Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Tips for coping with the British Winter/Dark Nights???

Tips for coping with the British Winter/Dark Nights???

Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tips for coping with the British Winter/Dark Nights???

Originally Posted by Pants
Jugsy
are you in UK then??
yes at the moment
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:53 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips and hints

Still feeling closed in though, put the Christmas tree up last night (a LOT earlier than usual) and still can't get that cozy feeling going

Maybe back to the
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:15 pm

Hi there

Just wanted to say Happy Christmas and that with all your advice and me "pushing" myself that I am so looking forward to Christmas this year, I have embraced winter here in the UK and all the things that go with it (even the a**eholes who are so rude in the supermarket - shoppers not the poor staff).

I have enjoyed long walks in the country, many a country pub and being able to have the Cadbury's Roses out in a dish in the lounge without them melting as they did in Ozzie.

MMum
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Hi there

Just wanted to say Happy Christmas and that with all your advice and me "pushing" myself that I am so looking forward to Christmas this year, I have embraced winter here in the UK and all the things that go with it (even the a**eholes who are so rude in the supermarket - shoppers not the poor staff).

I have enjoyed long walks in the country, many a country pub and being able to have the Cadbury's Roses out in a dish in the lounge without them melting as they did in Ozzie.

MMum
and the good news today MM is that from tomorrow onwards, we're on the up....days getting longer, nights getting shorter . Be summer before you know it
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
and the good news today MM is that from tomorrow onwards, we're on the up....days getting longer, nights getting shorter . Be summer before you know it
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have a good Chrissy matey.

MMum
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips and hints

Still feeling closed in though, put the Christmas tree up last night (a LOT earlier than usual) and still can't get that cozy feeling going

Maybe back to the
Hard one that.......yes it gets dark early yes it's cold......but sometimes you can find something that makes it worth while.....me and the Family went to Cannon Hall in Barnsley on Monday and it was ****** cold I'll tell you...but the sun was dazzling and as it streamed through the bare trees..it took your breath away...simple pleasures.....and when it's dark at night.....great no one can see the extra pounds you've put on through eating hearty stews and jamroly polys(need extra weight to keep you warm )....and not forgetting the red wine which is central heating for your soul....sit down relax...watch repeats of the two Ronnies(it is christmas) and take joy in the fact the shortest day came and went yesterday....
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:20 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Into my 2nd year here after many in Australia and other warmer countries, just finding it really hard as we feel claustrophobic even though we make the effort to get out and about in the fresh air.

I bought some of those special light blubs that give out daylight yet feel as if I am in a submarine

I am enjoying the UK, just finding this tough again.
I WISH I was there!!! Your so lucky to be back home. Im sure you will get used to it
Rob
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:18 am

Had the best UK Christmas EVER!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:34 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

aww thats brilliant MM we had a good one too
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:08 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Oooh do tell !

-Becs
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Becs
Oooh do tell !

-Becs
Just great to be with family, the snow this week has been a bonus, no matter how much we tried in Australia Christmas never felt like it does over here in the UK

Downside to the UK - the obsession with sales, queuing for sales, shopping and materialism, a complete load of c**p
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Just great to be with family, the snow this week has been a bonus, no matter how much we tried in Australia Christmas never felt like it does over here in the UK

Downside to the UK - the obsession with sales, queuing for sales, shopping and materialism, a complete load of c**p
The downsides you mention above I notice here in Houston so not just the UK...sales 24/7 lol they don't know fashion here but they try and are so materialistic...unbelievable...and so a complete load of c**p from here too
Just had an email form my friend in Brockham, close to Dorking and she says lots of sunny days and snow..how wonderful....wish I woz there
Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:06 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I'm glad SOMEONE else likes the snow Try America for materialism though, MM! I visited a friend there and all she went on about was hair and shopping. It was like talking to Britney flipping Spears. When I asked what she thought about the fact that most of her clothes were probably made by child labourers in Bangladesh, she just looked at me blankly Seriously though, all the kids at her highschool were like that. So completely superficial.

-Becs

Last edited by Becs; Dec 29th 2005 at 3:10 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Becs
I'm glad SOMEONE else likes the snow Try America for materialism though, MM! I visited a friend there and all she went on about was hair and shopping. It was like talking to Britney flipping Spears. When I asked what she thought about the fact that most of her clothes were probably made by child labourers in Bangladesh, she just looked at me blankly Seriously though, all the kids at her highschool were like that. So completely superficial.

-Becs
hmmm you sasid it and that's another reason why I am not a happy bunny here, you try being surroudned by that 24/7 ..not very nice...
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:47 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
And from my useless Christmas cracker factbook, I can reveal that the northern hemisphere winter is approximately 7 days shorter than the southern hemisphere winter (meaning of course that the northern hemisphere summer is approximately 7 days longer then the southern hemisphere summer)

But yes, you would probably have to relocate to a more equatorial latitude to really benefit from this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.