Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping costs Canada to UK

Shipping costs Canada to UK

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Returning to UK from Canada (Shipping)

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Just to update I got the quote from Tippet today and it was $7,600.00 so I asked MI if they could match it and to my surprise they did. So we'll be using MI

that sounds good...
so did they come around and actually say you needed a 20ft container, only i'm trying to sell everything except china/personals etc...Do they tell the customers what size cubic foot/or 20ftcontainer they will need?

Did your quote include lrg pieces like; sofas/beds/ as i'm not sure I will be bringing that stuff?? Just trying to get an idea of what to keep...and trying to keep the $price$ down.

Any info will be great...cheers and good luck
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
that sounds good...
so did they come around and actually say you needed a 20ft container, only i'm trying to sell everything except china/personals etc...Do they tell the customers what size cubic foot/or 20ftcontainer they will need?

Did your quote include lrg pieces like; sofas/beds/ as i'm not sure I will be bringing that stuff?? Just trying to get an idea of what to keep...and trying to keep the $price$ down.

Any info will be great...cheers and good luck
In the initial email quote I asked what the price would be for a 20ft container for the contents of a 2 bedroom house and they quoted around 10 grand. Then they came to our place and we told them what we would be taking I think they estimated that it would be around 650 cubic feet of stuff. We are taking a few larger items a sofa bed, a hutch, 2 chests of drawers, wardrobe and a single bed.

They will be here on Tuesday to pack everything so I've only got 2 more nights in this house and then me and the kids will be staying in a hotel (paid for with airmiles)until we fly home next Sunday. The shippers tell me our stuff should arrive in NI on June 23rd.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

In the initial email quote I asked what the price would be for a 20ft container for the contents of a 2 bedroom house and they quoted around 10 grand. Then they came to our place and we told them what we would be taking I think they estimated that it would be around 650 cubic feet of stuff. We are taking a few larger items a sofa bed, a hutch, 2 chests of drawers, wardrobe and a single bed.

They will be here on Tuesday to pack everything so I've only got 2 more nights in this house and then me and the kids will be staying in a hotel (paid for with airmiles)until we fly home next Sunday. The shippers tell me our stuff should arrive in NI on June 23rd.
I can't believe you are soooo close to being home....that's great...I bet you are full of butterflies...

We hope it will happen soon for us too...
thanks for your info...I will have a few big items too..I can't imagine how many smaller boxes I will have?

Have a great flight...let us know how it goes!!! what part of Toronto 'were' u from??
I still find it so hard to imagine trying to sell the house, the car, getting to the airport without a car and...with 3 kids in tow...I guess its being done all the time, isn't it!.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you are soooo close to being home....that's great...I bet you are full of butterflies...

We hope it will happen soon for us too...
thanks for your info...I will have a few big items too..I can't imagine how many smaller boxes I will have?

Have a great flight...let us know how it goes!!! what part of Toronto 'were' u from??
I still find it so hard to imagine trying to sell the house, the car, getting to the airport without a car and...with 3 kids in tow...I guess its being done all the time, isn't it!.
I live in the Main/Danforth area at the minute.

You'll be amazed how everything comes together and before you know it you'll have booked the flight home.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I live in the Main/Danforth area at the minute.

You'll be amazed how everything comes together and before you know it you'll have booked the flight home.

Thanks for the reassurance, let's hope its that smooth...

I'm just scared of the unknown..,renting in the UK, and where??? my mind is spinning(can u tell)...and we haven't even got the house on the market yet.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the reassurance, let's hope its that smooth...

I'm just scared of the unknown..,renting in the UK, and where??? my mind is spinning(can u tell)...and we haven't even got the house on the market yet.
I've been so focused on leaving that I haven't really thought about what happen when I arrive I think the most stressful bit was getting the house ready to sell and then having to keep it clean and tidy for viewings. After that everything else wasn't too bad just lots of phone calls. Stay positive and take one thing at a time
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:16 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs Canada to UK

Slightly different, but I was reading something about departure tax from Canada? A lot of things are excluded, but it sounds scary.

