BE is too funny!

Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Talking BE is too funny!

We (my Hunny tratcliffe71 and I) have been perusing these boards for a few weeks now (can it be almost a month since we made the decision to move to the UK? Really??) - one thing that makes me laugh is the diversity of views of the UK.

On the Canada board, for example, there is the "it's so horrible in the UK, life is perfect in Canada", then you hope over here and there are whole threads dedicated to heartwarming stories of happy returns to the UK, glorifying the food, the weather (yes the weather!), the shopping, the kindness of the people, etc...

It makes me giggle. Did you (those returning rovers) appreciate all the UK had to offer before you left? Or did absence make the heart grow fonder? What of your "other" homes... do you miss the country you went to and came home from? Would you leave the UK again? (I know, some of you have)

This is my favourite place to "hang" - way more fun than Facebook, especially since we haven't "announced" it to our family and friends yet - can't wait till we can, and many of your stories will have encouraged us in our belief that life ain't all bad over the pond! Thank you!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE is too funny!

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
We (my Hunny tratcliffe71 and I) have been perusing these boards for a few weeks now (can it be almost a month since we made the decision to move to the UK? Really??) - one thing that makes me laugh is the diversity of views of the UK.

On the Canada board, for example, there is the "it's so horrible in the UK, life is perfect in Canada", then you hope over here and there are whole threads dedicated to heartwarming stories of happy returns to the UK, glorifying the food, the weather (yes the weather!), the shopping, the kindness of the people, etc...

It makes me giggle. Did you (those returning rovers) appreciate all the UK had to offer before you left? Or did absence make the heart grow fonder? What of your "other" homes... do you miss the country you went to and came home from? Would you leave the UK again? (I know, some of you have)

This is my favourite place to "hang" - way more fun than Facebook, especially since we haven't "announced" it to our family and friends yet - can't wait till we can, and many of your stories will have encouraged us in our belief that life ain't all bad over the pond! Thank you!
Well I ping-ponged a couple of times when I was young and foolish enough not to know better. But I think it was something the gods destined, since I met the OH here When I was in the UK last, all I could think about was coming back to the US. I am afraid I alienated some of my family through it all, but like I said, I was young - in my 20s - and it was just something I had to do.

I definitely did not appreciate it as much as I do now. As far as announcing to family here, I have just done that today - giving them a 3-year heads up Family back in the UK already know - received with mixed reviews. I am taking that side of it more slowly, whilst we decide exactly where we want to live, without relying on anyone's help.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really want to come here in the first place, so moving back is just fine with me. I was quite happy living in UK.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Did you (those returning rovers) appreciate all the UK had to offer before you left? Or did absence make the heart grow fonder? What of your "other" homes... do you miss the country you went to and came home from? Would you leave the UK again? (I know, some of you have)
I definitely didn't appreciate the UK in the same way the first time.

I didn't understand the value of the history, or how uniquely beautiful the countryside is, or the way the rain makes everything so green, or the way the frequent clouds create constantly-changing patterns of light on the hills.

I didn't understand that people in other countries don't gently take the mickey out of each other as a way of making friends. I didn't realise that a good sense of humour is a rare thing around the world but commonplace in the UK.

I didn't fully appreciate the pleasure and warmth that comes from a friendly pub. I didn't get that the British political system is about as good as these things get. And I certainly didn't understand that old friends and family could never be replaced.

I do not miss America in the slightest. Haven't had even a pang. And every day, I count my blessings. I feel like the luckiest person that ever lived to be living in a beautiful part of this wonderful country.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I didn't understand the value of the history, or how uniquely beautiful the countryside is, or the way the rain makes everything so green, or the way the frequent clouds create constantly-changing patterns of light on the hills.

I didn't understand that people in other countries don't gently take the mickey out of each other as a way of making friends. I didn't realise that a good sense of humour is a rare thing around the world but commonplace in the UK.

I didn't fully appreciate the pleasure and warmth that comes from a friendly pub. I didn't get that the British political system is about as good as these things get. And I certainly didn't understand that old friends and family could never be replaced.

