Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Oh, no problem with the suggestions, and I am certainly grateful.

Anyway today is D day, so I'll get back to you, hoping for hope...
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In trouble and the sun is not all it is cracked up to be....back to UK, but how?

Originally Posted by chipsncurry

Good luck!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

What is your age, and what experience/schooling/qualifications have you got behind you?

Teaching (especially English) is in high demand in certain countries. If you think you have a reasonable chance of gaining a position as an English teacher, you should look well beyond Europe.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

A good point calman, but the only countries that provide air fare upfront are the gulf ones and s korea......financially, not really an option, but thanks, I know your advice is meant with the best of intentions.

Last edited by chipsncurry; Jul 12th 2016 at 10:19 am.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
Good luck!
Thanks angie.

To be fair, I can respect that my family members want me out, and also that a remaining family member in the UK wants nothing to do with me....but it is all pretty upsetting.

But a friend helped me put it all in perspective, just because I'm not seeing eye to eye with certain people, and there are family disagreements, life still goes on regardless. Quite true really.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Am I being a bit dim here.

Are you in your 40's ; your 20's ; your 30's.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

And if I say to you.... CHINA??..
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

late 30s, China, been there, done it, and the visa regs are a real pisser...I'd consider Taiwan though.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:01 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Along the same lines, seasonal work with the Youth Hostels Association. Accommodation provided, meagre wages, and gives you a chance to look around for different opportunities. (Many of these types of position can become year round, anyway.)

https://jobs.yha.org.uk/2016-season/

YHA is just one example of live in positions, so you don't need to be paying rent before you even know if you can get a job...
Working at a hostel is definitely a possible option. Have worked at one myself. Can be a little like animal house and pledging with a fraternity, but certainly a decent temp solution till a better one is found. I worked at a hostel that has a smoke room(weed) which made the guest a bit demonstrative most days.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Many of these posts, and the YHA ones are likely to need police clearance, so that has to be taken into account.
Getting the check shouldn't be a problem I had one for working in the NHS just a few weeks after arriving in the UK after living in the US over 25 years.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this thread and can't see where OP is looking for a way to get out of working? I can see they thanked people for good suggestions and where something wasn't suitable for what seems like valid reasons, given an explanation.

Unless I've missed somethings and there are other posts... I'm not going to look, life is too short.

However, OP sounds to me you're genuinely looking for something to do and I second/third? someone's suggestion of hostel work. Good way to meet folk from different lands too.

All the very best from me.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you end up? Hope you landed on your feet.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

@Still Game, thanks, willing to work and caring is something I thought of. But I then got told by a relative that I would not make a good carer, and this is the crap I am up against.Any idea I put forward for a future job to change/improve my situation gets pissed upon, but it is what it is. Thanks for your post though!!!

@Lion in Winter: Feel like I am at the end of a very long tunnel, with a candle about to burn out, and not being able to see any light at the other end. Thanks though!!!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

@Still Game, thanks, willing to work and caring is something I thought of. But I then got told by a relative that I would not make a good carer, and this is the crap I am up against.Any idea I put forward for a future job to change/improve my situation gets pissed upon, but it is what it is. Thanks for your post though!!!

@Lion in Winter: Feel like I am at the end of a very long tunnel, with a candle about to burn out, and not being able to see any light at the other end. Thanks though!!!
Why listen to what a relative has said? apply for some jobs and just try it.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

@Still Game, thanks, willing to work and caring is something I thought of. But I then got told by a relative that I would not make a good carer, and this is the crap I am up against. ....
What your relative thinks is entirely irrelevant, except that you shouldn't ask them for a job reference. That is the sort of relative that you would be better off without.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.