Reload this Page >

Moving back - college to university help

Moving back - college to university help

Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back - college to university help

Hi there,
After 9 years we are planning on heading back to the UK.

I have 2 kids, one in second year college and the other first year.

Second year student wants to pursue a law career and will graduate in US and then hopefully take a masters in the UK.

First-year student is looking to be a nurse.

Called several universities in the UK and nobody can really tell us what we need to know. It appears to be dependent on the universities admission policy

Q: What qualifications in the US mean in the UK and would they be enough to get into college in the UK. Learned of https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/ and applied for more info there

Q: Would they be classed as international students? If so for how long?

I'm wondering if anyone knows any "experts" in this area that we could work with to figure out the best way to get back to the UK with minimum disruption to our kids education.

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2017, 4:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back - college to university help

Perhaps you might find assistance in this section of the forum:

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Their qualifications will be enough to get them into university (college in the UK is different, don't forget!). I have no doubt the UK universities will also require transcripts to be evaluated, as mine had to be for UK to USA education.

Best bet is honestly to get in touch directly with the universities they are interested in attending, and talking directly to the admissions teams there, as they will have had international students before and will be able to help you better than we could.

I'm not sure how nursing or law accreditation transfers from US to UK, so maybe you also want to research this, and see if it is possible to transfer accreditation from US to UK for both these fields.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

You also need to be resident in the UK for 3 years to qualify for domestic fees rather than international ones.

My son, who is 18, has had to prove to the unis he's applied to that he's been living in the UK for 3 years, despite having lived here for 16 years and completed his GCSEs and A'levels in the UK.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
You also need to be resident in the UK for 3 years to qualify for domestic fees rather than international ones. .....
The dividing line is far from clear as there is also "deemed residence". If you can argue that your time outside the UK was only "temporary", then you might still qualify for domestic tuition. As I understand it, this would not apply if you have acquired permanent residence or citizenship of another country, and of course might not apply for other reasons.
Originally Posted by Maste
I'm not sure how nursing or law accreditation transfers from US to UK, .....
Not at all - you have to pass the local licencing exams in both cases.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 2nd 2017 at 1:18 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 1:32 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to add my tuppence worth here...

I would definitely think the place to start making enquiries is with the admissions of the universities concerned and probably the international admissions people at that. I had a quick look at your past posts and it seems the whole family has green cards so it is highly unlikely that you can prove 'ordinary residence" in the UK. You might want to google that term and university admissions. Saying that, some people on this forum have reported getting domestic tuition rates so it really does seem to depend on the university concerned.

Another thing - your "kids" aren't kids anymore. They are legal adults and have started their adult lives going to university. Going to study in the UK may well mean that they lose their green cards and tbh, that would be a shame. Unless she really doesn'tlike the US as a future option but I'd still try to keep all the options open.

I hope that you have looked into getting your daughter a 're-entry permit" . This might mean that she can study in the UK but return to the USA afterwards with her GC in hand. It's what I did for my son currently studying in Europe. She would need to prove that the USA is her home though.

Have you got US citizenship? I couldn't see anything about that, but if your son chooses to stay in the US then I always think it's a good idea to have the same citizenships as your children.

Last thing, have you looked at the cost of degrees in the UK lately? About $11,300 pa for domestic students which is more expensive than UT Austin.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I have previously posted in the past that is not always the case with both of our two sons going to university and not living in the UK for 3 years at the time, both being awarded "home Fee's". I believe with college it is still the same which was if your child is living in the UK permanently then they have the right to free education until 18 yrs so from Primary, through to high school and then college after that they will either enter the work force or go on to University or further educational courses and apprenticeships.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
As I have previously posted in the past that is not always the case with both of our two sons going to university and not living in the UK for 3 years at the time, both being awarded "home Fee's". I believe with college it is still the same which was if your child is living in the UK permanently then they have the right to free education until 18 yrs so from Primary, through to high school and then college after that they will either enter the work force or go on to University or further educational courses and apprenticeships.
I know you got lucky - as I referenced in my previous post. However, the law is pretty clear and some universities seem to ignore it but as we have previously discussed, anyone who is a permanent resident in a country outside the EU should be prepared to pay international rates.

I would also argue that the UK may not be the cheap option depending on where you are coming from - especially since the OP is coming from the USA. The USA in-state tuition fees are probably lower and it is much easier to get internships and part time jobs to fund the fees - the university may also offer funding/scholarships.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the good news is that your nursing student is only in his/her first year. As far as I am aware, credits earned in nursing will not transfer to the UK, heck they won't even transfer within the US from program to program (except in NC, where a statewide nursing curriculum is in place). As others have said, have a chat with the university and see what the entry requirements will be.

I used UK Naric to validate my US degrees. As far as I know, they will only evaluate completed course work. You send in a copy of all official transcripts, the plan of study, course description, with credit hours for each course and a copy of the diploma received. The process takes a while; then they send you a bit of paper that says the degree of xx earned at xx is the equivalent of a xx degree earned in the UK.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Dec 3rd 2017 at 11:38 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

All nursing programs are administered through UCAS so the following website may help.There is a tab on this page specific to foreign educated undergrad applicants.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...y-requirements

Also, The NHS course finder may help.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car.../course-finder

Last edited by DebzinUS; Dec 3rd 2017 at 11:34 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your input. Our plan is to get citizenship before we go back so we all have options.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not get lucky we just applied like any other applicants and with all the correct information and our sons were accepted, our oldest was offered a bursary and other monies from the university of his choice, he did not take the student loan that was offered as he paid for his own tuition. Our youngest son was offered student loans etc and also bursaries and grants from the Uni of his choice as he had excellent results from his 6th form studies here in the UK at the time he had been present in the UK for only 2 years when he applied for Uni, he has just been given a grant for his present course and a bursary for choosing the course he is currently on now and also for staying with his University after completing his Degree. Throughout their time at University they had and were offered plenty of part time work around their studies, I do not have actual experience in the American University System but the American side of my family have said in the past that Uni there is also not "cheap" unless you have grants/scholarships etc or come from "fanatically not bad" background so sounds a much of a muchness to me but then I certainly could be wrong.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 1:22 pm
Austin. TX.

I don't know why you keep bringing up your sons' experience. It was long enough ago that a great deal may have changed in the meantime.

From your post a few months ago
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...-896406/page2/

"Our eldest started September 2010 and our youngest September 2013 (he also deferred a year) from being offered a place in 2012 after completing his Advanced Btec and only living in the UK for two years. I do know of other's who have started Uni in the past year or so from overseas (outside of Europe) who have started their University courses classed as "home status"

Being in the UK for 2 years prior to applying is also quite a different scenario to applying from the US as a new US citizen or long term LPR.

You may well "know of" others who have managed to get domestic fees, I don't and I do know people that have applied since my children are that age right now.

From now on,perhaps if you are going to tell us about your kids getting domestic rates please could you tell people when your kids applied to university and in what circumstances. The only thing I am advising people is that they should be prepared to pay international tuition fees because it would be cruel to get the kids to apply to the UK thinking they would get the cheaper rate only to find out that they don't and their parents can't afford to pay $11,500 UPFRONT each year.