Reload this Page >

A tale of two countries: Ireland and Aus

A tale of two countries: Ireland and Aus

Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

spreadingwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A tale of two countries: Ireland and Aus

Hi everyone!

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys who are deciding to move back to the UK. I think you'd add some valuable perspective.

The only two countries available to me to emigrate to are Ireland and Australia, both through the visa process and not through any ancestral route. I'll also be taking a dependent parent with me, which I've explored extensively and is an available option in both countries because of the country I'm coming from (South Africa).

So, both Ireland and Australia have their pros and cons, but as someone who hasn't yet visited either, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the best road forward.

I've weighed up a lot of aspects of both countries, including:

- the actual environment (types and size of house and garden, for example, variety of amenities and things to do like food markets, birding, national parks and such)
- transport options and ease of getting around (cars vs public - traffic congestion)
- the people / culture (in general, of course)
- the job market (depends on industry, of course, but in the digital marketing field there are jobs in both - but seemingly more in Aus)
- the economy / cost of living (which would allow me to afford to save more each month)
- medical options and costs (bearing in mind my dependant as well)
- weather restrictions (they're totally different climates - but is Ireland's cloudy/rainy weather more or less restrictive than Aus heat, or vice versa?)
- safety (in general, is it safer for someone in their older years to be living in either or both of the countries?)

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Aus because of the weather (parent is freezing in 10 degrees, and loves getting out and about to take photographs of birds and wildlife, and go exploring) and the fact that we'd have a PR visa from the start (versus renewing a visa annually in Ireland until earning citizenship in 5 years).

However, those benefits in mind, Aus is still not Europe. It's not London, which we both love. Canterbury, Richmond Park, Kew, loads of wildlife and heritage. And planning ahead, I have to think about what I'll do one day when I'm older: prefer living in the comfort of Melbourne, or still miss the unique environment of London and the UK. This would be the only reason for going with Ireland, other than the fact that I could pretty easily secure a working visa with paid relocation.

So is it five years of hellish weather for a payoff at the end = EU passport for us both to move to London, and live somewhere slightly warmer in the South East? Or living for now and going somewhere pretty stable, safe, easy to drive around, and a good way to save money (though Ireland would also allow us to save).

What would you guys do in this position?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A tale of two countries: Ireland and Aus

Originally Posted by spreadingwings
Hi everyone!

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys who are deciding to move back to the UK. I think you'd add some valuable perspective.

The only two countries available to me to emigrate to are Ireland and Australia, both through the visa process and not through any ancestral route. I'll also be taking a dependent parent with me, which I've explored extensively and is an available option in both countries because of the country I'm coming from (South Africa).

So, both Ireland and Australia have their pros and cons, but as someone who hasn't yet visited either, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the best road forward.

I've weighed up a lot of aspects of both countries, including:

- the actual environment (types and size of house and garden, for example, variety of amenities and things to do like food markets, birding, national parks and such)
- transport options and ease of getting around (cars vs public - traffic congestion)
- the people / culture (in general, of course)
- the job market (depends on industry, of course, but in the digital marketing field there are jobs in both - but seemingly more in Aus)
- the economy / cost of living (which would allow me to afford to save more each month)
- medical options and costs (bearing in mind my dependant as well)
- weather restrictions (they're totally different climates - but is Ireland's cloudy/rainy weather more or less restrictive than Aus heat, or vice versa?)
- safety (in general, is it safer for someone in their older years to be living in either or both of the countries?)

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Aus because of the weather (parent is freezing in 10 degrees, and loves getting out and about to take photographs of birds and wildlife, and go exploring) and the fact that we'd have a PR visa from the start (versus renewing a visa annually in Ireland until earning citizenship in 5 years).

However, those benefits in mind, Aus is still not Europe. It's not London, which we both love. Canterbury, Richmond Park, Kew, loads of wildlife and heritage. And planning ahead, I have to think about what I'll do one day when I'm older: prefer living in the comfort of Melbourne, or still miss the unique environment of London and the UK. This would be the only reason for going with Ireland, other than the fact that I could pretty easily secure a working visa with paid relocation.

So is it five years of hellish weather for a payoff at the end = EU passport for us both to move to London, and live somewhere slightly warmer in the South East? Or living for now and going somewhere pretty stable, safe, easy to drive around, and a good way to save money (though Ireland would also allow us to save).

I'd say ask yourself what situation you want to be in 5 years down the road and take whichever option will put you there.

