Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK banks to stop access to funds

UK banks to stop access to funds

Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK banks to stop access to funds

The UK is about to implement a rule where illegal immigrants are not able to access funds. Does anyone know how they will determine the list? If I am not on the electoral register and have an account will I be affected accidently?

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...d-633ddfa0afca
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks to stop access to funds

If you read the link you posted, the scrub by banks will be for people the Home Office identified as possibly in the UK illegally, NOT a scrub of citizenship data for all customers.

In other words, the Home Office provides the list of potential problems, and the banks look for those people in their customer list. The banks are NOT required to create their own list of potential problem cases based on suspicious or missing data.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you read the link you posted, the scrub by banks will be for people the Home Office identified as possibly in the UK illegally, NOT a scrub of citizenship data for all customers.

In other words, the Home Office provides the list of potential problems, and the banks look for those people in their customer list. The banks are NOT required to create their own list of potential problem cases based on suspicious or missing data.
So how is the home office producing the list? Can they be relied on to get it right?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Given that you're a British citizen and not in the UK I can't see how it's going to affect you.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have had problems keeping my UK account open as a non UK resident due to CRS. UK banks are getting more difficult to deal with, especially as a US tax payer. Which again reminds me that I need to somehow put my wife on my UK accounts, which is virtually impossible.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Just another example of how authoritarian and totalitarian methods are increasingly accepted as "normal"
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess they do make mistakes. You also have to assume that the systems the banks use work properly to identify people. Banks may be over cautious and use credit reporting agency information alongside the home office list. I already fail the experian identity check in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-bank-accounts

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 8th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I guess they do make mistakes. You also have to assume that the systems the banks use work properly to identify people. Banks may be over cautious and use credit reporting agency information alongside the home office list. I already fail the experian identity check in the UK. ....
As a British citizen and former long-term resident, with a long history of working and paying taxes in the UK, and with an NI number, I am not in the least bit worried.

As your life, based on your BE postings, seems to lurch from one perceived crisis to another, you are free to "guess" and "assume" whatever your apparent paranoia dictates.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Got a standard letter from Barclays to say that from 1st January foreigners have to prove they have the right to live in UK. Clamping down I guess. I know a non resident cannot open a bank account in Canada and in South Africa so I guess banks here are starting to conform with the norm.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

My husband (the non-EU citizen) got weekly letters from HSBC asking for various bits of information, most of which they have already asked for numerous times. Me being British and not wanting to make a fuss just went along with it. But finally I got pissed off enough to pull the "we are Premier account holders and could we please see someone who deals with those accounts" card. So far so good. Although...it's only been a week
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! We have not had letters from HSBC or NatWest as yet. Our NatWest accounts were opened in 1992 and 1993 when we were non-residents so it shows how things have changed! Life was so easy in those days!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

As your life, based on your BE postings, seems to lurch from one perceived crisis to another, you are free to "guess" and "assume" whatever your apparent paranoia dictates.
As an esteemed member of the paranoia club, I have empathy with the OP's concern. Our accounts are in joint names. If a mistake were to be made, then what about my share as a UKC? Also, should we be unfortunate enough to have to leave the UK (ie failed ILR application) what happens to our accounts as non-residents? I hope we would have to opportunity to move out all our funds before the accounts are frozen. These are not issues I dwell upon but they do exist!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by michali
.... Also, should we be unfortunate enough to have to leave the UK (ie failed ILR application) what happens to our accounts as non-residents? ....
As non-residents the matter simply wouldn't apply to you because it relates to people in the UK illegally.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
Interesting! We have not had letters from HSBC or NatWest as yet. Our NatWest accounts were opened in 1992 and 1993 when we were non-residents so it shows how things have changed! Life was so easy in those days!
Surprised you haven't heard from HSBC. They don't seem at all concerned with the wastage of paper and postage. Every time we go into our local branch to try to rectify the matter, they always say: "Can't think why you are getting these letters. Everything is in order."

I think not - at least on your end, mate
Old Oct 9th 2017, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As non-residents the matter simply wouldn't apply to you because it relates to people in the UK illegally.
But as we all know only UK residents are allowed UK bank accounts, or I am sure that is what the thought is. Are bank account owners we know that not to be true.

So I am assuming to prove you have right to abode in the UK you have to provide a copy of a current UK driving license or current UK passport. I have neither.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.