I do not miss America in the slightest. Haven't had even a pang. And every day, I count my blessings. I feel like the luckiest person that ever lived to be living in a beautiful part of this wonderful country.
You have a gift with words. Thanks for sharing
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:56 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I didn't really want to come here in the first place, so moving back is just fine with me. I was quite happy living in UK.
When do you leave!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
When do you leave!
Aiming to be back for the new school year for Dd. Starts September so keep your fingers crossed.
I have to pull weeds at dawn to get the house ready for selling. The realtor said it's all moving fast, but you watch we'll put ours up and that day the market will turn to molasses.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
You have a gift with words. Thanks for sharing
Couldn't agree more!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup!!!!

I left for an adventure - never thought it would be a life sentence but it was turning out that way and taking a terrible toll on my physical and mental health. I think things wouldn't have deteriorated quite so far if I had felt that there was still freedom to move. However since returning I have been able to consider the Old Country with brand new eyes and take my return as a new fabulous adventure. Heavens knows, I might even view a return to Australia as a new adventure when the time comes but for the moment I'm counting my blessings, too, for having found the place which feels like "home"
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Aiming to be back for the new school year for Dd. Starts September so keep your fingers crossed.
I have to pull weeds at dawn to get the house ready for selling. The realtor said it's all moving fast, but you watch we'll put ours up and that day the market will turn to molasses.
I have the reverse in the UK cannot shift my house been on the market for a year
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I have the reverse in the UK cannot shift my house been on the market for a year
Oh dear, not good, can you rent it out?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:18 pm

Oh dear, not good, can you rent it out?
Not worth the hassle and the worry to be honest.
I had the wrong realtor brought in a secondary one and which I had used them in the 1st place.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

When the time comes if you want to move to Canada - I'll swap ya! It'll save us BOTH from looking for a buyer!

Just kidding... maybe.

Maybe I'll miss Canada horribly when I'm gone, but I doubt it. When I was there for a visit with my husband (it's his home, not mine) I couldn't get over how comfortably I fit - how everything was so incredible and beautiful and friendly and historic... and I watched with amazement all the people going about their daily lives seemingly not even noticing. I guess it's like the guy looking up in NY, right? No one notices anything when it's every day.

I pray when I get there that my eyes will be so wide open that even when the daily drudge kicks in, I'll still at least have them half open to the wonders.

I know my Hunny will... he'll be giddy as a boy just for the privilege of getting to live at "home" again!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:48 pm

When the time comes if you want to move to Canada - I'll swap ya! It'll save us BOTH from looking for a buyer!

Just kidding... maybe.

Maybe I'll miss Canada horribly when I'm gone, but I doubt it. When I was there for a visit with my husband (it's his home, not mine) I couldn't get over how comfortably I fit - how everything was so incredible and beautiful and friendly and historic... and I watched with amazement all the people going about their daily lives seemingly not even noticing. I guess it's like the guy looking up in NY, right? No one notices anything when it's every day.

I pray when I get there that my eyes will be so wide open that even when the daily drudge kicks in, I'll still at least have them half open to the wonders.

I know my Hunny will... he'll be giddy as a boy just for the privilege of getting to live at "home" again!

I actually live in California and am moving to NV just month, I used to live in Edson Alberta....so no thanks lol been there done that but thanks for the offer
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On the Canada board, for example, there is the "it's so horrible in the UK, life is perfect in Canada"
You jest, surely?

On the Canada boards there is certainly a "can't wait to leave the UK" among those not left yet, but for those actually in Canada it's very much not perfect in Canada with regular complaints about snow, rain, humidity, shallow friendliness, non recognition of qualifications, bureaucracy, mosquitoes, bad driving, lack of doctors, few job opportunities, expensive prices, high insurance rates, casual racism, low annual leave allowances, terrible TV, lazy expensive tradesmen, expensive dentistry, long commutes, expensive airfares.......

This is all from memory...I haven't needed to look for examples as it's all so common.

Obviously there are exceptions - occasionally highlighted by the "why is everyone so negative?" threads that crop up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.