BE is too funny!

Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE is too funny!

Yup I agree with the OP.

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014;one thing that makes me laugh is the diversity of views of the UK. [COLOR="Blue"
Yup, me too, I agree.[/COLOR]
On the Canada board, for example, there is the "it's so horrible in the UK, life is perfect in Canada", Yeah, I've noticed that. I agree that for Canada insert country of choice. For me, Canada seems about as much fun as New Zealand as a place to live.
then you hope over here and there are whole threads dedicated to heartwarming stories of happy returns to the UK, glorifying the food, the weather (yes the weather!), the shopping, the kindness of the people, etc... Yup, again I agree with this.
It makes me giggle. Smirk, chortle and laugh as well for me.
Did you (those returning rovers) appreciate all the UK had to offer before you left? Yes, but I felt that NZ would be more or less, 'level transfer' with regard to living. Um, I'll get back to you on that.
Or did absence make the heart grow fonder? Yes. I always knew living in NZ wasn't forever. Since being here I miss England and the life we once had there. Yes it had it's attendant problems but so does life in NZ. I don't have the emotional ties to NZ that my husband has. I also prefer Christmas in the winter and June, July and August being summer. (This is not to become a discussion about the weather !)
What of your "other" homes... do you miss the country you went to and came home from? Will I miss New Zealand ? Don't know, I doubt it. I'll miss the house that was once home but I guess that will be part of the transitional/settling phase.
Would you leave the UK again? (I know, some of you have)No, not unless I had been chloroformed into an unconscious state, handcuffed behind my back and had cable ties around my ankles.
This is my favourite place to "hang" - way more fun than Facebook, Hell yeah !
especially since we haven't "announced" it to our family and friends yet - can't wait till we can, and many of your stories will have encouraged us in our belief that life ain't all bad over the pond! Thank you! I agree, Standing ovation for you

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 21st 2013 at 12:37 am. Reason: Got there in the end
Old Jun 21st 2013, 12:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I actually live in California and am moving to NV just month, I used to live in Edson Alberta....so no thanks lol been there done that but thanks for the offer
Nevada? You crazy woman.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I actually live in California and am moving to NV just month, I used to live in Edson Alberta....so no thanks lol been there done that but thanks for the offer
Where in Nevada? I love it in the winter... not so much in the summer
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:26 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Where in Nevada? I love it in the winter... not so much in the summer
To NW Reno young man in in a wonderful location with spectacular views!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

To NW Reno young man in in a wonderful location with spectacular views!
Skiing at Tahoe will be nice and close. My boys used to love going to the museum in Carson city, coming out into the parking lot through a "silver mine" in the basement. they insisted we go there every time we went to Tahoe. Dd was more into the animals on display.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014

Maybe I'll miss Canada horribly when I'm gone, but I doubt it. When I was there for a visit with my husband (it's his home, not mine) I couldn't get over how comfortably I fit - how everything was so incredible and beautiful and friendly and historic...
My hubby is the Canadian half of us ( well quarter of us since our kids are dual nationals) we lived in the UK for three years before coming back to Canada and he LOVED it. Like you, he feels so comfortable there. Something about the culture, countryside, friendly people, and the fact that he is a history and politics buff for him. In fact, he wanted to stay but I wanted to come back here. He did not miss it here either.

When I originally left the UK (about 15 yrs ago and after a bad experience) I was on a mission to 'rediscover myself'. I was young and I definitely did not appreciate Britain back then. I needed to leave at the time and I began to feel much better in Canada. I returned to the UK for a bit after I married my Canadian love, but the timing was still not right for me so we came back. I worked hard on myself over the years and the better I felt about myself, the more my values and priorities began to change and I began to feel a pull to go back. Holidays sufficed for a bit, but once we had kids it was game over. I started feeling terribly homesick. I felt as if I had come full circle in that if I stayed here any longer, I would end up very depressed all over again (less to do with the country per se, more just really missing family and home).

I value things about Britain now much more than I ever did and although I deeply regret that my kids have missed out on lots of family time, I know they would not exist if I hadn't had come out here. And, after all that self-searching I realize that surprise, surprise, I am quite British.

I am not at all happy here now and can hardly wait to leave. The whole family feel the same way. The kids are stoked about our decision to go back.

There are many advantages to living in Canada just as there are also many advantages to living in Britain. For me, I have spent 15 years comparing and contrasting the two countries but at the end of the day, I think it is like comparing apples and oranges (agree, BE is pretty funny for this reason). It really depends on what your values and priorities are and they usually change a lot over the course of a lifetime!

Mine have changed drastically since I first came out and I am,well, much older but hopefully a lot wiser too. Britain is my home. I love it. No other country is like it at all. We have no intention to ever come back here to Canada and I will not miss it as a whole ( I will miss my one true friend though ) but, I have also learnt that you never really know what is around the corner...... For now, I am feeling lucky that plans are coming together and family are wholeheartedly on board with our decision to return home for good.

Last edited by Redgal; Jun 21st 2013 at 5:12 am. Reason: ETA. Sorry for the long ramble - been in a reflective mood today!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You jest, surely?

