Reload this Page >

UK electricians working in the U.S

UK electricians working in the U.S

Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:38 pm
Mr B

Default UK electricians working in the U.S

Hi all,

any UK electricians working in the U.S.
How did you find the transition? Rules, codes, etc.
Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Good luck to you all!!!

Old Jan 30th 2003, 4:19 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electricians working in the U.S

Originally posted by Mr B
Hi all,

Good luck to you all!!!

You will be back at square one, you won't be able to work unless you get US certificates to say you know the US codes and regulations. You will probably have to go back to school.

Patrick
Old Jan 30th 2003, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mr B
Hi all,

Good luck to you all!!!
My husband wasn't a certified electrician in the UK, but rather more of a "handy man" type.

My father is a certified electrician in the States. He and Philip have spent hours mulling over the similarities and differences.

Although they have been able to work together on many things I'm sure Patrick is right about having to essentially "start over" regarding certifications, etc. I'm also quite sure that many of the codes and inspections vary from state to state and maybe even city to city.

www.delmar-learning.com/ journeyman_electrician_exam.htm or www.electricianeducation.com/ might offer an answer or two to your questions.

You also might have luck searching for the Electrican's Board in the state you plan to reside in.

Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2003, 8:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that in certain major cities, such as New York and its outlying suburbs, an electrician that wishes to work in the construction area, rather than in private industry, will have to join a union. Some unions require sponsorship in order to get in.

Rita

Originally posted by jeninifer
My husband wasn't a certified electrician in the UK, but rather more of a "handy man" type.

My father is a certified electrician in the States. He and Philip have spent hours mulling over the similarities and differences.

Although they have been able to work together on many things I'm sure Patrick is right about having to essentially "start over" regarding certifications, etc. I'm also quite sure that many of the codes and inspections vary from state to state and maybe even city to city.

www.delmar-learning.com/ journeyman_electrician_exam.htm or www.electricianeducation.com/ might offer an answer or two to your questions.

You also might have luck searching for the Electrican's Board in the state you plan to reside in.

Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2003, 9:57 pm
Mr B

Thanks for the info

I have an industrial background (none of that housebashing nonsense), the
feedback I seem to be getting is that certification of the N.E.C. is mainly
required from installation companies.
I am currently reading the N.E.C. which is proving to be very similar to the
I.E.E. regs, so I guess I might have time for that bacon buttie after all.
How I miss good bacon !!!

Cheers,
Mr B

"pondhopper" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It depends how you go for things
    > I am an engineering manager and have secured a project engineers
    > position if and when TSC get off their backsides.
    > I agree that not knowing the US codes can make things difficult but as
    > our codes etc (UK) are generally more substantial than the US codes then
    > maybe you should be trying for a supervisors job instead of a
    > "sparkies" job??
    > Look what you are good at, any Special knoweldge and aim high, They can
    > always offer something less and you will be happy.
    > Having studied the so called "standards" in the USA then the Brits can
    > beat all of them without breaking sweat and still have time for a
    > bacon buttie.
    > You can always study while you work.
    > Charles
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Oh my lord.

I thought my husband was nuts when he spoke of chip "butties."

Are you nuts, too?

I am oh so American.

Jen
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:07 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeninifer
Oh my lord.

I thought my husband was nuts when he spoke of chip "butties."

Are you nuts, too?

I am oh so American.

Jen
LOL!!!!! I think I'm REALLY nuts!!!! Reading that has made my mouth water, and now I'm craving for a fried egg, bacon, and chip buttie, smothered in brown sauce!!! Slurp!!
Kate. xxxx