#TakeUsWithYouScotland

Old May 24th 2015, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #TakeUsWithYouScotland

Originally Posted by AllenSmith81
Not really sure where you get this from.. even if the whole of Scotland had voted labour they still would not have enough seats to form a government. Labour are not the government of the day because they failed to win enough seats in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
As I said, Sturgeon did her part by her claims about what she intended to do to England and her hopes of the SNP forming a coalition with Labour to be in government. All the Conseratives had to do was sit back and watch her knowing the other countries would not tolerate the SNP in a UK government: as the votes reflected.

So no, even if the Scots had voted all Labour seats they still would not have got in, but Sturgeon was unwittingly doing the damage. Sturgeon was an asset to the Conservatives.
Old May 24th 2015, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest a more relvent discussion is do you feel its appropriate for an elected representative to say "Thats mine and your not getting to play with it" does this remind you of any antics you may have experienced at school?

so my comment would be.. seriously.. its a seat.. and is this really news worthy??
Yes, if follows on from Sturgeon's various claims during the election that she was going to shake up Westminster. She has, but not in the way she hoped for.

There is a protocol in Parliament and the SNP MPs either seem to think this doesn't apply to them or they haven't done their research. This is not the only story on their poor behaviour in the house and the SNP MPs have now been told to behave like adults.

They really aren't doing Scotland any favours either because the SNP is a very minor party in Parliament just as the LibDems were. She needs to form an alliance with one of the two big parties if she wants a little bit of power in parliament. Instead they have arrived in Westminster and sat on the opposition benches (I accept this wasn't what Sturgeon had hoped for) in the seats that are for the second largest party; the main opposition; when they should be seated in the opposition seats for the minor parties. An ego thing for Sturgeon, or perhaps a tantrum? She must realise by now that her election claims only played to the Conservatives advantage.

Last edited by formula; May 24th 2015 at 11:24 am.
Old May 24th 2015, 2:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think the SNP would be telling anyone to vote a specific way. I think they would campaign for and build a positive case to remain in the EU. A position they would likely win allot of support for. Scotland is generally Pro-EU and being dragged out of the EU against our will is a likely catalyst for IndyRef2
how do you figure the SNP would muster the support & from where, given Labour are now likely to support the Cons, with the Lib Dems in tow?

Labour to back EU referendum bill, says Harman - BBC News

I'm looking forward to an early YES outcome to an all UK vote to the EU referendum

Scotland can sit on the sidelines, for it would appear the power lies within the hands of the rest of the country even if all the Scottish votes say nay!

As for a IndyRef2, the chances are looking slimmer by the day IMO

Last edited by not2old; May 24th 2015 at 3:01 pm.
Old May 24th 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
how do you figure the SNP would muster the support & from where, given Labour are now likely to support the Cons, with the Lib Dems in tow?

I'm looking forward to an early YES outcome to an all UK vote to the EU referendum
YES stay in or YES leave?
Old May 25th 2015, 2:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
YES stay in or YES leave?
a 'YES' for ASAP to an early EU referendum vote, why wait till 2017. If it was doable, before the Scottish elections on 5th May 2016.

My vote would be for the UK to leave EU

Holly, how would you vote on an EU referendum?
Old May 25th 2015, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

As in so many other things the SNP are sending very mixed messages as they seem to think that saying what they want to happen means it will even when evidence is totally against them. They are pro being in Europe but they're also pro Scottish independence from the UK which would mean automatic expulsion and having to reapply to the EU.

The SNP said Scotland would automatically be in the EU or would have an automatic and immediate readmittance. Most other people in power and many international, legal authorities said that wouldn't be the case.

As a direct result of SNP policies my home has been greatly devalued and both MrH's job and mine are under threat. We ar slowly losing everything we have spent our whole working lives working for. We were praying for the Westminster vote not to be such a landslide of minority votes allowing majority representation but we were sadly diappointed.

I wish they'd hurry up and remove the Scottish MPs rights to debate or vote on any matter that aplies to rest of the UK only. I don't understand why they are allowed to interact in anything that's a devolved Scottish matter.

Last edited by Hazelnut; May 25th 2015 at 5:12 pm.
Old May 25th 2015, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
As in so many other things the SNP are sending very mixed messages as they seem to think that saying what they want to happen means it will even when evidence is totally against them. They are pro being in Europe but they're also pro Scottish independence from the UK which would mean automatic expulsion and having to reapply to the EU.
The SNP said Scotland would automatically be in the EU or would have an automatic and immediate readmittance. Most other people in power and many international, legal authorities said that wouldn't be the case.
We can't know that either way. It is a purely political decision so the law will be twisted and perverted as necessary to suit whichever way the political wind is blowing at the time. And the future is very hard to foresee given the likely demise of the Eurozone.

