View Poll Results: What's your view of the UK's economic situation?
The UK economy is fine! What's the problem?
7.14%
The UK economy is in a bad place right now but will improve in the future.
71.43%
The UK is doomed! Leave, leave while you still can!
21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

UK economy

Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:58 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of
Default UK economy

If you don't know, much debate has been raging on here about the UK's economy. There are those who firmly believe that the UK is, to put it in the words of Frazer from Dad's Army, ''doomed''. Others are more optimistic.

What do you think?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK economy

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
If you don't know, much debate has been raging on here about the UK's economy. There are those who firmly believe that the UK is, to put it in the words of Frazer from Dad's Army, ''doomed''. Others are more optimistic.

What do you think?
Anyone who thinks the economy is currently fine must be deluded, by any standard of a "fine economy" (unless you are including third world standards).

It's fine for some individuals (and maybe for the individual who responded fine, everything is lovely), but nationally, I can't find any sensible rationale to say it's "fine".
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:12 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Anyone who thinks the economy is currently fine must be deluded, by any standard of a "fine economy" (unless you are including third world standards).

It's fine for some individuals (and maybe for the individual who responded fine, everything is lovely), but nationally, I can't find any sensible rationale to say it's "fine".
And no.. it wasnt me
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:14 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

As no one has opted for ''the UK is doomed'' option thus far I assume that BAY, hereandthere and Renth have yet to offer their votes.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:24 am
Banned

Aaah, we have a vote for ''doomed''.

I see hereandthere has been around.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

What do you think?
If you go back to around to the early 1990s, Canada's debt was spiraling out of control but a change of government and some prudent fiscal changes changed all of that around. The same happened in New Zealand a couple of decades previously. If you extrapolate all of the information from the graphs, in the future, the UK will be populated entirely by retired civil servants so some drastic changes are required, especially in this area.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but, having lived through those changes in NZ, it was painful and difficult. Lots of people who formally had government jobs were out of work as the government cut spending and that hurt race relations among other thngs. Health spending was cut, we had to start paying for doctors apppointments, all that kinds of stuff effects your quality of life.

Was it the right thing? Yes. But it was not easy. Considering the way people on MBBTUK hark back fondly to the NHS and the easy welfare now, I don't think big cuts to those things are going to be popular.

But was it worth it? Yes. It took a long time, though, for things to improve.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

As no one has opted for ''the UK is doomed'' option thus far I assume that BAY, hereandthere and Renth have yet to offer their votes.
Yup, just voted - "Doomed", natch.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
Nothing if not predictable.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
And what's with ''natch''; are you a 19 year old?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

And what's with ''natch''; are you a 19 year old?
Always trying to "start" aren't you?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

What do you think?
Like anywhere, the UK has it's pros and cons. But look at the unfortunate people on this site in places such as Goa and Spain who have had their homes reposessed by incompetent and corrupt governments. In many cases, this was through no fault of their own and their life savings have gone up in smoke. I have moved all over the World and have yet to find Utopia.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:03 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Please can we have a 'I don't give a stuff about the economy I want to live in the UK 'cos I love living here (and it's shed loads better than Perth Oz)' button.

Ta!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pommybird
Please can we have a 'I don't give a stuff about the economy I want to live in the UK 'cos I love living here (and it's shed loads better than Perth Oz)' button.

Ta!
To be fair, I think we have different requirements at different times of our lives. Like I was, I think younger people may often be in search of adventure and/or opportunity which is a good thing. However, some find it, some do not. I stayed in Canada for 24 years because I always managed to find a good job here and am now regretting it because I could probably have done just as well in other places. No doubt, Canada is very comfortable but if it is the land of opportunity any more, I am not so sure.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by pommybird

Ta!
Should have thought of that!