Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Trains and buses in thebUK

Trains and buses in thebUK

Old Jul 25th 2015, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default Re: Trains and buses in thebUK

Originally Posted by windsong
Someone from Scotlsnd told me recently that both buses and trains are free for senior citizens (over 60 I assume) in Scotlsnd but that in Englanf only the buses are free to them, not the trains. Is this true?

Also where do I buy a pass to get on the buses in England - and Scotland for that matter.
No. Trains are not free for over 60's in Scotland

There are differences between Scotland and other parts of the UK and variations within Scotland.

1 The qualifying age is still 60 for men and women

2 The pass can be used on long distance coaches (Megabus /National Express ) as well as local buses. On trips to London from Inverness, I often book from Glasgow or Edinburgh and use my bus pass for the first 180 miles
NB It's not always cheaper.

3 Only over 60's living in the Edinburgh area can use the new trams for free

4 I'm not sure about Strathclyde Passenger Transport (Glasgow and environs) give their over 60's

5 In my area of the Highlands there is no restriction on travel before 9.30