Reload this Page >

Shipping items back to UK from USA

Shipping items back to UK from USA

Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:17 am
Just Joined

christy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping items back to UK from USA

Hi

This is my first post. Long story but I am returning to the Uk within a month. I came here to marry my sweetheart and was lucky to get a H1B visa as I got a job teaching. Just before our 2nd wedding anniversary my husband died in an accident. My world came to a standstill but I carried on living here in the US for the next 3 years - I just could not face the big upheaval and had a real need to keep everything else the same in my life. Glad that I did this but now I have a grandson in Scotland and I have decided to return. I was fortunate enough to interview for a teaching job in Scotland when I was back in the summer and heard this week that I have the job! It is in the same town as my son, daughter-in-law and grandson live. Pure coincidence as I was willing to take any job in Scotland just to be able to go back.

Anyway........I told you it was a long story! I have been going over that problem of what to take back with me.. Should I only take 10 boxes of the precious stuff or should I take a few large pieces of furniture and my bike as well. Anybody out there had any experience with excess baggage.com? If you have:
1. DO they supply boxes in USA?
2. Do you need to use double walled boxes if they don't supply them?
3. Where do you get double walled boxes?
4. Who is the best company to use if you only want to take some boxes and a few pieces of furniture and a bike?

Every day I set myself some tasks to do to try and get through the huge amount that needs to be done. I find that I have to do it in little bits as it is emotionally overwhelming at times when I have to sort through all the stuff that my husband and I shared and get rid of most of it. I did the whole thing in reverse 5 years ago but then it was in the happy anticipation of being with the man I loved! But as they say life goes on......
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:05 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping items back to UK from USA

I don't know where you would get double walled boxes from, maybe try a self storage place who usually have boxes for sale.

I would not bother taking a bike back. Regarding furniture, it depends on quality and what it is, since you could get furniture back there. Also you'll be able to get a bike there.

There have been several threads regarding excess baggage so do a search on shipping boxes and/or excess baggage.

We have just sent over a box 18 x 18x 20 surface mail which cost us $132.00
from Canada. This might give you an indication of cost, but USA don't do surface mail any more only airmail which would cost a lot more.

Also do a search for small shipping of boxes. If you decide on furniture then it would be a small container or perhaps a shared container which sometimes takes longer because they have to fill it up.

Hope this is of help to you.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hi christy, not sure about shipping smaller things back to the UK but just a suggestion...could you contact a local int moving company and see about sharing a container? i know some peeps moved back to the uk from houston and they talked about 'sharing a container' and it worked out quite well. good luck whatever you decide
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

From friends of mine that have moved back from the US to the UK, they all generally say not to move anything but essentials and sentimental items.

The cost of moving doesn't make it worthwhile.

A friends who moved back a few years back said that if he knew then what he knows now, he would have sold everything he could have given away the rest and just shipped back books, DVD's and sentimental items and come back with just his laptop and suitcases.

I don't know if I would do just that, but definitely when my wife and I return to the UK we will be trying to get down to just the bare essentials. I think that will be hard though, as I know my wife is attached to virtually everything as it's our first home together.

Good luck.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

christy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your input. I am in the middle of trying to sell as much as I can and want to take only a few pieces of furniture and the small things I want to keep. It is tough letting go of so many things that my husband and I shared but it gets easier with each item I part with. I know that they are only things and the real memories will linger in my heart forever.

Christy
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christy5
Thanks for all your input. I am in the middle of trying to sell as much as I can and want to take only a few pieces of furniture and the small things I want to keep. It is tough letting go of so many things that my husband and I shared but it gets easier with each item I part with. I know that they are only things and the real memories will linger in my heart forever.

Christy
This must be such a tough time for you. Wanted to wish you a happier and peaceful future. I would keep just the precious things and to heck with the rest.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christy5

Christy
Christy,

I apologise for my post. I re-read your and then mine and my post to me sounds insensitive.

I apologise for that and it wasn't my intention to come across that way. I can only imagine what a difficult process deciding on what to keep is for you.

My post was just in a general sense of moving back and I didn't take enough time to read and absorb what you had written.

My best wishes and good luck.