Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sucessful return back to UK?

Sucessful return back to UK?

Old Jan 30th 2018, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

cjsansomfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Sucessful return back to UK?

I am 55 and wife is 53. We are thinking of moving back to the UK after being in Canada since 1990. We have been going back to the UK every year for a visit. We will not be working in the UK but be retired. We would like to hear from people who have successfully moved back. We are thinking of moving back to the Midlands where we have a lot of family members.
Would love to hear from people who have successfully done it or regret doing it. Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sucessful return back to UK?

Hi and welcome to the forum. We returned from Australia in 2016 after 8 years there and haven't regretted a minute of it. We used to live in the midlands - Leicester, but are now living in central Scotland which we love.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back nearly four years ago with the complicated procedures for visas for my non EU husband. We love it and have no regrets whatsoever. My husband lived and worked here years ago so it is not strange for him. I am sure you will not regret the move though, of course, you may miss some aspects of your life in Canada. That is to be expected. All the best!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back last year to Nottinghamshire after 13 yrs in New Zealand. Happy to be back near family, friends and all thing familiar ...
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjsansomfan
I am 55 and wife is 53. We are thinking of moving back to the UK after being in Canada since 1990. We have been going back to the UK every year for a visit. We will not be working in the UK but be retired. We would like to hear from people who have successfully moved back. We are thinking of moving back to the Midlands where we have a lot of family members.
Would love to hear from people who have successfully done it or regret doing it. Thanks
A number of points for the OP to consider -

1) Get an UK state pension statement to see how much UK state pension you are entitle to. You can increase your UK state pension entitlement by paying voluntary NI contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

2) If you don't have a bank account in the UK, you can try and open an UK bank account in Canada before your return. HSBC offers this service.

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/new...banking-centre

3) The OP should apply for Canadian citizenship if not already done so.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My husband (Brit) and I (Australian) moved back a couple of years ago, also retired. My husband had lived in Australia since 1990 and like you, had visited home often including 7 times in the 5 years prior to returning.

As planned, we moved over at the end of 2015, he 66 and me 57. He couldn't wait to get here, but although I've settled well he hasn't. To cut a long story short, I'm abandoning my spouse visa and we're returning to Australia this year.

You could probably ask 100 people about their experience of returning to the UK and get 100 different answers. All you can do is what feels right at the time, and if possible keep your options open for a return to Canada if it doesn't work out as planned. Best of luck!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

cjsansomfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband (Brit) and I (Australian) moved back a couple of years ago, also retired. My husband had lived in Australia since 1990 and like you, had visited home often including 7 times in the 5 years prior to returning.

As planned, we moved over at the end of 2015, he 66 and me 57. He couldn't wait to get here, but although I've settled well he hasn't. To cut a long story short, I'm abandoning my spouse visa and we're returning to Australia this year.

You could probably ask 100 people about their experience of returning to the UK and get 100 different answers. All you can do is what feels right at the time, and if possible keep your options open for a return to Canada if it doesn't work out as planned. Best of luck!
Can I ask why was it difficult for your husband to settle down? I am excited about moving back but that does worry me.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back from the USA in 2016, retired, aged 60 and 61 to the place we left in 1985. We still have friends here plus my sister and her husband and son now also live here.

We absolutely love it, it has been a great experience.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I came back 2010 and retired in 2011

I have survived so far

Mixed feelings but the NHS has prolonged my life.,
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:22 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. You should look into whether OAS will be paid abroad after you turn 65, believe you have to have 20 years in Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...receiving.html
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:36 am
Just Joined

ChrisHT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robbie2010, see your situation very similar to our own, have decided to head back after 14 years....as not come across many recent posts, are you able to offer any advice on things/issues you encountered or maybe hadn’t thought about regarding the process of moving back or might have done differently had you known....?All the best CHT
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisHT
Hi Robbie2010, see your situation very similar to our own, have decided to head back after 14 years....as not come across many recent posts, are you able to offer any advice on things/issues you encountered or maybe hadn’t thought about regarding the process of moving back or might have done differently had you known....?All the best CHT
The only problem we had was finding a suitable rental that would allow a dog.

Other than that everything else went sweet as a nut.

I did find it was stressful though .. even more so than moving to NZ but I don't know why.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:44 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
The only problem we had was finding a suitable rental that would allow a dog.

Other than that everything else went sweet as a nut.

I did find it was stressful though .. even more so than moving to NZ but I don't know why.
I didn't have the dog issue, but could not pass a UK credit check after so many years away and had to cough up 6 months rent in advance.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I didn't have the dog issue, but could not pass a UK credit check after so many years away and had to cough up 6 months rent in advance.
We passed the credit check but coughing up 6 months rent in advance helped with the dog issue. Bought a house and moved out within 3 months so got most of it back!
Old Feb 12th 2018, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

ChrisHT is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are taking our dog so found your previous post regarding Jetpets useful as we are in Tauranga also. How did you find the process of opening Bank Acct etc & i see you bought a property in a short time frame, do you mind if i ask how you also found getting mortgage etc as i have heard that you may not be eligble for upto 6 months....?Sorry for all the questions but like you say, i found the move to NZ relatively "easy" compared to the return!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.