Studying in the UK

Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Studying in the UK

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I went through all this when my daughter was studying for her BacS option International in Toulouse. We ended moving to the US but anyway here goes...

You apply to the british universities via UCAS. If you are hoping to go in September 2016 I think you may already be too late -check the dates.

You will pay the same fees as UK nationals - this is what happens. After you are accepted the UK government will pay your tuition fees to the University that you will be attending. You will start repaying the tuition fees once you start working and earning over about £21,000. If you are working in the UK, it will be deducted from your salary automatically. if you are outside the UK, then you will make arrangements to pay it. UK University fees are £9-£10k per year. You will also need money to live on and you should budget about £10k for this, more in London.

The top universities will expect you to be getting 16/20 and 14/20 will get you into Russell Group (Bristol, Durham, Exeter etc).

We know plenty of kids who went from Bac option international to the UK very successfully. The application is straightforward enough.
Have you considered Canada? If you can get french citizenship, then that is also a very good option for you.

Keep asking questions! We are here to help.

Your next step will be to go to UCAS site to look at application deadlines.
I refuse to become a french citizen. I'm going in 2018. Also, I'm doing a normal Bac, not option internationale.

Last edited by OkUK; Jan 31st 2016 at 6:38 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OkUK
I refuse to become a french citizen. I'm going in 2018. Also, I'm doing a normal Bac, not option internationale.
You've got plenty of time to prepare! Concentrate on getting a good French Bac, and do your best in Philosophy when the time comes. Students' final averages are always brought down by low marks in Philo....
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
You've got plenty of time to prepare! Concentrate on getting a good French Bac, and do your best in Philosophy when the time comes. Students' final averages are always brought down by low marks in Philo....
Thanks, yeah. I'll do my best.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't really matter if you are doing option internationale or not - these were the kids I knew of which is why I mentioned it. The advantage of this course is that it proves beyond doubt your english language capabilities - which is important. How else can you prove your capabilities? Can you take at least the GCSE English? Cambridge exam - someone I knew about did this.

OKUK - I know that french lycee is BRUTAL. I can't stress enough the importance of self-confidence to get you where you want to go. Going to the UK is a perfectly feasible idea for you - just find out the steps you need to take and follow that path. British Universities really like French educated students because you have excellent study habits, great discipline and they know you haven't been molly-coddled at all. Don't let the teachers get you down, they really don't know any better. My favourite bad lycee teacher story.... to the BacS students at the end of their very first physics lesson with her when she had stood there and recited notes, allowed no questions or interruptions....a student asked a question and she replied "Well, if you don't understand that at this point, you are really in the merde...."!!!

The students in this class formed a study group to get them through with decent grades.

Come back here if you need a boost or help at all with any part of the application. A couple of us on the french forum had kids who went to study in the UK or elsewhere and we can help with things like your personal essay. Butter up your English teacher....
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

It doesn't really matter if you are doing option internationale or not - these were the kids I knew of which is why I mentioned it. The advantage of this course is that it proves beyond doubt your english language capabilities - which is important. How else can you prove your capabilities? Can you take at least the GCSE English? Cambridge exam - someone I knew about did this.

OKUK - I know that french lycee is BRUTAL. I can't stress enough the importance of self-confidence to get you where you want to go. Going to the UK is a perfectly feasible idea for you - just find out the steps you need to take and follow that path. British Universities really like French educated students because you have excellent study habits, great discipline and they know you haven't been molly-coddled at all. Don't let the teachers get you down, they really don't know any better. My favourite bad lycee teacher story.... to the BacS students at the end of their very first physics lesson with her when she had stood there and recited notes, allowed no questions or interruptions....a student asked a question and she replied "Well, if you don't understand that at this point, you are really in the merde...."!!!

The students in this class formed a study group to get them through with decent grades.

Come back here if you need a boost or help at all with any part of the application. A couple of us on the french forum had kids who went to study in the UK or elsewhere and we can help with things like your personal essay. Butter up your English teacher....
I have 20 in English since I'm at the same level as any British student. Shouldn't that alone prove my "level" in English?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

And thanks for the support!
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I have 20 in English since I'm at the same level as any British student. Shouldn't that alone prove my "level" in English?
Your best bet is to contact the admissions department at the universities you want to go to, or look on their websites under admissions -english language proficiency. The english classes you are taking are not for native speakers and I would suspect that they might ask you to take a further test that all the incoming students from non-english language countries will take. It won't be a big deal for you if you have to do it. But you should investigate this as part of your preparations.

My kids were educated totally in French schools and we spoke only English at home. They all had extra private individual english language tuition for many years but, apart from the eldest child, they found studying completely in english when we moved to the US a bit of a struggle.

Investigate. Knowledge and preparation are the keys to getting there.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

I did my Brevet as a Brevet Option Internationale. Will that work as proof?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:22 pm
Austin. TX.

I did my Brevet as a Brevet Option Internationale. Will that work as proof?
So you studied ?Geography/history in english? if I remember correctly.

It will help certainly. Ask admissions departments. I have found them all to be very friendly. There are also some forums for international/EU students, try to find one since they can be very helpful. I'll ask my kids which ones they have used.

My son says Reddit has a lot of info. Just google your question and see what comes up.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jan 31st 2016 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:32 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
"International Baccalaureate
Students of the International Baccalaureate are usually required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s and 7s in the higher-level subjects."

....from the Oxford University admissions page. I don't know what that actually means since I don't know the "scoring" mechanism for the Bac, but that's something you might need to know.
For info:

The french Baccalaureate has nothing to do with the International Baccalaureate. For future reference - IB students will study 4 subjects to HL, 7 is the highest mark. They get extra marks for other projects required during their final year.
38-40 points is probably the equivalent to 16 in the french system.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Those resident in a EU State can study at a Scottish University on the same basis as those resident in Scotland (ie no fees). This does not apply to those resident in England, Wales or NI.
Yes indeed.
If the OP has been resident and educated in France then going to a Scottish University is going to be hugely less expensive than attending an English University.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

I'd much rather go to a UK one. Money isn't a huge problem, I'll be frugal and am not afraid of huge debts.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd much rather go to a UK one. Money isn't a huge problem, I'll be frugal and am not afraid of huge debts.
Sorry to split hairs, but shouldn't that read "English"? AFAIK Scotland is still in the UK....
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For info:

The french Baccalaureate has nothing to do with the International Baccalaureate. For future reference - IB students will study 4 subjects to HL, 7 is the highest mark. They get extra marks for other projects required during their final year.
38-40 points is probably the equivalent to 16 in the french system.
So I'd gathered. Thanks for the info.