Taking pet to the UK

Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

janie jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking pet to the UK

My husband and I live in WV, US, and are planning to return to the UK (I am from Cardiff) summer 2004 and want to bring our cat.

I have searched for info on this so we can budget our move. I know the laws changed in the past few years, but the info I found is unclear and I couldn't find costs.

Anyone had experience of this?
Old Aug 21st 2003, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking pet to the UK

Hi there,

I posted this message a couple of weeks ago on another forum but thought you might be interested anyway.

We moved our cat from UK to Toronto last October and it wasn't a nice experience. PLEASE BE CAREFUL which service you use. We used Air Pets based at Heathrow and weren't impressed by the service. Not only were they expensive to start with, there were all sorts of extras to pay once we landed in Toronto which we had assumed would be covered. Not only that, our poor kitty was put in the tiniest box you ever saw - so small he couldn't turn around. We flew British Airways so he had to go in the hold and not in the cabin as we would have preferred. When we arrived, there was no sign of him and after asking loads of different people where he would be, we eventually found out he had been transported straight to cargo which was miles away. By this time, it was very late and dark and we didn't have a map of the area. Eventually (2 hours later), he was cleared and we were reunited. He was terrribly distressed, all the skin on his nose had been worn away and was bleeding and the box he was in was really battered. There was also no water in the box for him to drink which we thought was disgusting. It looked as if he had been through quite an ordeal and it took a while for him to recover. Since then, I have heard various horror stories about the way pets are treated by airline staff. The baggage handlers often throw the boxes very roughly like they would a suitcase. Try to avoid putting your cats in the hold as it's either absolutely boiling hot down there or unbearably freezing. If we ever go back to the UK, I will insist that our beloved feline travel in the cabin with us. Some airlines allow it - KLM is one I know.

Check out this website for very useful information and tips. It will answer a lot of your questions - I highly recommend it:

www.i-love-cats.com/meow/ramblincat

Be sure to take a look at their message board as well.

Also, the U.K. have recently lifted the quarantine regulations which is brilliant - no going into quarantine for 6 months. You still have to clear your pets which will probably take about 4 hours but nothing compared to what they would have had to go through prior to this.

I wish you all the best and am sure your animals will be fine especially if they go in the cabin with you - just be very careful.

Cheers, Sheryl

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 7:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rooster
Also, the U.K. have recently lifted the quarantine regulations which is brilliant - no going into quarantine for 6 months. You still have to clear your pets which will probably take about 4 hours but nothing compared to what they would have had to go through prior to this.

- but make sure you follow the regulations necessary to avoid quarantine (i.e., they haven't just lifted the requirements - pets still have to go through 6 months quarantine if they don't comply with the Pet Passport regulations).

Check http://freespace.virgin.net/passports.forpets/

- timing is important; the process starts 6 months before you want to ship your pet and certain things must be done within a 24-48 hr period (I think) before travel.

- another problem I've heard of is that some microchips aren't read by the microchip readers at customs (don't know if this is still a problem)

- good luck!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by rooster
Hi there,

I posted this message a couple of weeks ago on another forum but thought you might be interested anyway.

We moved our cat from UK to Toronto last October and it wasn't a nice experience. PLEASE BE CAREFUL which service you use. We used Air Pets based at Heathrow and weren't impressed by the service. Not only were they expensive to start with, there were all sorts of extras to pay once we landed in Toronto which we had assumed would be covered. Not only that, our poor kitty was put in the tiniest box you ever saw - so small he couldn't turn around. We flew British Airways so he had to go in the hold and not in the cabin as we would have preferred. When we arrived, there was no sign of him and after asking loads of different people where he would be, we eventually found out he had been transported straight to cargo which was miles away. By this time, it was very late and dark and we didn't have a map of the area. Eventually (2 hours later), he was cleared and we were reunited. He was terrribly distressed, all the skin on his nose had been worn away and was bleeding and the box he was in was really battered. There was also no water in the box for him to drink which we thought was disgusting. It looked as if he had been through quite an ordeal and it took a while for him to recover. Since then, I have heard various horror stories about the way pets are treated by airline staff. The baggage handlers often throw the boxes very roughly like they would a suitcase. Try to avoid putting your cats in the hold as it's either absolutely boiling hot down there or unbearably freezing. If we ever go back to the UK, I will insist that our beloved feline travel in the cabin with us. Some airlines allow it - KLM is one I know.

Check out this website for very useful information and tips. It will answer a lot of your questions - I highly recommend it:

www.i-love-cats.com/meow/ramblincat

Be sure to take a look at their message board as well.

I wish you all the best and am sure your animals will be fine especially if they go in the cabin with you - just be very careful.

Cheers, Sheryl

Just a few points (this keeps cropping up. can I take my animals in the cabin) ... you can not take your pet into the UK in the cabin. (see below*).. if you take them on an unapproved airline route , or cabin you'll probably find that your pets are going to have to go into 6 months quarantine in the UK.