The only reason I'd choose the "better for now" option is if I wasn't sure how long I have left to live. Otherwise I'd prioritise longer-term goals over "better for now".
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd say ask yourself what situation you want to be in 5 years down the road and take whichever option will put you there.

The only reason I'd choose the "better for now" option is if I wasn't sure how long I have left to live. Otherwise I'd prioritise longer-term goals over "better for now".
That's the same nagging feeling I have. If only I had a good idea of how workable Ireland / Dublin is, with their weather. Is it dark, constantly gloomy and wet? Is that just a few days a week in winter, or daily, week after month after month?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:24 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Dublin is very expensive. Very. It's also much smaller than London and not nearly as culturally rich.

Ireland is not dark and constantly gloomy. It is wet. It's similar to weather in other parts of the UK except for two things - more rainfall and higher winds.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Aus because of the weather and the fact that we'd have a PR visa from the start (versus renewing a visa annually in Ireland until earning citizenship in 5 years).

First off, if you've not been to OZ or Ireland, I would make a recce before making a final decision.

On the basis that you qualify for the resident visa for OZ & Ireland, that your heart (for now) is set on the *Europe* idea, then the choice is easy - Ireland it is

If common sense prevails, Ireland's economy is not that healthy, the [climate sucks], weather is temperate/cold, damp & freezing & the Irish are different 'kettle of fish' to the Aussie.

The SA climate mirrors the OZ climate for the most part, the economy is good (better than Ireland), people I think have a better outlook on life [sun makes people smile more]

Decision made ....

Is there anywhere else, somewhere in between, that perhaps you qualify for a visa?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Australia might be easier for you to assimilate into i.e. same hemisphere as S.A.

Bigger, busier cities. More job opportunities. Christmas in the summer. Things that you are used to.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
First off, if you've not been to OZ or Ireland, I would make a recce before making a final decision.

On the basis that you qualify for the resident visa for OZ & Ireland, that your heart (for now) is set on the *Europe* idea, then the choice is easy - Ireland it is

If common sense prevails, Ireland's economy is not that healthy, the [climate sucks], weather is temperate/cold, damp & freezing & the Irish are different 'kettle of fish' to the Aussie.

The SA climate mirrors the OZ climate for the most part, the economy is good (better than Ireland), people I think have a better outlook on life [sun makes people smile more]

Decision made ....

Is there anywhere else, somewhere in between, that perhaps you qualify for a visa?
You have a view I think both locations have something for everyone and regarding economy, I find many people don't have a clue about Ireland. Ireland is doing quiet well and just because an economy is thriving on paper, doesn't mean it's better. Australia is like Ireland during the celtic tiger, where salaries (one of the highest in Europe) were far too high and house prices sky rocketed, so we know what can happen. Dublin is expensive, but any capital is, that's why I didn't pick Dublin. We don't have to argue that Australia/SA gets more sun, but Ireland is not constantly dark and grey for Northern Europeans. Rosslare strand would be one of the sunniest parts of the country and you can get more sunshine than some parts of south England. The West would be a bit wetter, but it can clear quickly and isn't as cold in winter + you get longer days in summer compared to England. Wind is no different to the UK and when a storm hits Ireland, it will be in the UK the next day. If you hate the UK weather, you'll obviously hate Ireland too. You can have a good quality of life in Australia, UK, or Ireland and some locations work out better for others. For me Ireland works, because I have a better work life balance here (compared to the UK) and can afford a bigger house with bigger garden. I hate bigger cities and like the fresh air, beaches and have plenty of activities along the west coast. At the end of the day it's personal choice. I've adapted quite well here and enjoy gardening, chilling on the terrace etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Decision made ....

Common sense has prevailed, after receiving sponsorship approval overnight, with an invite to apply for a visa. It does make more sense, especially when considering my mom.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Australia might be easier for you to assimilate into i.e. same hemisphere as S.A.

