Should we move back

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Reevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should we move back

Oh I am 35 btw, so I do hope the babies come soon and then we would have to move back after our first child and my maternity. I hope for a Canadian baby and then a British baby, fingers crossed!

Aaron has no ties to the EU.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Reevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant futureReevokid has a brilliant future

Thanks Mr Muffin. Cornwall will be a lovely place to work! Jealous! Saw this agency Client work and case studies by fffunction Although I am sure you have done your research already.

I hope Aaron will be able to do well too, although his line of work doesn't seem to pay as well as it does here in Calgary. Once he lands with his papers can he work?
Forum Regular

That didn't work: Client work and case studies by fffunction
Just Joined

LondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really nice

Having lived in both the UK and the USA for a number of years (and been back & forth after a three year stint not that long ago back home in the UK), I think it's important for both of you to be very clear about expectations and what life may be like. I think a really good idea is to make a list of the pros and cons of both countries for the short & longer term. The list has to be brutally honest so you can fully understand the positives and negatives of each place. Then if you do move, there are not so many unexpected negative surprises.

You said that your husband is 'prepared' to move back to the UK for you, which is obviously a very selfless thing for him to do. Putting your emotional needs aside, how does he feel about moving? He may say that he will deal with it etc etc, but if you are going to make the move, the focus should then be on making sure that his understanding of what it's really going to be like living in the UK as a Canadian will be.

The last thing you want is for your husband to be in the exact same position as you, or even possibly resent you overtime for pushing for this move.

For example - what kind of home will you be able to afford vs what you currently live in? If it's going to be much smaller/more expensive, is he okay with that?

Weather - I understand it's pretty sunny in Calgary? As the UK doesn't really get that much sunshine and the weather to be honest, can be pretty miserable, will he be okay with that? Some people who have been raised in sunny places find living in the more gloomy UK climate pretty tough.

Again, just things to really think about as you don't just want him sucking it up for you, because unless he's really bought into the idea for both of you, you may find that it's him getting down in the dumps or even depressed after a couple of years. Then you are back to square one.

Last edited by LondonOllie; Nov 22nd 2014 at 4:18 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reevokid
Lots of coffee, beards and tats! Reevokid... thank you ffffor doing that. Much appreciated

Last edited by MrMuffin; Nov 22nd 2014 at 4:17 pm. Reason: sp
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I am 35 btw, so I do hope the babies come soon and then we would have to move back after our first child and my maternity. I hope for a Canadian baby and then a British baby, fingers crossed!

Related to all the Financial requirements I displayed for you to work out whether you can bring your partner in and what savings may be required one thing I suggest . . . try and hold onto the babies until you get into the UK as for each child brought in Financial requirements will go up beyond £18,600.

Hope you find a job !

Good Luck !
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Err if you are both a Canadian and British citizen, and you have children in Canada your children will likely be British by descent and Canadian by birth so have dual nationality. If they were born in Britain they would be British by birth and Canadian by descent. Actually either way if they are born in UK they will be dual nationality as hubby is Canadian so if born in UK they would be Canadian by descent

If they become British by descent and you move back to the UK they will basically become equivalent to otherwise than by descent citizens after 3 years residence in the UK so its actually best for them to be born in Canada.

If the children are British the financial requirement does not go up from the £18,600 as you can't impose a financial requirement for bringing a british citizen back to the UK as they have the constitutional right of abode.

Last edited by Gozit; Nov 22nd 2014 at 8:02 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well by the sound of it, both babies would be dual Canadian and British citizens. If you mean you want one born in Canada and one in UK, I would really take care with that. Things might change and you might find yourself trapped in Canada once the bub comes along. I have been on BE long enough to know if you are not happy in a country, don't have a baby there!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well by the sound of it, both babies would be dual Canadian and British citizens. If you mean you want one born in Canada and one in UK, I would really take care with that. Things might change and you might find yourself trapped in Canada once the bub comes along. I have been on BE long enough to know if you are not happy in a country, don't have a baby there!
Agree with this, but if the plan is to move back to UK, citizenship wise is better for bub[s] to be born in Canada because then they are Canadian otherwise than by descent and will be British by descent but after 3 years residence in the UK will become de facto British otherwise than by descent. But either way bubs will be dual nationality.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agree with this, but if the plan is to move back to UK, citizenship wise is better for bub[s] to be born in Canada because then they are Canadian otherwise than by descent and will be British by descent but after 3 years residence in the UK will become de facto British otherwise than by descent. But either way bubs will be dual nationality.
Unless once the baby comes along the husband changes his mind and she's stuck with the choice of either leaving her baby in Canada and going home alone or staying in Canada where she doesn't want to be.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but my point was not really about citizenship rules, it was about her trapping herself in a country she doesn't want to be in because of the Hague Convention.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Unless once the baby comes along the husband changes his mind and she's stuck with the choice of either leaving her baby in Canada and going home alone or staying in Canada where she doesn't want to be.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes, but my point was not really about citizenship rules, it was about her trapping herself in a country she doesn't want to be in because of the Hague Convention.
Yeah I get this. That's all about trust and whether or not she trusts OH to do the right thing, and if she doesn't trust him that brings up the question of is the relationship a good idea anyways...? Agreed Hague convention can be a bitch sometimes. Like I said no matter where baby is born, s/he will be dual nationality so its just a matter of where Reevokid wants to have them, taking into account the citizenship benefits of it like I said above, or it could just be by chance.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I get this. That's all about trust and whether or not she trusts OH to do the right thing, and if she doesn't trust him that brings up the question of is the relationship a good idea anyways...? Agreed Hague convention can be a bitch sometimes. Like I said no matter where baby is born, s/he will be dual nationality so its just a matter of where Reevokid wants to have them, taking into account the citizenship benefits of it like I said above, or it could just be by chance.
It's not a matter of trust; it's a matter of looking out for yourself and your child's future. From someone who had a marriage break down (after 20+ years) I can tell you that it's absolutely shit to have to make a choice to either stay with your children in a place you don't want to be or leave them behind and go where you do want to be.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But the children will have dual citizenship anyway. That is all good, she doesn't need to trap herself in order to get some kind of perceived platinum plated citizenship.

And it isn't about trust, it isn't about a rocky relationship. It is just that none of us know what the future holds and the fact is that relationships do break down. One in three I believe.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have not visited here for quite some time. 3 years ago I fell in love with a Canadian fella on a weeks holiday in Mexico. It was one of those 'I just knew moments'. To cut a long story short we now very happily married and live in Calgary.

My problem is I am so homesick and I miss my family terribly. I have found it very difficult to settle here. It has been 2 and a half years and I thought by now I would have got used to it but I haven't. In fact I experience panic attacks regularly and at times gut wrenching grief.

I have made lots of friends here and my husband is a wonderful man. I just can't get over not seeing my family every weekend. I see them through the computer screen sat round the table sharing food and my heart aches to be there. I cannot imagine this ever going away.

My husband is prepared to move to England for me. I am not sure he is in love with the idea but he says he would move to see me happy.

Should I try to make it work here ( do I need longer?) or should I look into moving back?

Any advice welcome.
Hi Reevokid

Another vote for 'do it' here. On one side, you are happy and Aaron is quite prepared to make a go of it. On the other side, you are miserable and Aaron has an unhappy wife, probably making him miserable too.

No contest. Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.