Reload this Page >

thinking of moving back to the UK from Ontario

thinking of moving back to the UK from Ontario

Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

lexxus20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thinking of moving back to the UK from Ontario

Hi I'm new to this thread,
I was born in the uk but lived in Canada for about 15 years moved back to the Uk in 2006 with my daughter and pregnant with my son and with my fiance....made the decision to move back to Canada and have now started regretting it. I think it was a bad case of post partum depression my last one was 6 weeks when we left....anyways since being here it has been so hard to secure a permanent job and we all know in Canada without a permanent job no benefits etc and with 3 children that's really difficult . I am strongly looking to go back home but because of the lack of employment there is little to no savings.

Just looking for some help with information on what help myself and children could get in terms of housing and furniture etc until I can find a job. How is the job market in the uk for Admins (PA's). I'm trying to save to rent a place but probably would only have enough to secure it not sure about the monthly rent if I can't find a job right away.

Also looking to work in London but live in preferably ipswich or colchester.

Sorry for the novel just really looking for some advise/information.

Thank you
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving back to the UK from Ontario

Originally Posted by lexxus20
Hi I'm new to this thread,
I was born in the uk but lived in Canada for about 15 years moved back to the Uk in 2006 with my daughter and pregnant with my son and with my fiance....made the decision to move back to Canada and have now started regretting it. I think it was a bad case of post partum depression my last one was 6 weeks when we left....anyways since being here it has been so hard to secure a permanent job and we all know in Canada without a permanent job no benefits etc and with 3 children that's really difficult . I am strongly looking to go back home but because of the lack of employment there is little to no savings.

Just looking for some help with information on what help myself and children could get in terms of housing and furniture etc until I can find a job. How is the job market in the uk for Admins (PA's). I'm trying to save to rent a place but probably would only have enough to secure it not sure about the monthly rent if I can't find a job right away.

Also looking to work in London but live in preferably ipswich or colchester.

Sorry for the novel just really looking for some advise/information.

Thank you
My advise would be to look for jobs in the UK already, because many companies would do Skype interviews if they find your profile interesting. Not sure about housing, but if you're not fussy when it comes to furniture for the start, charity shops would be an idea.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you...I'll start looking for jobs online before I leave....decided on August 2016 when my daughter graduates gr 8 with her friends.

Not too fussy mainly need beds then the other stuff will follow I guess.
Because I will have been away for 7 years not sure about my credit rating to rent a place. Has anyone secured a rental from overseas without a credit check?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs wise, I'm a PA and think there's plenty around, although not so sure on the corporate PA market. Have a look at this website for PA jobs in London - www.secsinthecity.co.uk

I've got a good friend that works in London and commutes from Colchester each day, she's also a private PA and earns around £60k a year but her commute takes a big chunk of that, so do look in to travelling costs.

Best of luck with it.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Jobs wise, I'm a PA and think there's plenty around, although not so sure on the corporate PA market. Have a look at this website for PA jobs in London - SecsintheCity | PA, EA, Secretary, Admin Jobs in London & UK

I've got a good friend that works in London and commutes from Colchester each day, she's also a private PA and earns around £60k a year but her commute takes a big chunk of that, so do look in to travelling costs.

Best of luck with it.
Thank you for your reply....funnily enough I was on secsinthecuty.Co.uk this morning. I am quite impressed with the jobs and the pay for working on ldn. You are right with the travel costs it can be quite costly....do you know if employers still offer the travel card discount as that would help alot too.
I would love to know about the jobs and housing market (renting)in colchester/ipswich.

Really appreciate the reply thank you 😆😊
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a good few years since I worked in London (I work from home now), but every company I've worked for offered a season ticket loan. Not heard of a travel card discount though?

I'm afraid I know nothing about Colchester or Ipswich but hopefully others will be able to help with that.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lexxus20
Thank you for your reply....funnily enough I was on secsinthecuty.Co.uk this morning. I am quite impressed with the jobs and the pay for working on ldn. You are right with the travel costs it can be quite costly....do you know if employers still offer the travel card discount as that would help alot too.
I would love to know about the jobs and housing market (renting)in colchester/ipswich.

Really appreciate the reply thank you 😆😊
Renting?
Look on Rightmove and you will get a sense of the rental market there.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

You asked a question about credit checking, be prepared for it to be problematic. We were out of the country for many many years, so had zero credit history. For our first rental we paid six months in advance. The second rental was no problem becuase we had built up a credit history....your mileage may, of course, vary.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Knightrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose it all depends on the company you start working for. Some of them will offer benefits like an unlimited Oyster card which can be very useful.

I would definitely try to secure a job before making the move though. Have you found any that you like the looks of yet?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for the replies....sorry been away for so long I mean to say season ticket loan....

I have seen quite a few jobs on secsinthecuty.Co.uk so I'm very hopeful, but saying that there are alot of jobs advertised here in Canada and it's been hell to get a good job over here, I'm hoping that's not the case when I return home .

I look on right move and Zoopla and seen the houses, the only problem is the 6 months in advance that's alot especially moving with 3 kids and very little savings due to lack of decent employment, does anyone know if a guarantor will suffice?

I'm looking forward to going home but scared that I won't find a job there like here and started over for nothing....I'm a planner and a worrier two of my worse traits.