Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why listen to what a relative has said? apply for some jobs and just try it.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
What your relative thinks is entirely irrelevant, except that you shouldn't ask them for a job reference. That is the sort of relative that you would be better off without.
It's a rare day I agree with Pulaski, but this.

Chips, you don't need 'em.

Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why listen to what a relative has said? apply for some jobs and just try it.
Yah I do have to agree with this. If someone told me 'hmmm, I can't see you doing that" I would say oh ok, thanks for your input, was hoping you could be supportive but hey ho, I'm doing it anyway
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I am kind of dependent on those relatives in question for an address for the 3 months wait to get back in the system, and as an address for job applications. I come from an overbearing family, little I can do about it, I am afraid. Thanks for all the replies, anyone hail from the NW of England perchance?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
Unfortunately I am kind of dependent on those relatives in question for an address for the 3 months wait to get back in the system, and as an address for job applications. I come from an overbearing family, little I can do about it, I am afraid. Thanks for all the replies, anyone hail from the NW of England perchance?
I'm on the Wirral so a 10 minute train trip into Liverpool, but I've only been here for 9 months so I probably can't tell you much that's useful.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah OK, I did hear that is quite a posh area, just joshing, I've never been, just what I have heard. Have been to liverpool though, my mum hails from near that area.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Sint. Elens! Can't help you out as I'm in New Zealand but good luck with what you decide to do. Do your over-bearing family need to know what your plans are, what jobs you are applying for etc.?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
Ah OK, I did hear that is quite a posh area, just joshing, I've never been, just what I have heard. Have been to liverpool though, my mum hails from near that area.
Hahaaa! There are some posh parts, and there are parts that are definitely far from posh. I'm an in-betweenie (New Brighton).
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:19 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm from Sint. Elens! Can't help you out as I'm in New Zealand but good luck with what you decide to do. Do your over-bearing family need to know what your plans are, what jobs you are applying for etc.?
St Elens You'd never hear someone from around these parts call it anything else (including my husband!). They sure don't waste the old H.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
St Elens You'd never hear someone from around these parts call it anything else (including my husband!). They sure don't waste the old H.
sint'elins or 'summut lyke' that....all in good fun of course - commonly refered to as a 'woolyback or plastic scouser'
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What do you mean "no current British driving licence"? Aren't British DLs always issued until your 70th birthday? Mine certainly was.

If you have just physically lost it, you should be easily able to get it replaced. .... Or are you just alluding to your licence having been suspended?
Driving licenses only last 10 years now. It you have the old non valid paper license you will probably need to change it to a plastic one when/if you return. The expiration date is the second date on the photo license.

You can renew your license for £14 https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 27th 2016 at 1:47 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Driving licenses only last 10 years now. It you have the old non valid paper license you will probably need to change it to a plastic one when/if you return. The expiration date is the second date on the photo license.

You can renew your license for £14 https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
The licence is still valid to the age 70, but, yes you do need to get a new photocard every 10 years.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no paper license anymore. You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 27th 2016 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
There is no paper license anymore
I didn't say there was... did I.. it's just that you do not need to get a new license every 10 years, yes the photocard one needs renewing, but it's still based on the time you passed your test.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Technically it lasts past 70 then. You are not required to take a new test at 70.The only difference is that you renew every 3 years instead of 10. You could be 79 before you have to renew. That's if you renewed your license at 69. https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 27th 2016 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bite the bullet and go for a teaching job in the Gulf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.