Time to move home...

Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to move home...

When I went back to Ambleside couple of years back, to see family, not much had changed. People that I knew had got older, but the countryside was still the same, the pubs were pretty much the same and the atmosphere was as I remember it. I guess it all depends where you are from and what you are going back to.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived home last year after eight years away and only big change is more cars on the road
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Next summer my brother and I plan a visit to that part of Scotland where we grew up in the 1950s. I will be very surprised if we find ANYTHING that resonates with or or propmpts the memories !
Old Oct 29th 2017, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

So by home I mean the UK, certainly won't be moving back to Kent where i'm originally from. When I left I was living in London, but when I return it will be a very different place, since I don't have that many friends there now and I've never lived in my flat, so whilst it will all feel familiar it will still be like a new adventure...i've not really been a 'proper' adult in the UK, so i'm actually really excited about what that will be like.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Going "home" after 13 years ? You will be returning to a different place. This is one of the curses of being an exile. The "home" you knew has changed beyond all recognition.
I disagree. I've been home for 2.5 years now after 38 years as an expat. Of course many things have changed (they have everywhere) but it's definitely home and many changes have been for the better.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My mother always said "you can never go back". I think it was only as I grew older that I fully came to realize how wise her words were. My mother still lives in Gloucester, but I was at uni the last time I in any sense "lived" there and it feels very different when I go to visit. There is no "back" for me to return to.

A couple of year ago I was in Gloucester at Christmas and walking through the pedestrianized city center my ears were telling me that I had slipped down a wormhole and emerged somewhere near the Carpathian mountains!
You can never go back in time but you certainly can go back home.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yep
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

As you grow old, different aspects of a place will appeal to you. Maybe when you were younger you were drawn to more drinking establishments, maybe as you grow older you drawn more to eating establishments, or bowling greens. So what appeals to you at home will be different as you age.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank goodness for that.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Agreed, you return home much wiser and grateful for the experiances of living the life of an expat exile .
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Agreed, you return home much wiser and grateful for the experiances of living the life of an expat exile .
Well put. Except for the word exile. I was never was an exile and integrated successfully in wherever.

I never moved countries without a job to go to though. I lived in different countries four times. But the move home (the fifth country) was after retirement, so an exception.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

After 6 years in England and 32 years in Arizona we are returning to Scotland next year. All my immediate family live in England but it’s Scotland that I miss. I have no expectations of certain things being the same. I left Scotland as a 21 year old for my first job after University in Dunstable. It would be naive of me to think that things hadn’t changed. I believe that you absolutely can return home. For me returning home means returning to my homeland. I feel so fortunate that I have this choice.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My mother always said "you can never go back". I think it was only as I grew older that I fully came to realize how wise her words were. My mother still lives in Gloucester, but I was at uni the last time I in any sense "lived" there and it feels very different when I go to visit. There is no "back" for me to return to.

A couple of year ago I was in Gloucester at Christmas and walking through the pedestrianized city center my ears were telling me that I had slipped down a wormhole and emerged somewhere near the Carpathian mountains!
Guess it depends a lot on what part of the country to a degree. When I visit London now it certainly doesn't feel the same in many sections compared to time I spent there in the 70's. Going back to Northumberland ( except for Newcastle which has changed for the better) still home, and even more so by the sea.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
After 6 years in England and 32 years in Arizona we are returning to Scotland next year. All my immediate family live in England but it’s Scotland that I miss. I have no expectations of certain things being the same. I left Scotland as a 21 year old for my first job after University in Dunstable. It would be naive of me to think that things hadn’t changed. I believe that you absolutely can return home. For me returning home means returning to my homeland. I feel so fortunate that I have this choice.
Originally Posted by morpeth
Guess it depends a lot on what part of the country to a degree. When I visit London now it certainly doesn't feel the same in many sections compared to time I spent there in the 70's. Going back to Northumberland ( except for Newcastle which has changed for the better) still home, and even more so by the sea.
I guess it depends how you define home - for me it is where my friends and family are, where I enjoy to spend time, where the restaurants I enjoy are located, the shops that sell the things I need and want, and where I can relax and be myself.

It is more than just a piece of real estate for me, so, for me there is no "home" in the UK to return to, because almost all the things I listed above no longer exist as I remember them in the areas where I lived.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

My DH has always said to me that when he retires (which he did in May) he doesn’t mind where he lives as long as he has access to 3 things: a car, a computer and a T.V. He’s very happy to return to Scotland but he certainly doesn’t feel the longing that I feel. I am so fortunate that he understands the depths of my feelings about returning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.