TV/internet/phone fog

Old May 18th 2015, 10:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV/internet/phone fog

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Moving back to the UK you may have some difficulties with some of the providers as you are not on the electoral roll, and do not have utility bills, we were told theat it would be a number of months to get Talk Talk etc, so went with BT who didn't have the restrictions.
This may well be true. BT were a pain, with having to wait for three weeks for the engineer to come around, but no problems with account setup and arranging for direct debits etc. Same for water bill, electricity, council tax, and other regular bills. At no point did anyone balk at my lack of credit or past history. All seemed very willing to set up accounts, I assume they feel they are not risking much loss and can always cut you off if you fail to pay.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
good luck with the move over & settling in - hopefully your OH will make it over & settle soon
Thanks! I don't particularly enjoy lengthy transatlantic flights and dragging my wheely suitcase around, but I'm looking forward to getting there, taking a shower, meandering off to Tesco to buy a pint of milk and a bottle of good French wine.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back in the UK for about seven months now and it's like the wild west for TV, internet etc., but I've looked into all the mobile/cell phone contract and PAYG packages from all the providers and for me the best deal for mobile service is with giffgaff https://giffgaff.com/

I had my phone unlocked before I left Canada and got a free SIM card from giffgaff sent to where I was going to be staying when I first arrived. Since being here I've been buying their £10 a month package which gives me 500 minutes, 1GB data and unlimited texts.

You don't have to pay for incoming calls here, and there's no extra cost to call anywhere in the UK.

You might want to look at the Money Saving Expert website [url=http://www.moneysavingexpert.com and sign up for his newsletter. All kinds of information about everything you can think of including this stuff. I ended up with EE for internet after seeing in the newsletter that after three months they gave new customers a £120 Amazon voucher which is not unusual, happens fairly often with the various providers.

Maggie

Last edited by the1mag; May 18th 2015 at 11:13 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all TVs are Freeview enabled which gives you some 70 TV channels, all the main ones, BBC, ITV, Chan 4, Chan 5 and their + channels that show you what was on the main channel but one hour later. BBC does not have those.

Moving back to the UK you may have some difficulties with some of the providers as you are not on the electoral roll, and do not have utility bills, we were told theat it would be a number of months to get Talk Talk etc, so went with BT who didn't have the restrictions.
good info has been provided so far on TV, Phone, Broadband & cell/mobiles.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on utility bundle deals for Gas & lecky & whether the water meter is the way to go or keep with the council water charge?
Old May 19th 2015, 6:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

good info has been provided so far on TV, Phone, Broadband & cell/mobiles.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on utility bundle deals for Gas & lecky & whether the water meter is the way to go or keep with the council water charge?
ALL properties are being changed to water meters, and I suspect that most, except for the more remote places, will already be changed. If you haven't got one you can ask the local water people to put one in, but then you can still decide, if you think it appropriate, to be charged on the old system, if they come and change it as part of their inmprovement scheme, then you have to go with the meter charges.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting about being changed to a water meter. No sign of that in our London area. Only concern would be if you have a leak and cannot get a plumber quickly! Signing on to utilities is SO easy here! We had Virgin Media TV, Internet and landline services set up within about a week but, as my husband loves TV and sports we went for a more expensive package( which seems to go up a couple of pounds every couple of months!) As we do not go out much for entertainment but walk a lot, it is worth it for us.
Old May 19th 2015, 2:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

ALL properties are being changed to water meters, and I suspect that most, except for the more remote places, will already be changed. If you haven't got one you can ask the local water people to put one in, but then you can still decide, if you think it appropriate, to be charged on the old system, if they come and change it as part of their inmprovement scheme, then you have to go with the meter charges.
thanks Mike

To add to this thread, can anyone offer any suggestions or ways of getting the best deal on utilities for Gas & Electricity, maybe a bundle or recommendations on a lowest cost or best one of the better service provider?
Old May 19th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Mike

To add to this thread, can anyone offer any suggestions or ways of getting the best deal on utilities for Gas & Electricity, maybe a bundle or recommendations on a lowest cost or best one of the better service provider?
Utilities & Phones

I've used the MSE cheap energy club and found that very useful.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

My priority was to get things set up, and then I thought I'd tacke questions about best value etc. later. This was partly driven by lack of connectivity at first, since I had to wait several weeks for Internet and phone, so really all I had for the period when I was trying to set up utilities was a payg mobile and Internet at the public library (and BT hotspot across the road.)

That's why I went with BT and with E.ON for electricity, because the developers had electricity with E.ON and they switched it to me seamlessly with a phone call from the site manager with a meter reading.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My priority was to get things set up, and then I thought I'd tacke questions about best value etc. later. This was partly driven by lack of connectivity at first, since I had to wait several weeks for Internet and phone, so really all I had for the period when I was trying to set up utilities was a payg mobile and Internet at the public library (and BT hotspot across the road.)

That's why I went with BT and with E.ON for electricity, because the developers had electricity with E.ON and they switched it to me seamlessly with a phone call from the site manager with a meter reading.
It's also pretty difficult to get meaningful price comparisons until you have a reasonable idea about your usage level.
Old May 19th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Also a good idea to check out broadband stability and speed before you settle somewhere.

I have a relative in Lincolnshire who has considerable dropping out problems, but mine is stable on about 75 Mbps using fibre optic.
Old May 21st 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Also a good idea to check out broadband stability and speed before you settle somewhere.

I have a relative in Lincolnshire who has considerable dropping out problems, but mine is stable on about 75 Mbps using fibre optic.
Just the question I had - and asked elsewhere. Is there a website to check on this, and do the various providers differ in their capabilities or is it just a regional issue?
Old May 21st 2015, 2:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apskinner
I'm moving back this summer, I've chosen the following

TV - FreeView - no monthly outlay and you can get it Free over the air with a fair number of channels and you can also get a DVR to record programs when you aren't there.
e.g. £89.99 Buy LOGIK L5SSTB13 Freeview+ Recorder - 500 GB | Free Delivery | Currys

For Mobile I'm going for a EE (Everything Everywhere - was T-Mobile & Orange) PAYG
For £10/month I chose a data plan with 1GB Data 50 Mins/50Text they have other plans.
e.g. Price Plans | Pay As You Go 4G Phones | EE

For internet I agree with usng the compare websites because it depends on your location use this link to enter your postcode Compare Cheap Broadband Deals - MoneySuperMarket

You can see deals at £0 (plus £17 line rental) most include basic phone as they all use BT infrastructure. I'm going for this one, unlimited calls,

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product...lId=MONEYSMART

you can add international though to be honest I use Skype for overseas calls - usually cheaper and you can call landlines the other party doesn't need Skype though if they do it'll be free calls.
Thanks apskinner, great links and also good to know that you can make Skype calls to landlines.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No chance of that. You should try moving to England, they'd understand your accent no problem!

I'm moving to England the day after tomorrow, we should keep in touch! Hopefully my internet plus phone, which I switched off in March, will still work when I plug it back in!
Liverpool hasn't moved to Scotland - yet

Today's moving day for you! Hope it's all going well, I'll keep on the lookout for your posts
Old May 21st 2015, 2:30 pm
Concierge

that's a very good point on 'Freeview'

FYI, the following link is the 'Freeview TV guide' & if that is enough TV for you 50+ channels, then you wont need the premium TV channels

TV Guide | Freeview
Ta not2old, I didn't realize that there were so many Freeview channels. I gave up on free-to-air telly here years ago, I think we had 4 channels then but I believe there may be as many as 7 now. We ARE doing well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.