TV/internet/phone fog

Old May 18th 2015, 4:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV/internet/phone fog

I've started a list of things I'll need to do fairly soon after arriving in the UK, and setting up internet, tv and phone is causing me enormous headaches. I'm after some advice from those more knowledgeable than Scouse and I, which is probably most of you

I've tried to work it all out by researching online, have looked at sites like talktalk, sky, BT - but to be honest I'm more confused than when I started. There are so many 'packages', and I don't know what sort of telly I need, or if I need a set top box, in fact I'm woefully ignorant. If I give a brief description of what we're looking for, I'd really appreciate anyone chipping in with ideas.

Internet - Scouse and I share a laptop. We don't watch movies or play games on it, just general browsing and social media.

Phone - I want a mobile, Scouse will have one if he has to but prefers a landline (which I think we'll have to get anyway for the internet, unless we get wireless/mobile?) I'll be making quite a few phone calls back home to Oz (I miss my Mum and sisters already and I haven't even left!), and of course local (Liverpool) calls.

Pay TV - mainly for sports (football), 'lifestyle' type programs and documentaries.

What I think I'll need is a telly, a dvd player, some sort of TV license that I think you have to have over there, a landline, a pay tv subscription and an ISP. Any suggestions regarding providers, packages or even links to plain English websites that will help me through the maze would be great.

Bloody hard work, this moving lark. Hats off to all of you who've done it and survived!
Old May 18th 2015, 6:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV/internet/phone fog

I'm no expert and I'm a low tech person to be realistic..!

However, I just did this myself, since we purchased a new build flat in Norfolk and I just set it up for utilities, and furnished it etc. this February - March.

First off, everything went amazingly well, all vendors and utility people were super efficient. With the exception of setting up the phone and Internet. We went with BT, and had to wait a month for an engineer to come round (he was there for ten minutes). Apparently this is mandatory, even with a newly built place with all the infrastructure in place. You have to wait, with no phone and no internet, for somewhere between three and six weeks just because of scheduling the engineer.

EDIT. Sorry, cost of TV Licence is 145.50

Second, choice of vendor. I was told all those vendors like Talk-Talk etc. are just using BT infrastructure, essentially reselling BT services and bandwidth. So I simply went with BT. Virgin is the other option, with there own infrastructure, but only available in some, not all, streets and localities.

Then, packages. All include a line charge for 15 or 16 pounds a month. Then you pay some amount over this. I went with the cheapest package from BT at the time, 21 pounds a month, with the intention of upgrading if experience showed I need something better.

TV. Simply buy a smart tv. Then buy the TV licence (I think it's about 240 pounds a year.) Then, when you get your internet access in the house, you configure the TV to access the WiFi, just like you set up your tablet computer etc. to access the wifi. That is, using the TV remote, you put in your router ID and password etc. Then you have smart TV and can access BBC iPlayer etc!! No more walks, trips to the pub, visits to medieval churches etc. Just good BBC TV all the time. Basically, iPlayer gives you access to everything that's been on BBC TV for the past seven days.

Backtracking, if you don't want smart TV, then you have Freeview, free of charge, apart from the licence fee. All the regular TV channels AND all radio is available on Freeview ( radio three is channel 703, radio four is channel 704, etc.)

Last edited by robin1234; May 18th 2015 at 6:24 pm. Reason: Bad error in price
Old May 18th 2015, 6:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, for my twenty one pounds a month, I get a landline phone line with free calls in UK on weekends, I think it is. I'm not a big phone user. And, a certain limited amount of Internet use. It's fairly clear I'll have to upgrade to an unlimited use plan, since use of the smart TV for BBC iPlayer etc is all using bandwidth so probably unlimited is needed. Maybe more like 30 to 35 pounds a month. We pay $55 a month in US for similar, so very similar price...
Old May 18th 2015, 6:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm no expert and I'm a low tech person to be realistic..!

However, I just did this myself, since we purchased a new build flat in Norfolk and I just set it up for utilities, and furnished it etc. this February - March.

