Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking the plunge - am I thinking of everything?

Taking the plunge - am I thinking of everything?

Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:53 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking the plunge - am I thinking of everything?

Hi!

Long time lurker, very random poster.....
I am in my final countdown to my move and wanted to float out what my plans were moving back to see if anyone could think of anything I had missed! Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I am 37 years of age and will be going back on the QM2 with my two mutts this October. I have not lived in UK as an adult and only have been back and forth since I was 16 for visits to family. I have a temporary flat arranged for the first month that I am in Edinburgh which will hopefully allow me to start the job/housing process.

My main concern is getting myself setup with all the minutiae of getting settled. I will need a NI number, get on the electoral rolls, bank account initially. From my research I feel like I start with getting an NI number, then getting on electoral rolls and then (hopefully:fingers crossed be able to get a bank account. I assume the main challenge is that I will not have anything that proves my address to do those things. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice as to what order to do things or what sort of paperwork I can request that will help me?

Again all advice is appreciated and if you can think of anything that I have missed that would be welcome as well!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking the plunge - am I thinking of everything?

If you lived in the UK upto age 16 you probably already have an NI number.

You can't swap a US drivers license for a British licence, so you will need to look into getting tested and licensed. The road test is tough, and it is far from certain that you will pass the test first time you take it, or the second, so get started early with the process so you have time to take the test several times if necessary, before your US license becomes invalid 12 months after you arrive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 13th 2016 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:43 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I probably should clarify - I lived in England until age 6 then moved about a lot - California, Germany but in between moves I went to school in Wellingborough for 6 months here, 6 months there. Literally all I have for documentation is Birth Certificate, Adoption Certificate and Passport. Would I have been issued a NI number before 16? And if so how would I go about finding that out. My only family is Nan, Aunts, Uncles, etc. Unfortunately I don't have any of that info from parents.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Scrub that (post deleted), NI numbers are not issued until you're almost 16, so you'll need to apply for one.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 13th 2016 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:51 pm
Lelo

Thanks! :-D Truly appreciated!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by lelo29uk
Thanks! :-D Truly appreciated!
Not sure if you saw, I changed my post.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:58 pm
Lelo

Just did..... so from what I have seen I need to apply when in country. :-)
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:02 pm

Are you a US citizen yet? I see you were on a green card as recently as three years ago. By getting US citizenship it will give you the permanent option to return to the US if you want to.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

My main concern is getting myself setup with all the minutiae of getting settled. I will need a NI number, get on the electoral rolls, bank account initially. From my research I feel like I start with getting an NI number, then getting on electoral rolls and then (hopefully:fingers crossed be able to get a bank account. I assume the main challenge is that I will not have anything that proves my address to do those things. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice as to what order to do things or what sort of paperwork I can request that will help me?
With regards to an UK bank account, you can open one overseas before moving back to the UK. HSBC does this kind of service, please see link below -

https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...global-banking

The only disadvantage of having a HSBC account in Scotland is that there are only a few HSBC branches in Scotland.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:38 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that you are very well organised. Pulaski's advice about the driving licence is very sound.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:09 pm
Lelo

Thanks everyone it is nice to get validation of your choices. Makes me feel as if I am on the right track....As for the driving license I am going to need MANY lessons before I am brave enough to try for it :-D
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to also register with your local GP. Your NHS number would have been issued to you at birth but the format has changed so it will no longer be the same number as on your birth certificate. Your local GP practice should be able to find your records from your vital statistics however.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
your vital statistics however.
36 25 36 are the kind of vital statistics that sprang to mind (showing my age)
Old Jul 21st 2016, 1:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Don't forget to also register with your local GP. Your NHS number would have been issued to you at birth but the format has changed so it will no longer be the same number as on your birth certificate. Your local GP practice should be able to find your records from your vital statistics however.
Did someone mention me????
Old Jul 21st 2016, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I have a temporary flat arranged for the first month that I am in Edinburgh which will hopefully allow me to start the job/housing process.
Edinburgh, I'm very jealous - it's a beautiful, vibrant city and I'd go back to live there in a heartbeat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.