UK Ancestry Visa

Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

bethv is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK Ancestry Visa

Hello!

I'm British and currently in Canada with my husband to be, we are getting married in England in May 2018 and are looking at moving over to the UK that summer. He is Canadian and can apply for what looks like 3 different visas; Tier 2 Shortage Occupation Worker, Spouse Visa, and the Ancestry Visa. While looking on the UK GOV website, it seems that the easiest visa for him to get would be the Ancestry one.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on visas for him, and on any immigration lawyers in Canada (Southern Ontario preferably) that I can talk to. As I really don't want to mess the applications up and me be there, and him stuck here in Canada.

Thanks in advance,

Beth
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Ancestry Visa

Originally Posted by bethv
Hello!

I'm British and currently in Canada with my husband to be, we are getting married in England in May 2018 and are looking at moving over to the UK that summer. He is Canadian and can apply for what looks like 3 different visas; Tier 2 Shortage Occupation Worker, Spouse Visa, and the Ancestry Visa. While looking on the UK GOV website, it seems that the easiest visa for him to get would be the Ancestry one.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on visas for him, and on any immigration lawyers in Canada (Southern Ontario preferably) that I can talk to. As I really don't want to mess the applications up and me be there, and him stuck here in Canada.

Thanks in advance,

Beth
Hi Beth, welcome to BE

If your fiance has/had a Brit grandparent, then the ancestry visa is definitely the easiest and cheapest way to go. I believe that after 5 years he could apply for indefinite leave to remain, and then citizenship. A spouse visa is very expensive, you need to apply for a total of 3 visas over 5 years and meet financial, accommodation, relationship and other criteria at each stage.

Up to you but you really don't need an immigration lawyer/agent for an ancestry visa, unless your fiance has an adverse immigration history, criminal record or other complications. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who can help you out for free.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you ever so much. Yes, his grandmother was born in Wales. I thought it seemed the easiest option. Thank you ever so much for your advice. I guess we'll start the process soon
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Would I also be able to add to the first question, to save us getting the Marriage Visitor Visa, does anyone know if once we have the Ancestry Visa you can enter into a legal marriage within the UK?

Thanks again
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ever so much. Yes, his grandmother was born in Wales. I thought it seemed the easiest option. Thank you ever so much for your advice. I guess we'll start the process soon
You're very welcome. If you/your fiance have any questions about the ancestry visa, best to post them here Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

I'm on the first stage of my spouse visa. I was eligible to apply for an ancestry visa as I'm Australian and 3 of my grandparents were Brits, but as it's a working visa and I have no intentions of working (late 50s, have done my time!) I had to go the spouse visa route.

Best of luck and don't forget that BE is here if you get stuck, or just have a question
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing your fiance is planning to work then the Ancestry visa is by far the best option and, yes, he can marry legally in the UK whilst resident on an Ancestry visa.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you both, any other questions I will for sure be adding to visa area of the forum.

One last quick thing, if we were to apply for the visa now, go and give notice of marriage in December, then come back to Canada until the following May would the visa still be valid?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:27 am
Concierge

Thank you both, any other questions I will for sure be adding to visa area of the forum.

One last quick thing, if we were to apply for the visa now, go and give notice of marriage in December, then come back to Canada until the following May would the visa still be valid?
Brit in Paris will probably be able to answer that. I'd have thought that as it's a working visa, the expectation would be that the visa holder would be required to be living and working in the UK for the majority of the visa validity period, but that's just a guess.

Remember that you can only apply for this visa a maximum of 3 months in advance.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The visa is valid for five years. Your fiance can come and go as he pleases over that period. However any extended absences from the UK are likely to affect his eligibility for ILR and British citizenship at the end of those five years. In the long run it would be better to pay for a marriage visitor visa to give notice and only apply for the Ancestry visa ahead of the wedding next year.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I think that is what we will do, its not much in the bigger picture of things. Thanks again!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

It is possibly worth mentioning that the UK ancestry visa is for people who are able and intending to work in the UK. Not for non-working disabled, retired or etc..
Just a minor point in 90+% of cases.

Last edited by holly_1948; Aug 23rd 2017 at 10:17 am.