Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Switching Canadian driving licence back to UK

Switching Canadian driving licence back to UK

Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light
Default Switching Canadian driving licence back to UK

Hi expats!

I've been back in the UK for almost 12 months, which means it's time for me to switch my Canadian driving licence back to a UK one.

I've been reading up on the gov.uk info (https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence) but unfortunately there's no info for UK citizens who passed their test in the UK, then switched their licence in a foreign country, and then need to switch back. It doesn't even list the UK as an option in the section for which country you passed your test in.

As I passed my test here I should just be able to exchange it back for a full licence (Canadian drivers who took their test in Canada can typically only get a licence that covers them for automatic vehicles).

Has anyone been through this process or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks a mil!

Hope
Old Aug 21st 2015, 10:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching Canadian driving licence back to UK

Originally Posted by hopeintoronto
Hi expats!

I've been back in the UK for almost 12 months, which means it's time for me to switch my Canadian driving licence back to a UK one.

I've been reading up on the gov.uk info (https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence) but unfortunately there's no info for UK citizens who passed their test in the UK, then switched their licence in a foreign country, and then need to switch back. It doesn't even list the UK as an option in the section for which country you passed your test in.

As I passed my test here I should just be able to exchange it back for a full licence (Canadian drivers who took their test in Canada can typically only get a licence that covers them for automatic vehicles).

Has anyone been through this process or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks a mil!

Hope
Do you still have your British driving licence, or a record of your drivers number? If so, simply fill in the form with the DVLA to update your address and get a new photocard. That is, update from your last UK adress to your current UK address. I don't think the DVLA want to know about your Canadian licence!

I did this a few months ago. I sent them the change of address form, a passport photo, and some other form of ID or address verification (sorry cannot remember the ID requirements.)
Old Aug 21st 2015, 2:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done it. There is in fact a question on the form that enables you to give details of your previous UK licence and the DVSA are uncannily good at tracing them. You'll get your old licence back with no restrictions.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 2:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Do you still have your British driving licence, or a record of your drivers number? If so, simply fill in the form with the DVLA to update your address and get a new photocard. That is, update from your last UK adress to your current UK address. I don't think the DVLA want to know about your Canadian licence!

I did this a few months ago. I sent them the change of address form, a passport photo, and some other form of ID or address verification (sorry cannot remember the ID requirements.)
Yes they will. In Canada, you exchange your Brit licence for the Canada one. The DVLA know this.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 2:27 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

The form is form D1. You can order it on the DVLA site. The site says that you have to prove that you passed a manual test. In practice that just means telling them you had a UK licence before and the question is on the form for you to answer.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Ohhhh perfect - thanks so much everyone! I still have a copy of my paper counterpart so I can definitely track down the original licence number. Really appreciate the advice!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 1:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Complete Form D1 with your previous GB driving licence number and include your paper counterpart and Canadian licence. The DVLA will retain your counterpart and Canadian licence but issue you with a new GB driving licence photocard based on your previous UK test pass results. You can check your licence details here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence