Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of returning Home - Advice Needed.

Thinking of returning Home - Advice Needed.

Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of returning Home - Advice Needed.

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
A couple of times, I've emailed about visas, etc, and to be honest the responses have been not very satisfactory. Unfortunately, sometimes calling them up is the only way, but it may just be I like things explained to me rather than once sentence replies.

i have used their email a couple of times which just required a yes/no answer and yes, i've heard it's best to call tbh.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i have used their email a couple of times which just required a yes/no answer and yes, i've heard it's best to call tbh.
Yep, they're pretty helpful over the phone but it's annoying on how much it costs. I just can't see the justification for the cost. If I recall correctly the couple of times I called I spent over $20 each time.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Yep, they're pretty helpful over the phone but it's annoying on how much it costs. I just can't see the justification for the cost. If I recall correctly the couple of times I called I spent over $20 each time.

Good luck.
interesting > http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=22
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

TallyGD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, will look for that free advice.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

We have decided to take our time and make sure we do this the right way. And completed in this order?

1) Get my U.S. Citizenship :- Keeping the doorway open. $650
2) Get my children registered at a british consular. $200 for my birth childen, not been able to find the price it would cost us to get my adopted daughter U.K. citizenship. If anyone know please help and where I can find forms on it.
3) Apply for wifes spousal visa to U.K. A question about this. When she recieves it how long after do we have before she has to enter the U.K.? The main reason we need to know is making sure we save money also for at least 6 months stay in the U.K. Hopefully I will get a job and won't need to worry about expenses. Also does anyone know the cost of this? (spousal visa)

Good news from what my school tell me I will be able to continue studies oversea; just waiting for a finally OK on that.

Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:39 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TallyGD
2) Get my children registered at a british consular. $200 for my birth childen, not been able to find the price it would cost us to get my adopted daughter U.K. citizenship. If anyone know please help and where I can find forms on it.
For your adopted daughter the process is different. You need form MN1 and Guide MN1. You can download both here:
http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis...ritishcitizen/

The form and guide are on the right-hand side near the top. Underneath the link to the forms is another link about eligibility for MN1 applications. If you read that, there is a section specifically about adopted children.

Then, when you get to the next step, applying for British passports, it's the same form and same fee as for your birth children. There is a guidance form/booklet with the actual form that explains what documents you need to provide for birth and adopted children.

The form you want is called C2 plus the C2 notes. Both can be downloaded from here (Poppy Girl already gave you the link but here it is again):
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-to-apply

Scroll down to "Application forms" and then to C2.

As for yor wife's visa: JAJ already gave you the link:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

You said that your school says you can continue your studies overseas. You're missing the point here: What's important is whether the kind of teaching qualification you're getting will be acceptable for teaching in England. As Marmalade already said: you need to contact the General Teaching Council for England and find out: http://www.gtce.org.uk/

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Oct 2nd 2008 at 5:58 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Gina.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TallyGD
.....When she recieves it how long after do we have before she has to enter the U.K.? The main reason we need to know is making sure we save money also for at least 6 months stay in the U.K. ....Thanks.
I 'think' that generally they advise 3 months from the date of the stamp. I think that you can ask them to put the stamp for a future date.. in case you apply a little early but let's say want to make the move in four months.

Also if you have been married for four years and the option of ILE (indefinite leave to enter) is still available at that time, you might want to look into it.

At the moment if you are married for less than two years you use this route..
spousal -> Indefinite Leave to Remain -> Naturalisation, and of course each step is another application and fee.

If you are married for over four years and fulfil the requirements you can go
Indefinite leave to Enter -> Naturalisation.

This is my understanding anyway.

Good luck.