Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

SuffolK and surrounds questions.

SuffolK and surrounds questions.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default SuffolK and surrounds questions.

Have noticed on TV and internet some pretty amazing properties (large older houses on acerages) at around the 400,000 Pound mark. I thought we would have had to pay far more for a country house within reasonable distance to London. (It is reasonable when you are used to a 24 hour plane trip). Whats the story, is it a terrible area? hardly looks like it to me. Dire shortages of work perhaps? axe murderers attacking you as you pick up the milk? we are going over in November and wondered if it was worth a trip up there. Any info on it appreciated.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty,

have just sent you a pm all about Suffolk.

Hope this is of help.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

SuffolkGal is an unknown quantity at this point

If you love rural flat farmland, you'll love Suffolk.
I'm a Bury St Edmunds native (qaint old historic market town with monastery ruins, terrible for shopping but an easy commute to London).I only wish I could afford to buy a house in Suffolk.
If you have that kind of money, I don't think you'd regret buying in this area. It's quite popular with minor celebrities because of it's tranquility compared to the large industrial cities, yet closeness to London.
Good Luck
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SuffolK and surrounds questions.

Originally posted by dotty
Have noticed on TV and internet some pretty amazing properties (large older houses on acerages) at around the 400,000 Pound mark. I thought we would have had to pay far more for a country house within reasonable distance to London. (It is reasonable when you are used to a 24 hour plane trip). Whats the story, is it a terrible area? hardly looks like it to me. Dire shortages of work perhaps? axe murderers attacking you as you pick up the milk? we are going over in November and wondered if it was worth a trip up there. Any info on it appreciated.

My uncle and aunt lived in Suffolk (near Diss, which I know is in Norfolk) and I thought it was beautiful. It is dead flat, so if you want hills, forget it. In return, it has a wonderful sense of open space, beautiful primroses in the ditches in the Spring, far less tourism and many fewer gentrified cottages (used to be so, anyway) and you can (could?) go the the beach and buy fresh fish from the fisherman. And then there are those wonderful pink houses.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I used to live in Mildenhall, Suffolk- 7years ago. Nowich is great to go shopping as well as Cambridge.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
I used to live in Mildenhall, Suffolk- 7years ago. Nowich is great to go shopping as well as Cambridge.

Goodness you get up early! You're right, Norwich is lovely, and Cambridge speaks for itself, althought he parking's a bit hairy.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:52 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Have you considered Kent Dotty?

The countryside around Tunbridge wells is beautiful, and for 500k you could buy a really nice home, with a chunky plot of land.

The towns nice (bit snobby, but thats only because it IS a nice town and i think its desired to be kept that way), and its an easy commute to London if you want to work up that way (about 40 mins on a fast).

The villages around the place are what i like....see if you can find any properties on the web in places like Groombridge, Eridge, Ashurst and Hartfield.

The Darent valley is nice too, villages like Eynesford and Shoreham, but they are more pricey, and although you would get a nice house for 4-500k, you would'nt get a large plot of land.

Ask if you want any more bumph on west kent

Pete.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Yes, i need to get up early and surf. EArly AM, in the afternoon when my kids are napping or after they go to bed are the only times that I get to jump on line and have peace at the same time!

Cambridge is a pain for parking sometime but I love it there. It's either there or around London - Kent, Surrey that I will move back to.

Hello Pete - I used to go to Orpington College F. E. in the Walnuts and my Aunt lives there also. Are you moving away from Orpington?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 3:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I thought we would have had to pay far more for a country house within reasonable distance to London. .....
It might not be such a reasonable commute as you think.

My last boss when I worked in London lived in Suffolk, just, right on the Essex border, and it took her more than two hours to commute into London, and we worked right on the east edge of the City (to the West End would take another twenty minutes). I was always skeptical that it could take so long, but she swore that was as long as it would take anyone.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:41 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dotty,
Not a bad place but research thorouly before you comit. My sister in law lives there, she works with problem families and drug addicts and there are some no go areas like anywhere else.

Good Luck with the move.

Kind Regards
ACE