Tax here, there or both?

Old Dec 8th 2014, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

ajt71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax here, there or both?

Hi,

My family recently moved back to the UK after living in the USA for over 8 years. Brilliant time over there and, to be honest, great to be back too. After the saga of the move (including shipping our Golden Retriever which was no mean feat) we are beginning to settle back 'home'.

My latest thought is related to tax.

I paid tax on my USA income straight out of my paycheck while I was there but now I'm back and am obviously paying the HMRC direct out of my pay here now.

When it comes to my tax return for the USA (dealing with a tax year from Jan - Dec) how can I declare all this without having to pay tax again in the USA for my UK income earned from July to December 2014? Likewise for paying tax in the UK on the income I earned in the USA from April - July 2014?

Any wisdom on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Andy
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax here, there or both?

Someone with some more expertise can give you a more definitive answer but my understanding is if you're paying UK PAYE income tax it's highly unlikely you'll meet the threshold to pay US federal income tax when you file your US tax return. The UK and USA also have a double taxation agreement. If you declare your UK income and the tax already paid on it in the UK then you should be fine.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 1:26 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax here, there or both?

What is your citizenship and residency status? and what assets do you have in the US and UK.......pensions, IRAs, bank accounts etc.