Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The UK has gone to the dogs...what does this mean?

The UK has gone to the dogs...what does this mean?

Old May 19th 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK has gone to the dogs...what does this mean?

Originally Posted by BAY
Just tell that to the people who have lost their jobs , I'm sure they'll feel so much better

It is hard on those people who have lost their jobs but it does not necessarily reflect an entire nation. A lot of my friends, business owners included, suggest things are slower but not desperate and in fact some say that they haven't noticed any difference at all.
It does depend on your outlook and attitude. It certainly doesn't pay to be angry, bitter or resentful.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's true!!!!

Old May 19th 2009, 2:23 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricket1
It is hard on those people who have lost their jobs but it does not necessarily reflect an entire nation. A lot of my friends, business owners included, suggest things are slower but not desperate and in fact some say that they haven't noticed any difference at all.
It does depend on your outlook and attitude. It certainly doesn't pay to be angry, bitter or resentful.
I'm not bitter or resentful anymore ... I did that after being made redundant the 1st time ... you learn to get on with life. However, the UK is in a bad place at the moment. My brother has just been made redundant, one brother-in-law has had to take a 10% pay cut and another brother-in-law has been put on a 3 day week ... and they all live and work in different parts on the UK. Many peoples attitude seems to be that if I'm alright then everything must be ok with the UK, without any regard to those less fortunate, without accepting the reality of what is actually happening.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I'm not bitter or resentful anymore ... I did that after being made redundant the 1st time ... you learn to get on with life. However, the UK is in a bad place at the moment. My brother has just been made redundant, one brother-in-law has had to take a 10% pay cut and another brother-in-law has been put on a 3 day week ... and they all live and work in different parts on the UK. Many peoples attitude seems to be that if I'm alright then everything must be ok with the UK, without any regard to those less fortunate, without accepting the reality of what is actually happening.
But redundancies are happening here as well.

Does that mean that Australia has 'gone to the dogs'?

Just look at the WA mining industry for a start.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:45 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who hated the UK and could not wait to leave, arrived in Australia, hated Australia and couldn't wait to leave....been here two years and doing well...going home in two weeks for my first visit...I will give you my thoughts on whether the UK 'is down the shiter' sometime on my return in Mid-June.

...I know that you will all wait holding your breath til then.

My thoughts are that you see what you want to see in life and that reality is the reality that suits you at that point. These last years have taken me psychological and philosophically to places much more far reaching than I ever thought possible. I will be interested to see if the changed me sees the UK differently.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:47 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I don't recall Thatcher or the Tories leaving the UK saddled with huge debt !
It wasn't the UK who created the 'huge debt'. In any case, the debt they are now borrowing is necessary if the country is to be saved from really going to the dogs.
What do you think would happen if they stop their quantative easing and stop bailing out the UK?
Old May 19th 2009, 2:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BAY
It has all happened before, it's not new. It is uncomfortable while it lasts but it's a case of doing your best and staying hopeful. The UK has been hit hard because one of it's main industries has been in financial services sector.
It will pick up though. I don't think anyone is without empathy for anyone who has lost their job.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:59 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't the UK who created the 'huge debt'. In any case, the debt they are now borrowing is necessary if the country is to be saved from really going to the dogs.
What do you think would happen if they stop their quantative easing and stop bailing out the UK?
'It wasn't the UK who created the 'huge debt''

You are truely deluded
Old May 19th 2009, 3:04 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

You are truely deluded
Not being an economist, I still feel that I can add my tuppence worth. It appears that the UK was heavily dependent on the financial sector, when the amount of risk became untenable this meant that there was great deal of propping up needed in the economy, unfortunately the UK has allowed a great deal of deficit over a number of years, which means the UK is sitting in a wall of pain...how long this will take to recover from is not certain.

PS ask me next about medical theories...I am an armchair (in)expert in most subjects.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BAY

You are truely deluded
I'm deluded????

Wasn't it the rogue financial advisors in the US offering their 'liar loans' to people on low incomes, persuading them to take out mortgages they could not afford that began the current financial black hole?