On the Canada boards there is certainly a "can't wait to leave the UK" among those not left yet, but for those actually in Canada it's very much not perfect in Canada with regular complaints about snow, rain, humidity, shallow friendliness, non recognition of qualifications, bureaucracy, mosquitoes, bad driving, lack of doctors, few job opportunities, expensive prices, high insurance rates, casual racism, low annual leave allowances, terrible TV, lazy expensive tradesmen, expensive dentistry, long commutes, expensive airfares.......

This is all from memory...I haven't needed to look for examples as it's all so common.

Obviously there are exceptions - occasionally highlighted by the "why is everyone so negative?" threads that crop up.
I was giggling and feeling the - obviously both have their negative posts, I was just finding it amusing. Sorry you took me so literally, it was just a generalization. I love Canada (that's where I am and I'm fiercely patriotic), but even I wouldn't suggest someone move here. I honestly think most developed countries are about the same.. there's a give and take, of course. Where one place the "petrol" is more expensive, but the groceries are cheaper and the transit system in more conveniently in place, in the other "gas" is cheaper, but the distances are ridiculous and most people MUST have a car unless they want to live in the downtown core - and food is more expensive and rising! I can never see all of Canada (though I've been coast to coast) - it's just too far a distance to travel, too big a time commitment to see every little sight to see... whereas in the UK you can make weekend trips of most places, and still be home for tea on Sunday evening. Canada is very modern, new, shiny (in lots of places positively reflecting! Like Montreal with all the glass buildings) - but in the UK there is history, rich and loamy and delicious. It might be old rock walls compared to new glossy towers... it comes down to perspective and I realise that. If you want the modern, supersized life, come to Canada - if you want the homey, cultural life, head to the UK.

I wasn't passing judgement, sorry you took it negatively. I was laughing when I posted... it wasn't intended to be offensive.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

It reminds me of The Lion King in the scene where Timon was runs into Scar's cave and Zazu is in a cage.

"LET ME IN LET ME IN!"

"LET ME OUT LET ME OUT!"

Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
I wasn't passing judgement, sorry you took it negatively. I was laughing when I posted... it wasn't intended to be offensive.
No problem...I was just a bit surprised.
I ended up in Canada through fate of meeting/marrying a Canadian. In my case it was easier for me to move than bring the others over to the UK.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Like "mummy in the foothills" I didn't really want to come to Canada in the first place, and I've been planning to go back ever since I got here.

I don't actually regret coming here. It was good for my husband's career, it's enabled him to spend some time with his wider family, and good for both of us financially,but it has been a difficult 7 years for me, 8 by the time we leave.

I'll give a huge sigh of relief when I leave Canada for the last time next year, glad that this phase of my life is over.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Editha
I'll give a huge sigh of relief when I leave Canada for the last time next year, glad that this phase of my life is over.
When are you moving? (early or late in the year) We're moving next year too... maybe we'll share a flight! LOL!

I doubt I'll miss much of Canada, though I am concerned about a couple tiny things, I know our quality of life will be much improved with my Hunny back in his homeland. It's purging everything we have HERE that is hard... Aiyaiyai - how DID I collect so much STUFF?!?!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Like "mummy in the foothills" I didn't really want to come to Canada in the first place, and I've been planning to go back ever since I got here.

I don't actually regret coming here. It was good for my husband's career, it's enabled him to spend some time with his wider family, and good for both of us financially,but it has been a difficult 7 years for me, 8 by the time we leave.

How long till you get to go home?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
How long till you get to go home?
We are in Alberta for another year. We'll be leaving at the end of June 2014. How about you?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are in Alberta for another year. We'll be leaving at the end of June 2014. How about you?
The plan is for Mid October of 2014 - my husband gets a pay bonus that is payable early September, so he doesn't want to give them a heads up before then that he's leaving in case they decide to withhold it - especially as it's based on the PREVIOUS year's work - just to be spiteful. So he's going to wait till it is safely in our bank account, THEN give notice.

It gives us 15 months to purge, freshen up the house, sell the house, plan the pet passport thing, allows my oldest daughter to finish her last year of highschool (she's going to public school for her final year so she gets her OSSD), allows her to finish her final year of Air Cadets, gives us time for my oldest son to get his military training completed and be onto his real work... there's just a lot finishing up then - including our mortgage term - so the double bonus is we won't pay a penalty for breaking our mortgage early.

What areas are you looking at going to? We'd like East Midlands, but obviously we'll have to live where the job is... right?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

ASAP. we are aiming to get back for Dd to start the new school year in UK. We'll see.
Today I've been doing the sort out (again) reducing the amount of things to take back, went back through the keep boxes that are already packed (the boys stuff and memorabilia) Tossed a lot more, reduced three boxes down to two, and made up a bag to donate and some for my friends Dd.
Dh made his third trip to the recycle centre with a car load of metals, all sorted and got a nice bit of cash. that makes three recycle loads and two to the landfill. this week.
Repainted the windows, gutters and trim, mowed an acre of weeds (we had rare rain) and fixed all manor of things we'd put off. and it's Wednesday, he goes back to work on Sunday, so more will happen by then, house up for sale next week, then fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.