Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK banks to stop access to funds

UK banks to stop access to funds

Old Oct 9th 2017, 2:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks to stop access to funds

Originally Posted by mrken30
But as we all know only UK residents are allowed UK bank accounts, or I am sure that is what the thought is. .....
Sorry, but as the UK is arguably better known for it banks and international banking services than any country other than perhaps Switzerland, that is, pardon my French, a load of old bö11öçķs!

And in any case, you have still failed to grasp that this new initiative is driven data provided by the government to the banks, not the banks combing their customer databases looking for iffy activity.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry, but as the UK is arguably better known for it banks and international banking services than any country other than perhaps Switzerland, that is, pardon my French, a load of old bö11öçķs!
And it is really easy to open a non-national bank account in the UK. Much easier than opening one in the US.

And in any case, you have still failed to grasp that this new initiative is driven data provided by the government to the banks, not the banks combing their customer databases looking for iffy activity.
And the following shows the banks are doing all the work themselves and using the Government supplied list. They are not putting the onus on the account holders.

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Got a standard letter from Barclays to say that from 1st January foreigners have to prove they have the right to live in UK. Clamping down I guess. I know a non resident cannot open a bank account in Canada and in South Africa so I guess banks here are starting to conform with the norm.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 3:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And it is really easy to open a non-national bank account in the UK ....
Yes, in deed it is.
.... Much easier than opening one in the US. ....
I don't agree with that as it is very common for foreigners/ non-residents to have accounts in the US, with either local or overseas addresses. Notable areas where this is true include areas where there is a substantial immigrant community such as Miami, or little Korea in Los Angeles. Anywhere where there are immigrants, there are foreigners opening accounts in the US using their relatives banking experience and/or borrowing their address. .... American banks just love people who accumulate substantial cash deposits and use few other banking services, so long as the money doesn't appear iffy and the customers don't do weird things in the accounts, such as deposit large amounts of cash.
.... And the following shows the banks are doing all the work themselves and ? using the Government supplied list. They are not putting the onus on the account holders.
I think you omitted a "not" from that paragraph.

That is something completely different, but not unreasonable under the circumstances, if the account holder is living in the UK, but you and your wife are not living in the UK, so I say again the issue that you started this thread to discuss doesn't apply to you and your wife.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2017 at 3:30 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The processes I have seen put in place for ERP systems to single out "do not trade with persons", quite often rely just on first name, last name, city and country. It is very difficult, even with city because different countries have different address formats and not all systems are smart enough to deal with that.

I am assuming the bank systems for illegal immigrants will work in a similar way to the "do not trade with" lists supplied by the US Government.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The processes I have seen put in place for ERP systems to single out "do not trade with persons", quite often rely just on first name, last name, city and country. It is very difficult, even with city because different countries have different address formats and not all systems are smart enough to deal with that.

I am assuming the bank systems for illegal immigrants will work in a similar way to the "do not trade with" lists supplied by the US Government.
Why would you assume that??? There is not the slightest connection between the two things.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Why would you assume that??? There is not the slightest connection between the two things.
How would you propose it works? I would think you take the Government database and do a match with the names and addresses of the accounts.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 9th 2017 at 8:20 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:01 pm

How would you propose it works? I would think you take the Government database and do a match with the names and addresses of the accounts.
But unless you know how the government is compiling it's data all speculation as to how the banks try to match it to their customer database, is pointless.

I would guess that a starting point would be known foreign passport holders known to have arrived in the UK, but not having departed after at least six months, and who haven't otherwise registered for an NI number.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No matter how the Government composes the list, the banks only have so much data on their customers. The banks do not have my NI number, passport number, etc. The only unique identifier they have is name and address.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:17 pm

No matter how the Government composes the list, the banks only have so much data on their customers. The banks do not have my NI number, passport number, etc. The only unique identifier they have is name and address.
How is the bank withholding and paying the tax due on your interest income if they don't have your NI number? Just like in the US, banks in the UK routinely ask for the relevant local tax ID number (in the UK that being your NI number) so they can accounts for the tax they are required to withhold.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interest in the UK is taxed at source, same as how MIRAS used to work. The tax is not then given to HMRC under my account. The tax was always taken at the basic rate. If you were a higher rate tax payer, you had to pay extra. Now everyone has £1000 tax free allowance. One of my accounts has been open since I was 8 years old. I did not have an NI number at that age. If you should not be paying tax, you have to claim it back from HMRC.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

How is the bank withholding and paying the tax due on your interest income if they don't have your NI number? Just like in the US, banks in the UK routinely ask for the relevant local tax ID number (in the UK that being your NI number) so they can accounts for the tax they are required to withhold.
I am pretty sure that when we were abroad, even though both my husband and I had NI numbers, the bank never withheld funds to pay taxes. We had to submit tax returns each year and at that point would declare any interest accrued on our account.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by michali
I am pretty sure that when we were abroad, even though both my husband and I had NI numbers, the bank never withheld funds to pay taxes. ....
When you are living abroad (not in the UK), they don't have to/shouldn't withhold taxes. .... But Mr Ken is contending that his bank doesn't even have his NI number.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:03 am

Interest in the UK is taxed at source, same as how MIRAS used to work. The tax is not then given to HMRC under my account. The tax was always taken at the basic rate. If you were a higher rate tax payer, you had to pay extra. Now everyone has £1000 tax free allowance. One of my accounts has been open since I was 8 years old. I did not have an NI number at that age. If you should not be paying tax, you have to claim it back from HMRC.
You are living in your own little world, again.

How does HRMC know you have paid tax, that can be reclaimed if the bank hasn't forwarded tax "deducted at source" citing your NI number? HMRC just takes on trust any number you just happen to throw down on a tax return, do they?

I too have an account/ bank relationship that goes back to when I was a small child, and later when the account was transferred to my signature authority, the bank asked for my NI number, for tax reporting purposes. I can't imagine why you were not asked for yours.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you are living abroad (not in the UK), they don't have to/shouldn't withhold taxes. .... But Mr Ken is contending that his bank doesn't even have his NI number.
Registering for gross interest: forms R85, IF17 and R105

From 6 April 2016, the interest on your non-ISA savings is automatically paid tax-free, so you don't need to fill in forms to register or de-register for gross interest.
This means that forms R85, IF17 and R105 are now obsolete.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got my verification letters from HSBC, HSBC Safeguard. It does not ask for NI number, just asks for a passport and utility bill. They do give me the option to upload to secure online server or mail back the documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.