Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Driving License, moving from BC, Canada

UK Driving License, moving from BC, Canada

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Redranj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Driving License, moving from BC, Canada

I am moving to the UK next year and only have a Novice Driving License from Vancouver BC, Canada. I have only held the license for 2 months.

I understand that I am allowed to drive in the UK for up to 12 months but then have to exchange the my License for a UK/British License.

Will I be able to exchange the license, which is a N stage driving license, meaning I will need to drive for 2 years then pass to get a full license, for a full british license or will I only get a learners?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving License, moving from BC, Canada

Originally Posted by Redranj
I am moving to the UK next year and only have a Novice Driving License from Vancouver BC, Canada. I have only held the license for 2 months.

I understand that I am allowed to drive in the UK for up to 12 months but then have to exchange the my License for a UK/British License.

Will I be able to exchange the license, which is a N stage driving license, meaning I will need to drive for 2 years then pass to get a full license, for a full british license or will I only get a learners?

Thanks.
Have you tried the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks and I have been on the website and it does not say or I cannot find anything in regards to my question.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:15 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

If you follow the forms, it says you can drive 12 months after becoming a resident [is that 18 months total] then you have to get a provisional and pass the tests [because your license isnt eu/a few other countries.]

NOPE!

I just followed the convoluted forms another way, i think you can exchange your license, BUT to be sure, i really would contact the DVLA by phone when you arrive. They will either say you can exchange it or have to take the uk tests. The novice bit isnt mentioned anywhere online when you say its canadian, but who knows the ways of the inscrutible welsh people who run it.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 22nd 2017 at 6:24 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I think the issue is how the UK treats a Vancouver BC NOVICE license.

This is from 2011, but may be helpful.
WoofPuppy: Exchanging a Canadian Driver's Licence for a British Driving License

I agree with others that I would want a definitive answer from the DVLA to be sure.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, I will have to call dvla to get an answer but that link does say I can exchange for a full license but it is from 2011
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

DVLA will give you the definite answer. Give them a call. They're very helpful and Welsh. Bear in mind that you'll be restricted to an automatic licence if you passed your test in an automatic.

Also you don't need to wait six months before exchanging. You can do it straight away providing you are a resident of the UK, i.e. permission and intent to remain for more than six months.