Reload this Page >

Tax preparer needed after moving back

Tax preparer needed after moving back

Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

rk164 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax preparer needed after moving back

Hi,

I moved back to the UK in mid 2013 from the USA. I'm looking for an accountant to complete my self assessment for 2013/14 which includes SA109.

My current accountant told me that 'remittance basis rules got more complex in 2013' and he is not able to help me.

Any recommendations for firms in or around London who can help?

Thanks in advance

rk164
Old Dec 13th 2014, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax preparer needed after moving back

Is there a specific reason why you want to use the remittance basis rather than the arising basis? It is more complicated, and if you never intend to return to the USA, I would assume that the money will be needed in the UK at some point.

You can read through the rules for claiming remittance basis here: HM Revenue & Customs: Paying tax on the remittance basis - an introduction

In our case, our income from the US is social security (taxed here) and interest (UK gets first whack) but in 3 more years will also include IRA distributions. We use arising basis, and if/when there's sufficient income to generate US tax, will use tax credits from the higher UK tax to offset US obligations. Your situation may be completely different, and you may well be one of those who actually needs professional advice.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 11:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you qualify for the remittance basis?
Old Dec 13th 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Are you sure you qualify for the remittance basis?
Indeed - that is the 1st question to be answered.