TV/internet/phone fog

Old May 21st 2015, 2:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV/internet/phone fog

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We use BT for everything, unlimited fibre broadband, land line etc, deals are always changing but usually BT will give you a good deal if you take a 12 month contract. With the BT unlimited you also get, free, BT sports if you want, has as many Prem League as SKY.
We have a smart TV, which gives us access to all iplayer, ITV player etc for catch up. and ours also has 2 USB and HDMI slots so you can plug a flash driver in or a SKY NOW TV box or ROKU or AMAZON Prime stick. Almost all TVs are Freeview enabled which gives you some 70 TV channels, all the main ones, BBC, ITV, Chan 4, Chan 5 and their + channels that show you what was on the main channel but one hour later. BBC does not have those.
We pay for our license monthly, but you can also do it weekly, by DD. SKY NOW TV box gives you packages for movies, entertainment, Sport that are paid for in monthly, or, in the case of the Sports, daily packages.

Moving back to the UK you may have some difficulties with some of the providers as you are not on the electoral roll, and do not have utility bills, we were told theat it would be a number of months to get Talk Talk etc, so went with BT who didn't have the restrictions.
Ooof, it didn't even cross my mind that we'd have trouble due to not being on the electoral roll, no utility bills, no credit rating etc. I was thinking that this would only be a problem if we wanted credit. Something else to put on the list - thanks for the heads up mikelinks
Old May 21st 2015, 2:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This may well be true. BT were a pain, with having to wait for three weeks for the engineer to come around, but no problems with account setup and arranging for direct debits etc. Same for water bill, electricity, council tax, and other regular bills. At no point did anyone balk at my lack of credit or past history. All seemed very willing to set up accounts, I assume they feel they are not risking much loss and can always cut you off if you fail to pay.
Sounds as though the 'discretionary' utilities such as internet and phone will be more of a hassle than the necessaries like water and electricity. Leaning towards BT for the former now, thanks to the advice from BE members Scouse already has a UK bank account, so that might help a bit with direct debits.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:39 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=the1mag;11649866]I've been back in the UK for about seven months now and it's like the wild west for TV, internet etc., but I've looked into all the mobile/cell phone contract and PAYG packages from all the providers and for me the best deal for mobile service is with giffgaff https://giffgaff.com/

I had my phone unlocked before I left Canada and got a free SIM card from giffgaff sent to where I was going to be staying when I first arrived. Since being here I've been buying their £10 a month package which gives me 500 minutes, 1GB data and unlimited texts.

You don't have to pay for incoming calls here, and there's no extra cost to call anywhere in the UK.

You might want to look at the Money Saving Expert website [url=http://www.moneysavingexpert.com and sign up for his newsletter. All kinds of information about everything you can think of including this stuff. I ended up with EE for internet after seeing in the newsletter that after three months they gave new customers a £120 Amazon voucher which is not unusual, happens fairly often with the various providers.

Maggie[/QUOTE]

Thanks heaps for that very useful information, Maggie. I'm amazed (and delighted) that you can get a mobile phone provider that lets you make calls for the same price right across the UK. I'm liking the sound of the Amazon vouchers as well! I hope you've settled in well in the 7 months since you've arrived.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by mikelincs
ALL properties are being changed to water meters, and I suspect that most, except for the more remote places, will already be changed. If you haven't got one you can ask the local water people to put one in, but then you can still decide, if you think it appropriate, to be charged on the old system, if they come and change it as part of their inmprovement scheme, then you have to go with the meter charges.
Something else that is done quite differently to how it is in Australia. Here, you pay your 'water rates' once a year, to a State government department, it's around AU$1,200 a year where I live. That's just for getting a water supply- we also have water metres installed and the meter reader comes around every two months, takes a reading of what we've used, and then we get a bill for every litre of water we use. Understandable I suppose, since water is so scarce here.

So under the 'old' UK system, you paid a set charge once a year to the local Council, but under the new system you pay for what you actually use?
Old May 21st 2015, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by michali
That is interesting about being changed to a water meter. No sign of that in our London area. Only concern would be if you have a leak and cannot get a plumber quickly! Signing on to utilities is SO easy here! We had Virgin Media TV, Internet and landline services set up within about a week but, as my husband loves TV and sports we went for a more expensive package( which seems to go up a couple of pounds every couple of months!) As we do not go out much for entertainment but walk a lot, it is worth it for us.
Good to know that you didn't have any hassles setting it all up, michali. I've been in the 'water leak' situation! But because all of the equipment is owned by the State run Water Corporation, they take responsibility for any additional costs caused by the leaks - what they usually do is take an average of your last 6 bills and charge you that.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rebs
Utilities & Phones

I've used the MSE cheap energy club and found that very useful.
another great link, thanks rebs.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by aries
Also a good idea to check out broadband stability and speed before you settle somewhere.

I have a relative in Lincolnshire who has considerable dropping out problems, but mine is stable on about 75 Mbps using fibre optic.
I wonder if it varies within a city, or only in different counties? For example, within different areas of Liverpool, or 'over the water' (the Wirral).
Old May 21st 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Something else that is done quite differently to how it is in Australia. Here, you pay your 'water rates' once a year, to a State government department, it's around AU$1,200 a year where I live. That's just for getting a water supply- we also have water metres installed and the meter reader comes around every two months, takes a reading of what we've used, and then we get a bill for every litre of water we use. Understandable I suppose, since water is so scarce here.

So under the 'old' UK system, you paid a set charge once a year to the local Council, but under the new system you pay for what you actually use?
We pay £30 a month for our water in London, based I think on size of home, number of people living there, etc. £103 a month for electricity which will go down in summer when the heating is not on. £100 a month council tax. £94 for TV/landline/broadband and I pay £16 a month for my mobile phone. Then we have various rates and taxes. One can eat quite well and cheaply here but I don't as I am too tempted by all the lovely things I have missed!
Old May 21st 2015, 6:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks heaps for that very useful information, Maggie. I'm amazed (and delighted) that you can get a mobile phone provider that lets you make calls for the same price right across the UK. .
you may want to check & read the giffgaff calling charges as well as available plans

https://giffgaff.com/goodybags-3g

https://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

https://giffgaff.com/compare-pay-as-you-go-tariffs

international call rates to OZ look to be a decent price

https://giffgaff.com/index/international
Old May 21st 2015, 6:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
We pay £30 a month for our water in London, based I think on size of home, number of people living there, etc. £103 a month for electricity which will go down in summer when the heating is not on. £100 a month council tax. £94 for TV/landline/broadband and I pay £16 a month for my mobile phone.

they appear to be very good running costs [estimating] ~ £300/mth average flat across 12 months

One can eat quite well and cheaply here but I don't as I am too tempted by all the lovely things I have missed!
pastries & sweet tooth delights for sure