OK, Gordon Brown may not be fiscally enlightened but I am. That's why I know that the UK is a very good place to establish my business right now. I can get premises for a knock down rent, staff very keen to turn up for work, and suppliers bending over backwards to meet my needs. I have never been able to achieve this in Australia although I also have a business here which will remain.

It's OK blaming and shaming people who you think have screwed you over but at the end of the day, we all owe it to ourselves to be financially educated regarding our own money.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by busterboy
Not being an economist, I still feel that I can add my tuppence worth. It appears that the UK was heavily dependent on the financial sector, when the amount of risk became untenable this meant that there was great deal of propping up needed in the economy, unfortunately the UK has allowed a great deal of deficit over a number of years, which means the UK is sitting in a wall of pain...how long this will take to recover from is not certain.

PS ask me next about medical theories...I am an armchair (in)expert in most subjects.
Why have I got a headache?
Old May 19th 2009, 3:13 am
A rather curious boy

Why have I got a headache?
It either from banging your head off of the desk repeatedly or from squeezing your nads... (yes I know)...
Old May 19th 2009, 3:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by busterboy
It either from banging your head off of the desk repeatedly or from squeezing your nads... (yes I know)...
Erm....I'm a girl.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:21 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

I'm deluded????

Wasn't it the rogue financial advisors in the US offering their 'liar loans' to people on low incomes, persuading them to take out mortgages they could not afford that began the current financial black hole?

OK, Gordon Brown may not be fiscally enlightened but I am. That's why I know that the UK is a very good place to establish my business right now. I can get premises for a knock down rent, staff very keen to turn up for work, and suppliers bending over backwards to meet my needs. I have never been able to achieve this in Australia although I also have a business here which will remain.

It's OK blaming and shaming people who you think have screwed you over but at the end of the day, we all owe it to ourselves to be financially educated regarding our own money.
So you've fallen for the NULabour spin that its a global problem and that NULabour and Brown aren't to blame for the UK's huge debt
Old May 19th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asprilla
I think that many Brits are starting to believe that the motherland's best years are behind her. Whether this is true or not, is merely a matter of opinion.

Why do people talk badly about the UK? The following points come up time and time again;

1) immigration
- an open policy with the EU permits citizens from all member countries to travel freely between borders. Some Brits feel that this is a bad thing.
- Britain has long been a target for illegal immigrants. Daily Mail readers will tell you it is because of all the free benefits that they receive - a grant for a car, food vouchers, luxury accommodation, free nights out at the local pub, you name it, they get it. But perhaps the real reason is because Britain is seen as a place where people are respected, can feel safe, and can work to earn a good living.
- multiculturalism. Many people find it easy to accept immigrants who "assimilate" and do british things like eat curries and get drunk, and speak english. But they are extremely fearful of people who move in next door but do not partake in these quintessentially british pursuits.

2) crime
- people in the UK are lead to believe that the streets are dangerous, and getting worse every day. When in reality their streets are probably no more dangerous than those in many other developed countries.

3) health
- the age old issue of the NHS and how it has been "at breaking point" for the past 20yrs or so...

4) weather
- Lets not kid ourselves here, the weather in the UK is generally terrible. On the plus side, this does make the nice days all that more enjoyable and does mean that the countryside is spectacular in many areas.

5) economy
- Recessions mean that some people lose their jobs, many others lose bonuses, peoples' wealth goes backwards, their businesses suffer and they generally feel miserable. But these events don't last forever so the current recession should not contribute towards the "going to the dogs" belief.
- having said that, the UK has taken a big hit in this recession. A large part of the UK's economy is dependent on financial services and the flow-on effect from those employed in this sector. This may have a long term negative effect on confidence.

6) Youth of today...
- Many brits feel there is a gulf between youths and adults, with little respect being shown by either side towards one another.

Personally I don't believe that the UK is going towards the dogs at all, I do however believe that there needs to be a renewed focus on education and the importance of enabling young people to communicate with others (of all ages and races) with respect. I think that there needs to be more done to discourage the drinking culture. I think that they could bring in some singapore-style fines for littering. And perhaps if they could add in a few more sunny days, many brits wouldn't feel bad about their lot.
What people forget is that the UK has a job market larger then the population of Australia or Canada for that matter so something must be happening there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.