Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Tax Question House Sale USA

Tax Question House Sale USA

Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Question House Sale USA

Hi all, First I simply love the information I find on this site...thanks to all of you for your questions and answers.

I have a tax question relating to the sale of our house. We are moving back to the UK (from the US), next spring for retirement and we have just sold our home. My husband has run his own business from our home claiming the home office deduction. During the last 4 tax years he took the $1500 standard deduction for home office expenses on his taxes. However, previous to this been an option (2012 and prior), he claimed home office expenses over the square foot method, which resulted in an allowance against his taxes and depreciation of the home.

We’ve scanned several tax years records, (but not all), to save weight taking them back to the UK and we destroyed the rest, even though we understand the IRS only require you keep the last 3 years. Now I am wondering how this depreciation, (which he previously claimed), will affect us having sold the house and if we will owe back taxes on the sale price of the house, given that it has appreciated considerably over the last 25 years we owned it. Unfortunately we didn’t scan all 25 tax years since the IRS stated that one doesn’t have to go that far back.

Whilst in the lawyers office last week signing the closing documents on the house sale, our lawyer asked us if we had claimed the home office deduction. We said “yes” and our lawyer said he will have to pass that information on to the buyers attorney to notify the IRS and generate a 1099. We never considered this issue prior to been in the lawyers office, hence not scanning all 25 years.

Has anyone come across this situation and been affected? I welcome any thoughts on this and how it may affect us as well as others in a similar situation.

Thank you for your time reading this.
TM
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question House Sale USA

Depreciation is clawed back by a capital gains tax on the sale proceeds, assuming the house has maintained or gained value.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
I have a tax question relating to the sale of our house. We are moving back to the UK (from the US), next spring for retirement and we have just sold our home. My husband has run his own business from our home claiming the home office deduction. During the last 4 tax years he took the $1500 standard deduction for home office expenses on his taxes. However, previous to this been an option (2012 and prior), he claimed home office expenses over the square foot method, which resulted in an allowance against his taxes and depreciation of the home.

We’ve scanned several tax years records, (but not all), to save weight taking them back to the UK and we destroyed the rest, even though we understand the IRS only require you keep the last 3 years.

Now I am wondering how this depreciation, (which he previously claimed), will affect us having sold the house and if we will owe back taxes on the sale price of the house, given that it has appreciated considerably over the last 25 years we owned it. Unfortunately we didn’t scan all 25 tax years since the IRS stated that one doesn’t have to go that far back.
If you claimed depreciation more than three years ago, you should have kept records back to when you started claiming depreciation, however many years ago that was. As Pulaski says, depreciation is clawed back when capital gains are calculated.

The IRS most definitely doesn't state that there is a limitation on record keeping. Typically, they can only challenge a return going back three years, but there are many circumstances - including depreciation - where records must potentially be kept longer.

Has anyone come across this situation and been affected? I welcome any thoughts on this and how it may affect us as well as others in a similar situation.
You can ask the IRS for transcripts of past tax return information:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
Old Dec 1st 2017, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Depreciation is clawed back by a capital gains tax on the sale proceeds, assuming the house has maintained or gained value.
Thank you for explaining this.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If you claimed depreciation more than three years ago, you should have kept records back to when you started claiming depreciation, however many years ago that was. As Pulaski says, depreciation is clawed back when capital gains are calculated.

The IRS most definitely doesn't state that there is a limitation on record keeping. Typically, they can only challenge a return going back three years, but there are many circumstances - including depreciation - where records must potentially be kept longer.

You can ask the IRS for transcripts of past tax return information:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
Thanks for this link, this is really useful and for explaining how it works. Both yourself and Pulaski have answered my query. Very much appreciated.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this link, this is really useful and for explaining how it works. Both yourself and Pulaski have answered my query. Very much appreciated.
You're welcome.