First off, everything went amazingly well, all vendors and utility people were super efficient. With the exception of setting up the phone and Internet. We went with BT, and had to wait a month for an engineer to come round (he was there for ten minutes). Apparently this is mandatory, even with a newly built place with all the infrastructure in place. You have to wait, with no phone and no internet, for somewhere between three and six weeks just because of scheduling the engineer.

EDIT. Sorry, cost of TV Licence is 145.50

Second, choice of vendor. I was told all those vendors like Talk-Talk etc. are just using BT infrastructure, essentially reselling BT services and bandwidth. So I simply went with BT. Virgin is the other option, with there own infrastructure, but only available in some, not all, streets and localities.

Then, packages. All include a line charge for 15 or 16 pounds a month. Then you pay some amount over this. I went with the cheapest package from BT at the time, 21 pounds a month, with the intention of upgrading if experience showed I need something better.

TV. Simply buy a smart tv. Then buy the TV licence (I think it's about 240 pounds a year.) Then, when you get your internet access in the house, you configure the TV to access the WiFi, just like you set up your tablet computer etc. to access the wifi. That is, using the TV remote, you put in your router ID and password etc. Then you have smart TV and can access BBC iPlayer etc!! No more walks, trips to the pub, visits to medieval churches etc. Just good BBC TV all the time. Basically, iPlayer gives you access to everything that's been on BBC TV for the past seven days.

Backtracking, if you don't want smart TV, then you have Freeview, free of charge, apart from the licence fee. All the regular TV channels AND all radio is available on Freeview ( radio three is channel 703, radio four is channel 704, etc.)
That's brilliant info Robin, thanks heaps. I wish the bloody providers could give instructions so clearly.

Hey, there'll be more walks and trips to the pub than watching TV! I'll also be looking for some volunteer work, if the scousers can understand my accent
Old May 18th 2015, 6:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, look at what you are paying for service for service right now in OZ - then, when you get to the UK you may wish to use that as your benchmark.

For your OP question you'll likely get many different opinions from several users.

I'm sure that you have started down this path, just that I found the following gives a broad brush of 'on offers'

Why not do a self quote from the following link to see what kind of 'bundle deals' are available

Telegraph.co.uk » Broadband, TV & phone deals - Save up to £457

Find TV, Broadband and Phone Packages - MoneySuperMarket

cell/mobile phone deals & planes including texting

Cheap mobile phones: compare, switch & save - MSE

Last edited by not2old; May 18th 2015 at 7:26 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, look at what you are paying for service for service right now in OZ - then, when you get to the UK you may wish to use that as your benchmark.

For your OP question you'll likely get many different opinions from several users.

I'm sure that you have started down this path, just that I found the following gives a broad brush of 'on offers'

When not do a self quote from the following link to see what kind of 'bundle deals' are available

Telegraph.co.uk » Broadband, TV & phone deals - Save up to £457

Find TV, Broadband and Phone Packages - MoneySuperMarket

cell/mobile phone deals & planes including texting

Cheap mobile phones: compare, switch & save - MSE
Great links not2old, thanks for taking the time. I'll have a good squizzy at them in the morning (this morning), my eyes are closing of their own accord - I'm still up at nearly 3am because my niece is viewing a house for us in Liverpool and I'm too excited to sleep. For an old lady, I'm awfully child-like sometimes

Good advice re benchmarking, but I hope I don't have to pay what I do here - I won't be able to afford it all!
Old May 18th 2015, 6:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Great links not2old, thanks for taking the time. I'll have a good squizzy at them in the morning (this morning), my eyes are closing of their own accord - I'm still up at nearly 3am because my niece is viewing a house for us in Liverpool and I'm too excited to sleep. For an old lady, I'm awfully child-like sometimes

Good advice re benchmarking, but I hope I don't have to pay what I do here - I won't be able to afford it all!
simple & easy OZ style as a quick guide

Virgin Media - Compare our best broadband, TV, mobile & phone bundles | Big Bundles
Old May 18th 2015, 8:51 pm
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving back this summer, I've chosen the following