The UK has approved only certain routes and airlines under the Pets scheme.
And it clearly states that most animals must not travel into the UK in the cabin (there are probably some exceptions .. like guide dogs etc) . KLM is not an approved airline under the scheme

I've copied and pasted the relevant info below. If you go to the below UK government site .. you'll find all the correct info regarding the rules and approved airlines for your animals under the pets scheme:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...res/owners.htm

Hope this helps you could also email the above official government site which deals with this, or ring the helpline there to ask them your questions :

PETS routes

*You may use any of the routes and transport companies on the following lists to bring your pet into the UK under the Scheme. The first list covers travel from qualifying European countries, the second from qualifying Long Haul countries.
Your pet must travel to the UK from a Long Haul country on a direct route. It must not go via any other Long Haul or European country. Ring the PETS Helpline for more information.

You may not bring a pet into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme from a private boat or plane.

Routes may change and new ones may be added. Check with the PETS Helpline for the latest information. Some routes may only operate during certain times of the year. You are advised to check this and all your other proposed travel arrangements with the transport company before booking your trip to the UK as they may have their own additional conditions of travel.
*Please note that most pets travelling to the UK by air have to travel as cargo. Check the costs, requirements and procedures with your transport company well before you travel.

Once you have choosen a route, check contact details of transport companies.

USA
Boston or Washington DC to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/10/03)
Cleveland or Houston to London Gatwick: Continental Airlines (accompanied animals only)
Los Angeles to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways
Miami or New York (JFK) to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/11/03)
Newark to London Gatwick: Continental Airlines (accompanied animals only)
Newark to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/09/03)
San Francisco to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/12/03)
Sanford, Florida to London Gatwick: Britannia Airways

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 26th 2003 at 3:11 am.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:58 am
Just Joined

janie jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri,

I appreciate the info...have you any idea of the cost of all this...we are trying to budget for the move back...it all sounds expensive!

Originally posted by Ceri
Just a few points (this keeps cropping up. can I take my animals in the cabin) ... you can not take your pet into the UK in the cabin. (see below*).. if you take them on an unapproved airline route , or cabin you'll probably find that your pets are going to have to go into 6 months quarantine in the UK.

The UK has approved only certain routes and airlines under the Pets scheme.
And it clearly states that most animals must not travel into the UK in the cabin (there are probably some exceptions .. like guide dogs etc) . KLM is not an approved airline under the scheme

I've copied and pasted the relevant info below. If you go to the below UK government site .. you'll find all the correct info regarding the rules and approved airlines for your animals under the pets scheme:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...res/owners.htm

Hope this helps you could also email the above official government site which deals with this, or ring the helpline there to ask them your questions :

PETS routes

*You may use any of the routes and transport companies on the following lists to bring your pet into the UK under the Scheme. The first list covers travel from qualifying European countries, the second from qualifying Long Haul countries.
Your pet must travel to the UK from a Long Haul country on a direct route. It must not go via any other Long Haul or European country. Ring the PETS Helpline for more information.

You may not bring a pet into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme from a private boat or plane.

Routes may change and new ones may be added. Check with the PETS Helpline for the latest information. Some routes may only operate during certain times of the year. You are advised to check this and all your other proposed travel arrangements with the transport company before booking your trip to the UK as they may have their own additional conditions of travel.
*Please note that most pets travelling to the UK by air have to travel as cargo. Check the costs, requirements and procedures with your transport company well before you travel.

Once you have choosen a route, check contact details of transport companies.

USA
Boston or Washington DC to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/10/03)
Cleveland or Houston to London Gatwick: Continental Airlines (accompanied animals only)
Los Angeles to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways
Miami or New York (JFK) to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/11/03)
Newark to London Gatwick: Continental Airlines (accompanied animals only)
Newark to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/09/03)
San Francisco to London Heathrow: Virgin Atlantic Airways (from 01/12/03)
Sanford, Florida to London Gatwick: Britannia Airways
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We moved our dogs here last year and are moving them back to the UK again with us. We bought our crates from Airpets and they are huge, I think the dogs have more room on the plane than we do. We were lucky that we went to a small airport i.e Halifax, coz I could hear our dogs when we got off the plane!!

Anyway, so far in our quest to take them home, this is what we have done;

- Dogs already microchipped in UK. 25GBP each.

- March 2003. Dogs given rabies vaccine.

- April 2003. Blood Test taken and sent to lab in Kansas.

FAVN Rabies Laboratory
1800 Denison Avenue
Mosier Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan
Kansas 66506-5600
The FAVN test must be used (not the RFFIT)

Total charge for Rabies vaccination, testing etc $450 for two dogs.

- About a month later we found out the we had a successful blood test result so our vet could issue us with a PETS certificate which we have had to have countersigned by someone from the CFIA (Canada Food Inspection Agency) $10 per dog.

Dogs are ready to travel from October 24th 2003, which is six months from the day the successful blood sample was taken.

-Will have to get dogs treated for ticks and tapeworm and get another certificate for this 24 to 48 hours before we leave.

