Reload this Page >

Shipping personal items from Canada to the UK

Shipping personal items from Canada to the UK

Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

junkiejenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping personal items from Canada to the UK

Hi ,
I was hoping that I could get some advice and or tips from other's who have shipped their personal items back to the UK from Canada. We are living in Calgary and plan on moving back to the UK in the Spring/summer of 2012. We only plan on taking sentimental items back thus will likely only have about a dozen boxes at most. We are looking for the most economical way therefore doesn't matter how long it will take for them to arrive. Can anyone share with me which company they used, what type of boxes they used and where they got them? or anyother suggestions?

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping personal items from Canada to the UK

Originally Posted by junkiejenny
Hi ,
I was hoping that I could get some advice and or tips from other's who have shipped their personal items back to the UK from Canada. We are living in Calgary and plan on moving back to the UK in the Spring/summer of 2012. We only plan on taking sentimental items back thus will likely only have about a dozen boxes at most. We are looking for the most economical way therefore doesn't matter how long it will take for them to arrive. Can anyone share with me which company they used, what type of boxes they used and where they got them? or anyother suggestions?

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer
Have you considered Surface Mail? If you Google Canada Post + Surface Mail you will find a lot of info.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Hi ,

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer
Ironically we are in the same situation as yourself but moving from US to the UK with also about a dozen boxes. So far, I haven't been really successful in obtaining a firm that can provide a quotation anything below $1000.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manny1980
Ironically we are in the same situation as yourself but moving from US to the UK with also about a dozen boxes. So far, I haven't been really successful in obtaining a firm that can provide a quotation anything below $1000.
If you do find a company would you mind posting the name of the company (website, phone # etc)? I too have boxes and can't seem to find a reasonable quote as well
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brigette
If you do find a company would you mind posting the name of the company (website, phone # etc)? I too have boxes and can't seem to find a reasonable quote as well
Sure, I shall do so once I find something.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by manny1980

I would be interested in knowing who you even got a quote for 1000.00. Seems that everyone i talked to has quoted much more than this. Thanks for your response and good luck yourself.
Cheers,
Jen
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

I would be interested in knowing who you even got a quote for 1000.00. Seems that everyone i talked to has quoted much more than this. Thanks for your response and good luck yourself.
Cheers,
Jen
I did not receive a quote from them but if you check the rates for "Baggage Shipping", if your shipment is between 30-50 cubic-feet then the rate is $810+$125 = $935 for door-to-door service.

http://www.upakweship.com/index.php

I am still looking else where as I am a little unhappy about the lack of flexibility provided in the above quote i.e whether one ships 30-cubic feet OR 50-cubic feet of items, the cost will remain the same. But I may come back to them in case I fail to find a cheaper quote elsewhere.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

I had a look at the Upakweship website an unfortunately they do not ship from the west of Canada.

I also checked out Canada Post Surface and it is about 200 per box which is quite pricy.

The hunt continues....argg
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

UK BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jennifer, i just joined today after reading your message.I too am looking to ship to
uk . after 36 years i have ha.d enough!!!!!
An idea for you as i have been seeking out ways to move my belongings back to uk
1. find another party who may let you " piggy back"your belongings with thiers and share the cost.

2. call a company like Britannia in the UK and get the canada agent to give you a quote.

I have had a quote to ship 3 crates to uk from Vancouver for about $1000,from a shipping company ,i am awaiting confirmation.

I'll post my results when i get them.
best regards.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you only have boxes and/or a small amount of items to send, why not send them Air Transat Cargo? The prices are very reasonable, the insurance extremely cheap and the service very fast

http://www.airtransatcargo.com/en/co.../product-offer

The goods can either travel on the same flight you are on (you take them to the airport a few hours early) or alternatively you can have the goods collected for shipment separately.

I have found they are very helpful and respond to email enquiries within 24 hours.

Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK BOUND
Hi Jennifer, i just joined today after reading your message.I too am looking to ship to
uk . after 36 years i have ha.d enough!!!!!
An idea for you as i have been seeking out ways to move my belongings back to uk
1. find another party who may let you " piggy back"your belongings with thiers and share the cost.

2. call a company like Britannia in the UK and get the canada agent to give you a quote.

I have had a quote to ship 3 crates to uk from Vancouver for about $1000,from a shipping company ,i am awaiting confirmation.

I'll post my results when i get them.
best regards.
UK Bound - I'm very interested to find out who you got the quote from. My husband and I are moving back with our two small children this year from Victoria.

Last edited by Madge_MR; Jan 8th 2012 at 4:46 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really that difficult to ship stuff from Canada to the UK?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

Expensive - from the quotes I have been sent. Not difficult really.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

UK BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi madge, before i forget, be aware of port and other charge in the UK!!!!
I have moved crates across before and the charges are far more on the other side of the pond.
I am waiting on Brittania to call back and still waiting for final quote from shipper.
I a[I]m trying to take back some family furniture also.

I can also look up details of company in uk that handles my ppaperwork over there also.

Other thought is, BA allow ,at extra charge up to 10 bags per person per flight.

I am going with one free bag and an extra bag and a bike oin my checked luggage, about $150.

Siouxie had a good point ,try air cargo, but Air Transat told me i had to go through an agent first.

I'll be back on 2morrow with some more news. Good luck back in Uk, any idea where you will be heading??/
Also there are more jobs available over there than here in Vancouver!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to go through an agent for Air Transat Cargo. My son air freighted some of his stuff with them a year ago without any problem.

I am copying an email I just received from them in regards to an enquiry I made for someone else who is shipping good to Canada. If you contact him I am sure he can offer advice for doing it the other way around. Edit: Having just checked the website, they also offer services to the UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good morning,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Airfreight works very differently from baggage in that the shipment needs to be delivered to the cargo terminal at the departure airport at least 6 hours prior to flight departure and is collected from the cargo terminal at destination.

Our cargo warehouses are open 24/7 and you can deliver up to 4 days prior to departure and following arrival you have 48h to collect before storage will accrue.

In the UK we can arrange to collect from you but there is an additional charge for this that depends on your location.

All charges are based on ‘chargeable weight’. The chargeable weight is the greater of the actual weight and the volume weight. Volume weight is calculated by multiplying the cubic meters by 167. So if you had 0.5 cubic meters the volume weight would be 83.5kgs.

Freight Charges are as follows:

Airfreight: GBP £0.60 per kg / Min £50.00
Handling: GBP £0.20/kg Min £25.00
Security: GBP £0.20/kg Min £25.00
Surcharge: GBP £0.50/kg
Docs: GBP £50.00

On arrival in Canada you will also have import fees to pay of approx. CAD$50.00

If you do wish to proceed with a cargo booking please forward the following information:

Number of boxes / bags.
Weight & dimensions of each piece.
Brief description of contents.
When do you want shipment to travel?
Your name, address & contact details in both the UK and Canada
Date you would like to deliver, which airport you would like to deliver to or date you would like us to collect from you?
In Toronto the zip code for the cargo warehouse is L5P 1B1, customs is in the same block.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.
Kind regards
Mark
Air Transat Cargo

Clipper Cargo
Unit 5
80 High Street
Egham
Surrey TW20 9HE
Tel: 01784-431831
Fax: 01784-477945

E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.clipper.co.uk

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2012 at 6:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.