TV - FreeView - no monthly outlay and you can get it Free over the air with a fair number of channels and you can also get a DVR to record programs when you aren't there.
e.g. £89.99 Buy LOGIK L5SSTB13 Freeview+ Recorder - 500 GB | Free Delivery | Currys

For Mobile I'm going for a EE (Everything Everywhere - was T-Mobile & Orange) PAYG
For £10/month I chose a data plan with 1GB Data 50 Mins/50Text they have other plans.
e.g. Price Plans | Pay As You Go 4G Phones | EE

For internet I agree with usng the compare websites because it depends on your location use this link to enter your postcode Compare Cheap Broadband Deals - MoneySuperMarket

You can see deals at £0 (plus £17 line rental) most include basic phone as they all use BT infrastructure. I'm going for this one, unlimited calls,

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product...lId=MONEYSMART

you can add international though to be honest I use Skype for overseas calls - usually cheaper and you can call landlines the other party doesn't need Skype though if they do it'll be free calls.
Old May 18th 2015, 8:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll also be looking for some volunteer work, if the scousers can understand my accent
No chance of that. You should try moving to England, they'd understand your accent no problem!

I'm moving to England the day after tomorrow, we should keep in touch! Hopefully my internet plus phone, which I switched off in March, will still work when I plug it back in!
Old May 18th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Robin1234 - how long have you been in US? Are you returning home for good? To the OP I wish I could offer some help but this posting will help me when I move back home whenever that may be;(
Old May 18th 2015, 9:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by apskinner
I'm moving back this summer, I've chosen the following

TV - FreeView - no monthly outlay and you can get it Free over the air with a fair number of channels and you can also get a DVR to record programs when you aren't there.
e.g. £89.99 Buy LOGIK L5SSTB13 Freeview+ Recorder - 500 GB | Free Delivery | Currys
that's a very good point on 'Freeview'

FYI, the following link is the 'Freeview TV guide' & if that is enough TV for you 50+ channels, then you wont need the premium TV channels

TV Guide | Freeview
Old May 18th 2015, 9:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by fulwood
Robin1234 - how long have you been in US? Are you returning home for good? To the OP I wish I could offer some help but this posting will help me when I move back home whenever that may be;(
I've been living in the US since 1991. I'm planning to become a resident in the UK on Thursday. However, my wife isn't ready to move to the UK so in practice I'll be going back and forth several times a year for the foreseeable future.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by not2old
that's a very good point on 'Freeview'

FYI, the following link is the 'Freeview TV guide' & if that is enough TV for you 50+ channels, then you wont need the premium TV channels

TV Guide | Freeview
Plus, if you have a smart tv and wifi, you also have access to BBC iPlayer, the channel 4 player, etc etc. All at no further fee, beyond the licence fee that everyone who owns a TV must have anyway..
Old May 18th 2015, 9:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've been living in the US since 1991. I'm planning to become a resident in the UK on Thursday.

However, my wife isn't ready to move to the UK so in practice I'll be going back and forth several times a year for the foreseeable future.
good luck with the move over & settling in - hopefully your OH will make it over & settle soon
Old May 18th 2015, 9:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We use BT for everything, unlimited fibre broadband, land line etc, deals are always changing but usually BT will give you a good deal if you take a 12 month contract. With the BT unlimited you also get, free, BT sports if you want, has as many Prem League as SKY.
We have a smart TV, which gives us access to all iplayer, ITV player etc for catch up. and ours also has 2 USB and HDMI slots so you can plug a flash driver in or a SKY NOW TV box or ROKU or AMAZON Prime stick. Almost all TVs are Freeview enabled which gives you some 70 TV channels, all the main ones, BBC, ITV, Chan 4, Chan 5 and their + channels that show you what was on the main channel but one hour later. BBC does not have those.
We pay for our license monthly, but you can also do it weekly, by DD. SKY NOW TV box gives you packages for movies, entertainment, Sport that are paid for in monthly, or, in the case of the Sports, daily packages.

Moving back to the UK you may have some difficulties with some of the providers as you are not on the electoral roll, and do not have utility bills, we were told theat it would be a number of months to get Talk Talk etc, so went with BT who didn't have the restrictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.