Anyone know anything about it?

Bev
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've been so focused on leaving that I haven't really thought about what happen when I arrive I think the most stressful bit was getting the house ready to sell and then having to keep it clean and tidy for viewings. After that everything else wasn't too bad just lots of phone calls. Stay positive and take one thing at a time
I hope you have someone picking u up from the airport?? omgosh girl no house sorted, I assume, your family is helping out then?......We have 5 in the family, so finding a rental is what we have to look into vs staying with family...(we couldn't all fit) LOL

The count down begins for u......tic toc...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hope you have someone picking u up from the airport?? omgosh girl no house sorted, I assume, your family is helping out then?......We have 5 in the family, so finding a rental is what we have to look into vs staying with family...(we couldn't all fit) LOL

The count down begins for u......tic toc...
Luckily we'll be staying with my mum and dad for the first few weeks and it will be just me and the 2 kids as my OH is "on tour" at the moment. He won't get a break until August, (since May 14th I've only seen him for 4 days in June.)
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:14 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyC
Hi, we are now moving back to UK for second time around. Government won't let us extend visa any more so back we go. Have a house and business registered in Canada but family is a big pull and we are starting new (again!) in Scotland.

Anybody know of any good shipping companies in Toronto to ship to Scotland or Liverpool? It would only be a cubic metre, nothing big. Looking for a decent or reliable shipping company is a bit tricky in Toronto.

Thanks for any advice. Sandy
So, okay, I'm a bit late joining this one......but having just moved back to the UK last week, this caught my eye. Are you sure you are shipping ONE cubic metre? In my experience (and I have done this pond-hop four times)most shipping companies won't quote on anything less than around 50 cubic metres. We had even been told by some in the London, Ontario and Toronto regions, they wouldn't touch us because we weren't shipping a full house! Tippett-Richardson got the volume wildly wrong, despite two visits to the house, so we settled on Global International.......$3400 for 300 cu feet.

My whole life just lately seems wrapped up in getting quotes for this, that and t'other......at the moment it's bloody car insurance as we've just bought one of those this afternoon. I'm so glad to be back, but I just want to curl up in a corner for a while and have a sleep!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Slightly different, but I was reading something about departure tax from Canada? A lot of things are excluded, but it sounds scary.

Anyone know anything about it?

Bev
The only time I heard about this was on a thread by the manghams. If you leave Canada without having sold your house first, but you then sell it later on, then the lawyers can withold a certain amount on money till the 'tax on the profit on the house' can be sorted out. Sorry - that is not at all the technical term but that's roughly what I understood it to mean. I guess if you sell your house before you go, then all monies are sorted out on completion. And also I guess if you have not made a profit anyway, they can't tax you on it!!

And I heard something about sales tax if you are selling off your second-hand cars - but again - this is just bits I've picked up along the way, then not paid enough attention to !

Try the main Canada forum too - one of the accountants or lawyers might pop up and clarify things for you.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
The only time I heard about this was on a thread by the manghams. If you leave Canada without having sold your house first, but you then sell it later on, then the lawyers can withold a certain amount on money till the 'tax on the profit on the house' can be sorted out. Sorry - that is not at all the technical term but that's roughly what I understood it to mean. I guess if you sell your house before you go, then all monies are sorted out on completion. And also I guess if you have not made a profit anyway, they can't tax you on it!!

And I heard something about sales tax if you are selling off your second-hand cars - but again - this is just bits I've picked up along the way, then not paid enough attention to !

Try the main Canada forum too - one of the accountants or lawyers might pop up and clarify things for you.
It's Capital Gains tax you're thinking of......if you sell your house after leaving Canada you're liable to be stung for it. Also, if you don't meet the residency requirements, even if you sell before you leave, you may be liable........you have to have lived in Canada for 183 days in the tax year in which you leave. As for the tax on cars..........in Ontario every time a car is sold tax has to be paid, and it's not on the selling price.....it's on the book price. We just sold our cars to return here, and both buyers had to stump up the tax on the book price, not the lower price they paid us! It's a disgraceful rip off if you ask me.