Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Live in the UK but employed in the US?

Live in the UK but employed in the US?

Old Apr 13th 2018, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

tusitala is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Live in the UK but employed in the US?

I was planning to retire to back Scotland from the US but now my employer is asking me if I would be interested in working remotely for a limited period. possibly a year or longer

I think I can keep everything almost the same as my employer has no experience with anything remotely like this

Continue to pay Salary into my US account with US Federal taxes, social security and Medicare deducted (No state tax in Washington State)

Declare the foreign income (and tax) on UK tax return plus pay possible UK national insurance (?)

Possibly drop employer medical coverage depending on remaining affordable care act requirements (?)

Write offs for home office expenses, broadband etc. are probably not worth the effort

Delay starting my US social Security until I am no longer earning

I am a dual citizen (UK/US) ,have lived in the US since 1979 and will be 62 when we get to Scotland

Anyone think of any problems with this or have any suggestions?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live in the UK but employed in the US?

Investigate Self-employment and pay National Insurance on that basis.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tusitala
I was planning to retire to back Scotland from the US but now my employer is asking me if I would be interested in working remotely for a limited period. possibly a year or longer

I think I can keep everything almost the same as my employer has no experience with anything remotely like this

Continue to pay Salary into my US account with US Federal taxes, social security and Medicare deducted (No state tax in Washington State)

Declare the foreign income (and tax) on UK tax return plus pay possible UK national insurance (?)

Possibly drop employer medical coverage depending on remaining affordable care act requirements (?)

Write offs for home office expenses, broadband etc. are probably not worth the effort

Delay starting my US social Security until I am no longer earning

I am a dual citizen (UK/US) ,have lived in the US since 1979 and will be 62 when we get to Scotland

Anyone think of any problems with this or have any suggestions?

Just to say my husband still works remotely for the company he worked for overseas. He went as a contractor so bills them each month. They pay his wages as it is into his UK business account, he then pays tax and NI here as this is where hes resident.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't an issue, but would advise you to get an accountant involved to help you manage tax and NI. I have worked overseas and paid in dollars into an off shore account and most of my friends do / have. Just needs some help with accounts.