Reload this Page >

Single Mum of Twins Moving Back to UK

Single Mum of Twins Moving Back to UK

Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Bluesafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Single Mum of Twins Moving Back to UK

Hello All,

I am a single mum for 3 yrs old twins. I am a British citizen and have been living outside UK for almost 9yrs now. Currently I am being made redundant by my employer and me planning to move back to UK. I have been applying for jobs in the UK, but no luck so far. I have a house in the UK which is on Buy to let mortgage, which means I can not live in without transferring into a residential mortgage. I have no immediate family there. There are few friends, who could help in case of emergencies.

What support/ benefits I could get once I am back in UK, while finding a full time job? Your advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Bluesafe
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Mum of Twins Moving Back to UK

Originally Posted by Bluesafe
Hello All,

I am a single mum for 3 yrs old twins. I am a British citizen and have been living outside UK for almost 9yrs now. Currently I am being made redundant by my employer and me planning to move back to UK. I have been applying for jobs in the UK, but no luck so far. I have a house in the UK which is on Buy to let mortgage, which means I can not live in without transferring into a residential mortgage. I have no immediate family there. There are few friends, who could help in case of emergencies.

What support/ benefits I could get once I am back in UK, while finding a full time job? Your advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Bluesafe
Welcome to BE

I'll move your post to the UK forum - we have a lot of people in there with info on benefits and support for returnees.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Bluesafe, begin with the following & just to mention to get British passports for your children

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...-and-children/

and of course the NHS

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...tients-rights/

"The UK has a publicly-funded health care system: the National Health Service, or NHS. The National Health Service aims to provide free, quality health care for all, but must limit eligibility to ensure that the system is not exploited. The following people are entitled to health care from the NHS:

British citizens resident in UK

Once you are a UK resident, you will need to register at a General Practitioner's, or GPs, Surgery. Friends, relatives, colleagues or classmates should be able to recommend a suitable local practice. If you need help, doctors' surgeries are listed in the telephone directory, and many have details listed online if you search for local GP surgeries. You can also contact your local branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau or CAB (listed in the telephone directory) for details of local surgeries and/or doctors who speak your native language, if you are uncomfortable speaking English.

If you need to see a doctor, you will need to contact the surgery to make an appointment. Most surgeries are open outside regular office hours, for example from eight in the morning until seven at night, but will usually close for one or two hours at lunch"

Last edited by not2old; Jul 7th 2015 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Thank you

Bluesafe
Probably the most important thing after geting the passports would be to get written permission from the father to remove them from where you currently are. This is essential, you either need permission from him im writing, or a court order if he isn't prepared to let them go.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

How much capital is there in your BTL?

Nothing for 3 months, as you have been outside the UK for so long. Nothing for 2 years for any sickness benefits or carers benefits.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...Residence-Test

After that, it depends how much capital in in your BTL, the rent you receive from that, any other savings and whether your area has already been moved onto Universal Credit (the new benefit that replaces most income based benefits under the Welfare Reforms).

Last edited by formula; Jul 7th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
How much capital is there in your BTL?

good point that - should the OP have income from or sells the property, may likely not be eligible for certain benefits.

OP, use the calculator to check you eligibility

http://www.entitledto.co.uk

Last edited by not2old; Jul 7th 2015 at 6:11 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Which country are you living in? Where your children born there or in the UK?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have a house in the UK which is on Buy to let mortgage, which means I can not live in without transferring into a residential mortgage.
Aren't mortgage rates on buy to let mortgages higher? If so, why would they care if the owner were living in it? Many people on here have returned to live in the UK in the house they were renting out.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Bluesafe is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are British citizens born in a middle east country. Also the country we are now living is not signed up to the Hague Convention, which means I don't need his permission or written agreement before moving with the kids (Atleast thats my understanding). Moreover I have been raising them myself all these years with no financial input from him. Also he is not a British Citizen.

With regards to the capital in my BLT property, with current property values I would imagine it would come around GBP 50k. I do not have any other savings. I may have enough money to survive for 3 months. Thats about it.

Whatever income I am currently receiving is used to make mortgage payments. To be honest as the interest rates have gone up recently the rent does not even cover the mortgage payments.