Bigger, busier cities. More job opportunities. Christmas in the summer. Things that you are used to.
Think you're absolutely right.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You have a view I think both locations have something for everyone and regarding economy, I find many people don't have a clue about Ireland. Ireland is doing quiet well and just because an economy is thriving on paper, doesn't mean it's better. Australia is like Ireland during the celtic tiger, where salaries (one of the highest in Europe) were far too high and house prices sky rocketed, so we know what can happen. Dublin is expensive, but any capital is, that's why I didn't pick Dublin. We don't have to argue that Australia/SA gets more sun, but Ireland is not constantly dark and grey for Northern Europeans. Rosslare strand would be one of the sunniest parts of the country and you can get more sunshine than some parts of south England. The West would be a bit wetter, but it can clear quickly and isn't as cold in winter + you get longer days in summer compared to England. Wind is no different to the UK and when a storm hits Ireland, it will be in the UK the next day. If you hate the UK weather, you'll obviously hate Ireland too. You can have a good quality of life in Australia, UK, or Ireland and some locations work out better for others. For me Ireland works, because I have a better work life balance here (compared to the UK) and can afford a bigger house with bigger garden. I hate bigger cities and like the fresh air, beaches and have plenty of activities along the west coast. At the end of the day it's personal choice. I've adapted quite well here and enjoy gardening, chilling on the terrace etc.
Sounds amazing. It's this kind of feedback that makes the decision so difficult
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense has prevailed, after receiving sponsorship approval overnight, with an invite to apply for a visa. It does make more sense, especially when considering my mom.

Think you're absolutely right.

Sounds amazing. It's this kind of feedback that makes the decision so difficult
You just have to think what's most important for you and where you can find it (sounds easy). For me it was important what kind of job I can get and what my salary offers me in that location with a small mortgage. You could have a great job in Melbourne, but only be able to afford a tiny apartment without garden, so if you like gardening would you be happy? The same could be said for London and you might have a long commute every day to have the garden, so apart from the weekends you won't be able to enjoy the garden. Other people are happy to live in a small apartment because they love city life and hate gardening. Others might be able to afford it all. I could have stayed in the UK, but would have struggled to afford a place half the size we have now with a much longer commute and less money at the end of the month. I also love Spain and it's great if you have money and don't have to work, so I rather holiday there and enjoy the work life balance here. It works out different for everyone.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You just have to think what's most important for you and where you can find it (sounds easy). For me it was important what kind of job I can get and what my salary offers me in that location with a small mortgage. You could have a great job in Melbourne, but only be able to afford a tiny apartment without garden, so if you like gardening would you be happy? The same could be said for London and you might have a long commute every day to have the garden, so apart from the weekends you won't be able to enjoy the garden. Other people are happy to live in a small apartment because they love city life and hate gardening. Others might be able to afford it all. I could have stayed in the UK, but would have struggled to afford a place half the size we have now with a much longer commute and less money at the end of the month. I also love Spain and it's great if you have money and don't have to work, so I rather holiday there and enjoy the work life balance here. It works out different for everyone.
Makes sense. Property prices in Australia sound horrendous.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Amaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has become very expensive over the last decade, and purchasing power is lower, ie. even if you earn a good salary, most items are relatively more pricey than they would be in UK region. Property prices are silly. The high wage economy and weakening dollar have made a difference. The people who do best in Australia are real beach lovers - beaches are free too.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

In post #7 & #9 mentioned, its not always about the 'cost of living' (COL), the climate, its about lifestyle choices.

Comparing the average cost between two countries is not a true indicator IMO, its the city versus country (county or state)

For COL comparisons

Cost Of Living Comparison Between Australia And Ireland

Last edited by not2old; Jan 22nd 2015 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In post #7 & #9 mentioned, its not always about the 'cost of living' (COL), the climate, its about lifestyle choices.

Comparing the average cost between two countries is not a true indicator IMO, its the city versus country (county or state)

For COL comparisons

Cost Of Living Comparison Between Australia And Ireland
As said it depends on each individual. Weather is a factor, but even in Australia you have extremes & Melbourne has different weather compared to other parts of Australia. Each location offers something else for someone. As a EU citizen Visa requirements are one thing, but young families (first time buyers) in OZ would struggle a lot more these days. I'm used to the weather in the UK, so Ireland wasn't a big difference for me, but might be for someone coming from hotter parts of the world. We're not earning big amounts of money here (average), but can afford a nice home 20 mins away from a city with good employment opportunities and even on a minimum wage we could manage. We have the benefit of open space and great scenery (coast, lakes etc.). Other people in the city will have higher costs (especially Dublin), but it's their decision. I love Spain (Costa Brava) and the climate is a benefit, but there are hardly any jobs for me there and I need to be realistic. 600 hours more sunshine a year won't offer me a better life, if I have long working hours, less money and struggle every day to pay my bills.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 23rd 2015 at 9:22 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:23 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Decision made ....

I'm still trying to figure out what a different 'kettle of fish' means.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I'm still trying to figure out what a different 'kettle of fish' means.
Completely different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.