Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Two months back from USA. Update.

Two months back from USA. Update.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:13 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all
Default Two months back from USA. Update.

Hi all, just wanted to let you know how we are getting along. We moved to the Stroud area in Gloucestershire from Berkeley, California about 2 months ago with 3 young children and a dog. My husband is from the USA. So, the move was pretty stressful but it is over! We are all in, kids in school, husband has found an office nearby which he can walk to. So far, since I have calmed down after the actual move, I feel so happy to be back here. The countryside is just stunning, we have been for some glorious walks on footpaths which are all over the place through amazing scenery, old stone walls, springs coming out of hillsides, ancient buildings, cows and horses and sheep roaming around. We see my Mum nearly every week which is why we wanted to come back, she is loving seeing the children and I am LOVING seeing her so often. My sister lives about 50 minutes away and we have seen her and her kids alot too which is great for all us, my kids feel like they have a larger family. There is a depth and gravity to the UK, a history with makes it to appealling to me. And it is BEAUTIFUL where we are living, breathtaking. There is lot of locally grown food here, free range eggs down the road, great beer and cider! Alot of talk about climate change, green building etc. I walk into town with baby alot and it is so pretty with lots of great second hand shops and other independent shops, no shopping malls in this town - hoorah! Great pubs, great humour. Negative things are really missing our friends in the USA, my son who is 8 especially misses his mates and I miss my close girl-friends. Missing Mexican food and the great food in CA. Most people are white - not much diversity but then it is the countryside. People are more down-beat and standoffish than they are in CA and there is that old reverse snobbery and class thing still going strong. I just ignore it will hang out with who I like. People put others down more here. Cars drive too fast. Peple are alot fatter than they used to be (sorry to say that!) and ALOT of people smoke even though it is so expensive. We don't have a TV so we don't get all the bad news, just listen to Radio 4 which is great. All in all, I feel at home again and just feel like I am in the right place and am totally happy that we made the move after feeling wierd and unsettled for so long. We are going to give it two years and then re-assess. I will write again in a couple more months for more updates! Cheers. Erica x
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two months back from USA. Update.

Glad to hear the move went well Erica and you sound settled. There's always good and bad points about anywhere that we decide to live, but I think it comes down to that "gut" feeling of where you feel at home. Enjoy your time with your family and I hope that you all feel settled after this move, including your hubby. Good luck for the future and keep us posted as to how everyone's feeling
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update Erica
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:59 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Great update.

Good to hear both the pluses and minuses that you ahve found.
I swear that it is a far harder decision to return than it is to move in the first place. First one is an adventure - gotta try it - it'll be great. The return trip is full of worries of if it is the right thing.

Thats what I am finding anyhow.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Hi Erica good to hear you are enjoying life. So how is Stroud, we moved from there to Canada and really really hope to back by next September!!!
Lots of great places to visit and I'm sure you will make long lasting friendships very soon. Which part did you end moving to PM if you want and I can tell the good places to go and the ones to avoid.....mind you may have all changed in the 4 years we have been gone
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:01 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Hi, we are in Nailsworth - well Windsoredge which overlooks the valley. Gorgeous view and now it is getting very autumnal so the trees are beautiful. A few weeks ago everyone was huddled in the hedgerows picking blackberries and sloes (for sloe gin) apples and pears, now its mushrooms. Yes, coming back was alot harder than going because it is a known quantity, not so much of a mystery, like going back to an ex-boyfriend! You know it warts and all and when it is your country of birth you feel some more sense of responsibility for it. When I was in the USA and there was awful stuff on the news I could somehow hover above and not feel so embroiled in it because I didn't feel that sense of ownership. Anyway, it really is good to be home, I am looking forward to bonfire night!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Ha! Small world yes I know Nailsworth very well, I lived there as a kid and my Dad still does (overlooking Shortwood) Very pretty little market town. Williams Kitchen is good if you haven't already tried it.

Are Ebley fireworks going ahead this year? They are usually very good.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear your update!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the davis family
Ha! Small world yes I know Nailsworth very well, I lived there as a kid and my Dad still does (overlooking Shortwood) Very pretty little market town. Williams Kitchen is good if you haven't already tried it.

Are Ebley fireworks going ahead this year? They are usually very good.
Hi just wanted to wish OP all the best on their return just feeling a bit homesick for that area at the mo as middle son works in Stroud and loves it we spent many happy times up there walking in Cranham and then shuffling of for a drink at the woolpack ~happy times