Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

From the sublime to the mundane: Driving

From the sublime to the mundane: Driving

Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From the sublime to the mundane: Driving

Thanks for the comments. I have pretty good driving habits, can start a car on a hill, drive in reverse, parallel park etc. so maybe I am further along than I realize. I will take some lessons and stop worrying about it. I definitely feel it is within the realm of possibility having read your comments. Again, many thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 3:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VeryVeritas
Thanks for the comments. I have pretty good driving habits, can start a car on a hill, drive in reverse, parallel park etc. so maybe I am further along than I realize. I will take some lessons and stop worrying about it. I definitely feel it is within the realm of possibility having read your comments. Again, many thanks.
I too regularly swap between countries, LHD and RHD, and manual and automatics.

For me, there are only three problems, and they ease with time.

First, driving on the wrong side of the road, or the fear of doing so.

In traffic you'll be fine -- very difficult to drive on the wrong side of the road when it's full of cars coming in the opposite direction. Danger times are when there are no or few other cars about (or moving). The obvious times are when the roads are empty, but also beware of car parks where all the cars around you may be parked: just remember to take extra care. On the open road, if in doubt I just double-check that I / the steering wheel is on the side nearest the middle of the road -- that's all you need to remember. I remember an episode of Dragons Den where a bright-but-dim couple were trying to promote a single white glove to be worn on the right hand in UK and on the left hand in RHD countries, to signify that that hand / side of the car should be nearest the centre of the road: in principle a fine idea, but hardly a business proposition. You might try that at first -- a golf glove costs less than a fiver (you'll need one for a left-handed golfer) and is ideal for driving in. Just remember: white glove = white centre-line on the road.

Second, gear changes.

If you'll be driving a manual (and currently drive one where you are), you'll probably find that when you go to change gear quickly, you'll end up using your right hand and whacking it into the driver's door. I'm not sure of a cure for that, other than practice. Maybe the glove would work -- keep in mind that you never change gear with your gloved hand. If you'll drive an automatic, it shouldn't be an issue.

Third, lane placement.

On multi-land roads you may find it counter-instinctive to be in the centre of the lane, since you're accustomed to passing other cars with a certain sideways distance. Again, you'll become re-accustomed spatially relatively quickly.

All the other various manouevres (particularly right turns and roundabouts) will be instinctive when you're on the correct side of the road.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Some great tips. In my case, I don't think a gloved hand is a bad reminder at all. And you are right about it being easier when there are actually other cars on the road. In my few abortive attempts to take over the wheel on past trips we went to remote areas, car parks, and in thinking about it, there really weren't any reference points at all, just my husband yelling instructions. We also had manual transmissions, and while I have no problem with a stick shift, it might be easier in the beginning with an automatic transmission.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our son is planning on moving to the UK next year and has never held a UK driving licence as we all moved over while he was a child. I told him that he will be able to drive on his US licence for up to 12 months but that he should take some lessons and then a driving test as soon as possible. (he's held a US licence for ~15 years)

One question I couldn't answer is if he can take the test with his US driving licence or does he need to apply for a UK provisional licence? I'm also assuming he can take the test in an automatic and receive a restricted licence. (the thought of learning to drive a "stick shift" worries him more than driving on the left).
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
One question I couldn't answer is if he can take the test with his US driving licence or does he need to apply for a UK provisional licence? I'm also assuming he can take the test in an automatic and receive a restricted licence. (the thought of learning to drive a "stick shift" worries him more than driving on the left).
Yes, he can do that, although finding a driving school with an available automatic might be tricky in less populated parts of the UK. As Pulaski pointed out upthread, the UK driving test is rather rigorous these days. Lessons will be needed.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That trick has been cracked down. You can only exchange a Canadian licence if you passed your test in Canada. It also restricts you to automatics.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, he can do that, although finding a driving school with an available automatic might be tricky in less populated parts of the UK. As Pulaski pointed out upthread, the UK driving test is rather rigorous these days. Lessons will be needed.
Excellent, thanks for that. I have told him about how difficult the test is and that the chances of success first time are as low as 50/50, although he has seen a 25 year old cousin of his that has recently passed her test at the first attempt.

We have an automatic that he can use so I'm hoping that I can find a driving instructor or school who will be able to give him lessons in his own car.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 7:03 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by durham_lad

We have an automatic that he can use so I'm hoping that I can find a driving instructor or school who will be able to give him lessons in his own car.
That should be no problem at all, given that he is already licensed. The hard part is finding a driving school with a dual control automatic for beginners.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There's a workaround. Do what my wife did. She took her test in California but later swapped the licence in Ontario and ultimately swapped that one for a GB one.
That is the best tip I've read on here.

I would like to go without a car in the UK because they think at my age (80*) I'm not capable but the idea of walking to and waiting at the bus stop when its dark, cold, raining and the wind blowing is a little too much. (did I say I would like to go without a car)

Cheers

*in 12 months
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That is the best tip I've read on here.

I would like to go without a car in the UK because they think at my age (80*) I'm not capable but the idea of walking to and waiting at the bus stop when its dark, cold, raining and the wind blowing is a little too much. (did I say I would like to go without a car)

Cheers

*in 12 months
For the cost of buying and maintaining a car (servicing, insurance, fuel, depreciation, and loan interest/investment opportunity cost), you could use a taxi for pretty much all local journeys and taxi-train-taxi for longer journeys.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:02 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For the cost of buying and maintaining a car (servicing, insurance, fuel, depreciation, and loan interest/investment opportunity cost), you could use a taxi for pretty much all local journeys and taxi-train-taxi for longer journeys.
Which is what I did when I lived in London. But you have to choose your location with care: not all rural areas have local taxi services, and bus services are also patchy.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is what I did when I lived in London. But you have to choose your location with care: not all rural areas have local taxi services, and bus services are also patchy.
My mother lives in Gloucester, a city of only about 100,000 and she has a fairly good bus service a few minutes walk from her home where she can catch a bus into Gloucester or over to Cheltenham, but she frequently uses a taxi when she has shopping to carry, when it's raining, or if she doesn't feel like walking.

I suspect that this "model" of getting around would work in most cities and towns across the UK, but I definitely agree with you, it probably wouldn't work as well in the smallest towns and villages.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 29th 2016 at 11:26 am.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I live quite happily where I am with no car. In some areas it would be very difficult. On our island in the Clyde Estuary it is easy ! Those who wish to avoid becoming petrolheads should make a close study of the transport systems in their chosen location !
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The nearest taxi firm to where I live in Devon is sixteen miles away. I haven't used them recently, but I think any journey from here starts at around £40. As for buses, the nearest bus stop is a mile and a half distant, from which there are about five buses a day in one direction and five in the other. The nearest railway station is 25 miles away.