Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So it's happening.....what to sell, what to ship?(shipping questions)

So it's happening.....what to sell, what to ship?(shipping questions)

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So it's happening.....what to sell, what to ship?(shipping questions)

Another vote for shipping just small/sentimental stuff. I'm really glad I brought what I did, ie a few boxes of personal stuff and small practical things, no furniture. I now have a nice balance of items that I love with a few new things to ring the changes. Amazon and Ikea love me
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default Re: So it's happening.....what to sell, what to ship?(shipping questions)

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
So things really are picking up. I had thought it was just our neighborhood. Ours was 24 hours to accepting an offer. House at the end of the street just sold too. That took 2 or 3 days, also never got a sign up before selling like us and another round the corner.
Same here our sign isnt even up yet!

Eeeek now its a mad rush to start deciding what to sell/keep/donate (it's like being on an epsiode of hoarders!!) Oh and the small matter of finding a job in the UK.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilto
Same here our sign isnt even up yet!

Eeeek now its a mad rush to start deciding what to sell/keep/donate (it's like being on an epsiode of hoarders!!) Oh and the small matter of finding a job in the UK.
I know. It's like we've just seen the light and no longer need any of our hoard. Theres stuff getting sent off to the charity shop like crazy in my house. Anything small goes, anything worth less than about $50 goes, anything big is first dibs to friends, and thing big and expensive (very little in my house) gets put up for sale on the local face book sale page.
So far we sold
2 boats
2 cars
1 outboard engine
Bunkbeds
single bed
chest of drawers.
Friends have dibs on.
One car
chest of drawers and toy chest
Sideboard
Dresser and bedside tables
Not much left to sell after that.

I have managed to overheat the paper shredder today One box 2 of old papers and taxes, I've done about 5 boxes over the last three weeks, and two more to go. If it doesn't cool off and start working again, I'll have to go and buy one won't I?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I know. It's like we've just seen the light and no longer need any of our hoard. Theres stuff getting sent off to the charity shop like crazy in my house. Anything small goes, anything worth less than about $50 goes, anything big is first dibs to friends, and thing big and expensive (very little in my house) gets put up for sale on the local face book sale page.
So far we sold
2 boats
2 cars
1 outboard engine
Bunkbeds
single bed
chest of drawers.
Friends have dibs on.
One car
chest of drawers and toy chest
Sideboard
Dresser and bedside tables
Not much left to sell after that.

I have managed to overheat the paper shredder today One box 2 of old papers and taxes, I've done about 5 boxes over the last three weeks, and two more to go. If it doesn't cool off and start working again, I'll have to go and buy one won't I?
I was lucky enough to have a friend with an industrial shredder. It still took over an hour to get the thing done!

The clearance thing: I think I was a clutterer rather than a hoarder; I knew full well I could let go of things without anguish, but it was the volume-and the speed at which it would need to be done. I faced that with complete anxiety.

I made sure the most important papers were safe (this is where the biggest amassing occurred for me. hanging on to papers, because sooner of later a supplier will come in with 'we didn't say this/that').
I knew that some 'mid important' papers may get caught up in this, but decided to go ahead.
A clearance team came in for two days-I had to take multiple decisions at warp speed, sometimes turning from one to the other as they held things up for keeping or taking.

It took the ensuing weeks to discover what had actually gone. I have only had one casualty where something I wanted to keep has gone.
As many would have discovered, it is a cathartic process, which leads to 'an incredible lightness of being'! It frees us up to go onto the next problem.....
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Are you allowed a fire pit or similar in CA? I plan on burning all of our docs in a metal barrel my mother has.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Are you allowed a fire pit or similar in CA? I plan on burning all of our docs in a metal barrel my mother has.
We are in AZ and hubby uses a metal barrel in the back garden to burn anything that has our names, bank details etc It's only lit for a few minutes.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't allowed a fire pit where you live, another option is to use one of these professional companies that will take confidential documents and shred them for you.

Re: Firepits, a neighbour burnt some paper recently on an open fire and the burnt bits floated up into the air and covered the whole neighbourhood (on a weekend/laundry day)! he wasn't popular with the neighbours, flipping numpty.

Wouldn't recommend burning large amounts of paper on an open fire unless you live out in the boonies. Closed fire (brazier type thing) would be fine though, I presume.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
No burn barrels allowed at all any more. Winter burning of yard waste only allowed on burn days. Too high risk for fires.
I did burn a box full over a day in the woodstove, stunk out the house So we gave that up.
Shedding it is, the shredder cooled off and started working again later in the evening.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Penderray is an unknown quantity at this point

We are returning to the UK on the 23rd Aug, just wondering if we can take our remaining beer & wine or do I need to have my friends around every night. Shipping a 40 foot container Vancouver to UK a whopping $19k