-Dogs are booked to fly on Air Canada, Excess Baggage charge $15 per kilo. Also have to pay fee to Janes Cargo of $131 plus we have to pay 50GBP extra per dog as we are landing in England on a weekend. We also have to pay overtime to the Person (CFIA) who is sealing our crates at this end as our flight leaves at 9.30pm at the rate of $46 per hour.

- We will be able to pick the dog up from Heathrow Animal Centre and it will take about four hours to clear them.

All costs are quoted in Canadian dollars except where it says GBP.

Total Cost for each dog excluding crate cost (About 80GBP each) is around $1250-$1300. Not cheap but wouldn't go without my dogs for the world.
Attached Thumbnails Taking pet to the UK-new-004.jpg  
Old Aug 27th 2003, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Ceri, for all your useful information. Think I have been misled about taking pets in the cabin - shall have to let that web site know. I'm absolutely gutted that I can't take my kitty in the cabin with me, but what's the alternative...?

Daisymoll, your doggies are soooo cute. Sounds like you had a better experience with Airpets than us. Hope they have a good journey back. What a pair of globe trotters they will be!!
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

missionuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been advised that there are no Vets on duty over the Weekend at Heathrow therefore I should travel Monday to Friday. Virgin Atlantic told me this. If anyone can verify this, I would appreciate it.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again

I was thinking of checking in my cat and dog myself on the day of departure. Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't do this?

Also, my vet administered the blood test to my cat and dog and almost immediately about five minutes after the rabies vacc. Do you think this is going to be a problem? I see everyone else waited about a month. The pdf from Defra that I took to my vet didn't mention a time scale.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally posted by missionuk
I have been advised that there are no Vets on duty over the Weekend at Heathrow therefore I should travel Monday to Friday. Virgin Atlantic told me this. If anyone can verify this, I would appreciate it.
We are checking in the dogs ourselves, there really is no reason to use anyone else as you still have to check them in yourself even if you do use someone.

We were told there would be an additional charge at the weekend but that we could still go and do it. I can't imagine that Heathrow only runs 9-5 weekdays.

Re time delay, I would look into that if I was you as I think we had to wait a month for a specific reason.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:35 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful dogs, can I have them?
Btw I've heard that if the microchip isn't readable with a UK reader at Heathrow, it's a good idea to buy your own reader to avoid problems.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Got to vent my annoyance. After reading this thread, I wrote to Air Canada to check that it was okay to fly into Heathrow with the dogs on the weekend and someone has written back and said no we can't. My question is is why on earth didn't they tell us this when we booked the ticket.

Before we ever used Air Canada my husband thought that they were great for some reason but this is just sheer incompetence. Imagine if I hadn't checked. Anyway, still got to do further digging to triple check or we will have to change the flight date. Luckily we decided to book a fully flexible ticket....
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Default Air Canada

Hi
I'm the lady who told you about no vets on duty at Heathrow over the weekend.

I urge you to look at this web site regarding Air Canadaand their treatment of pets:

http://www.aircanadaanimalabuse.com/letters.htm
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:22 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by missionuk
Hi again

I was thinking of checking in my cat and dog myself on the day of departure. Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't do this?

Also, my vet administered the blood test to my cat and dog and almost immediately about five minutes after the rabies vacc. Do you think this is going to be a problem? I see everyone else waited about a month. The pdf from Defra that I took to my vet didn't mention a time scale.
Hello

Our vet in UK advised us that there had to be a 30 day wait petiod between rabies vaccination and blod test but this was her first rabies shot so I don't know if this makes any difference.

Honey travelled as excess baggage in the hold on the same United flight as us and was waiting in the special baggage section before out luggage was ready! We had to check in quite early and United and Heathrow staff were very, very efficient. We travelled on a Thursday. She was the last to board and the first to get off.

It was quite traumatic for us as we had to leave her with Heathrow staff whilst we went to the departure lounge. I was also convinced she would not make the flight alive!! Of course she did and you would never have thought she had flown for 8 hours. She used to hate cars but she loves them now!

DEFRA have a great website with infor on the Pet Passport for US/Canada. The also give a help line phone number for general enquiries 011 44 - 870 241 1710. They have an e mail address too. In addition I called my regional DEFRA office (Leicester I think) on 011 44 - 116 278 7451 and spoke to the Small Animal Import/Export Dept who were very knowlegable and helpful.

Mrs London, yes I think you are right about the micro chip reader if it doesn't conform to UK standards.

Hope this helps.

Maggie
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Air Canada

Hi missionuk,

I've just been looking through the Air Canada animal abuse web site you gave and I'm absolutely horrified to hear about the way they treat pets. In fact, I'm in floods of tears as I'm writing this. We have to fly our cat back to the UK with Air Canada next year and I'm dreading it. I know there is no alternative and he cannot travel in the cabin with us either. I'm gutted

I'm starting to think that maybe we'll have to give our beloved feline away instead of putting him through all this - it would be kinder...

I wonder if that couple in LA ever found their cat Fu? Such a heartbreaking story...

Sheryl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.