Time to move home...

Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to move home...

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
After 6 years in England and 32 years in Arizona we are returning to Scotland next year. All my immediate family live in England but it’s Scotland that I miss. I have no expectations of certain things being the same. I left Scotland as a 21 year old for my first job after University in Dunstable. It would be naive of me to think that things hadn’t changed. I believe that you absolutely can return home. For me returning home means returning to my homeland. I feel so fortunate that I have this choice.
The beautiful lochs and munros haven't changed, the leaping salmon still swim up the river. You'll still get beautiful misty twinkly mornings and a red nose rushing around doing your Christmas shopping. The blossoms still form on the trees linining Princes St each Spring and the Scottish sense of humour hasn't changed, in fact it has, it's just gotten better. It still makes me smile the Glaswegians wanted to name the new Queensferry Crossing 'Kevin' after Kevin Bridges.

Man. Wish I was back.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Still Game - and with tears rolling down my face as I read your response thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes certain things have changed but not the things that matter to me. Thank you for capturing the yearning so eloquently.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Still Game - and with tears rolling down my face as I read your response thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes certain things have changed but not the things that matter to me. Thank you for capturing the yearning so eloquently.
Oh golly, I didn't mean to cause tears! Just a few of my favourite things....

All the very best in moving back. It'll be great!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I guess it depends how you define home - for me it is where my friends and family are, where I enjoy to spend time, where the restaurants I enjoy are located, the shops that sell the things I need and want, and where I can relax and be myself.

It is more than just a piece of real estate for me, so, for me there is no "home" in the UK to return to, because almost all the things I listed above no longer exist as I remember them in the areas where I lived.
Quite understand about friends and family to be sure. To me returning to Northumberland for a walk by the sea, crisp morning air for daily walk, or visiting inland, all have a charm of the past and some things that don't change. Of course not every one may appreciate the finer charms of black pudding.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth;12390024 /QUOTE
Going back to Northumberland (except for Newcastle which has changed for the better) still home, and even more so by the sea.
Newcastle certainly has changed for the better. And it's still full of Geordies too. :thumb up:

Hyem canny hyem.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Quite understand about friends and family to be sure. To me returning to Northumberland for a walk by the sea, crisp morning air for daily walk, or visiting inland, all have a charm of the past and some things that don't change. Of course not every one may appreciate the finer charms of black pudding.
I thought Northumberland had excellent white pudding too.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I thought Northumberland had excellent white pudding too.
... and divn't ferget the stotties.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I had to google that one. Seems a breakfast stottie with sausage, egg, bacon and pudding is the way to go.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Of course not everyone may appreciate the finer charms of black pudding.
That's one of very few things I miss, living in the US.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Easily made though:
4 cups fresh pig's blood,
2 1/2 teaspoons salt,
1 1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal,
2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped,
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped,
1 cup milk,
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper,
1 teaspoon ground allspice,
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle certainly has changed for the better. And it's still full of Geordies too. :thumb up:

Hyem canny hyem.
Yes the change in Newcastle past 20 years has been quite impressive. Coming from a bit north a different story in some towns, but coast is still stunning and unique.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

divn't ferget the stotties, reet champion !

Hard to find these days it seems, and only Welsh Rarebit I come across is at the bookstore in Alnwick.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe just my experience, but one thing I like in Northumberland is every time I have ordered breakfast some place, it has been hot ! Having lived in three states in America , never encountered routinely piping hot breakfast. Thoough I admit to being a fan of Waffle House.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

divn't ferget the stotties, reet champion !

Hard to find these days it seems, and only Welsh Rarebit I come across is at the bookstore in Alnwick.
Greggs and/or Cooplands sell stotties here in N Yorkshire so I would think they would also sell them in Northumberland (There are plenty stores in Northumberland/Newcastle )
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:28 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Greggs and/or Cooplands sell stotties here in N Yorkshire so I would think they would also sell them in Northumberland (There are plenty stores in Northumberland/Newcastle )
The original Greggs shop was on Gosforth High Street, a walk from where I lived between 1962 and 1969. I go away for a few decades and they're all over the f***ing place.

(Gosforth is a northern suburb of Newcastle).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.