Any feelings I might have on IN or OUT would be based on things as they are - but we are not prescient and stability and predictability are not in our future.
Old May 25th 2015, 11:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

like all two faced politicians & political parties, the left doesn't know what the right is doing - even the media is confused & twisted

SNP's incoherent position on staying in Europe | Herald Scotland
Old May 26th 2015, 5:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

is Sturgeon losing it already - how can she make a promise like this one?

Nicola Sturgeon has said the Scottish Government will make a "strong and positive" case for the UK to remain in the EU to prevent Scotland being forced out against its will.

Sturgeon: Scotland will fight to stay in the EU | Herald Scotland

As a person living in England I would be upset that the 'Barnett formula' still exists, its just not right. Westminster should remove it & make the money per head equal across all of the UK.

What is the Barnett formula? - Telegraph

Last edited by not2old; May 26th 2015 at 5:59 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

AllenSmith81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by formula
As I said, Sturgeon did her part by her claims about what she intended to do to England and her hopes of the SNP forming a coalition with Labour to be in government. All the Conseratives had to do was sit back and watch her knowing the other countries would not tolerate the SNP in a UK government: as the votes reflected.

So no, even if the Scots had voted all Labour seats they still would not have got in, but Sturgeon was unwittingly doing the damage. Sturgeon was an asset to the Conservatives.
If thats true then this is just another reason why Scotland needs to go its own way. SNP would have been a good strong voice in support of progressive change in Westminster which would have benefited the entire UK. If the rest of the people of the UK are that afraid of us Scots having our say in a democratic structure within the UK then I think that says it all.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Scotland can sit on the sidelines, for it would appear the power lies within the hands of the rest of the country even if all the Scottish votes say nay!

As for a IndyRef2, the chances are looking slimmer by the day IMO

In view of the fact the proposed question would mean "Yes" would be to stay in the EU. I am also hoping for a "Yes" vote, although I think that was not what you meant.

As for IndyRef2 - time will tell.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

As a direct result of SNP policies my home has been greatly devalued and both MrH's job and mine are under threat. We ar slowly losing everything we have spent our whole working lives working for. We were praying for the Westminster vote not to be such a landslide of minority votes allowing majority representation but we were sadly diappointed.

I wish they'd hurry up and remove the Scottish MPs rights to debate or vote on any matter that aplies to rest of the UK only. I don't understand why they are allowed to interact in anything that's a devolved Scottish matter.
Its funny how much propaganda gets punted about. There has been as many independent experts who say that Scotland could leave the UK without leaving the EU as there have been who say it would need to reapply for EU membership. What does that tell me? If there were a political will in the EU to keep Scotland in the EU then it would be made to happen.

The irony is there are very few, if any, decisions made in Westminster that do not impact Scotland in some way or another. For example the continued privatising of the NHS in England is an English matter by definition because NHS in Scotland is devolved.However if privatising the NHS in England results in reducing public spending on the NHS in England then that consequentially reduces the block grant allocated to the devolved administrations of GB and Northern Ireland. Rhetoric such as this "English votes for English laws" only serve to further undermine the structure of the UK and will ultimately lead to the end of the UK.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:54 am
Just Joined

like all two faced politicians & political parties, the left doesn't know what the right is doing - even the media is confused & twisted

SNP's incoherent position on staying in Europe | Herald Scotland
The media are always confused and twisted - Do not trust any of the UK media anymore.. I wish you could see just how distorted our media actually is.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:17 am
Dichotomus tinker

The media are always confused and twisted - Do not trust any of the UK media anymore.. I wish you could see just how distorted our media actually is.
of course & folks should always use their own judgement or at least use any media information as such - simply information, simply because its all 'a pack of lies' what the politicians or the media spout is a conspiracy!

The 'inequality of across the UK public spending' or the living wage issue'

Scots benefited last year by almost �1600 a head more public spending than in England, Commons research shows | Herald Scotland

Only seven MSPs are registered living wage employers, it emerges, as Sturgeon urges firms to back the scheme | Herald Scotland
Old May 27th 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wish they'd hurry up and remove the Scottish MPs rights to debate or vote on any matter that aplies to rest of the UK only.
The removal of Scottish MPs powers to vote on English and Welsh only matters, is coming soon when Scotland are getting the powers they want to run their own country.

The SNP will have to do decide if they want to finance the building of a highspeed train service to London from their budget. English, Northern Irish and Welsh taxpayers won't be forced to finance that. There doesn't seem to be a business need for it and SNP MPs will have to keep flying down to London.
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Last edited by formula; May 27th 2015 at 3:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.