To ship or not to ship.

Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To ship or not to ship.

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Well I am definitely shipping my Sleep Number.... its going to be hell waiting for it to arrive - I originally had organized my move so that we would ship our stuff a month before we left, seeing as how we are leaving a lot behind - so sleeping on the couch would just be about bearable. But due to circumstances outside of my control, we don't have that luxury of shipping early, so that means I get to sleep in my nice bed up until three days before we leave - but then don't know what I will be sleeping on for the next 6 weeks - probably an airmatress! Yikes
Bring pleant of bedding, UK sizes are different to US sizes, so a king size in the UK will NOT fit a US king size, likewise a US king size matress will not fit a UK king size bed properly.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Bring pleant of bedding, UK sizes are different to US sizes, so a king size in the UK will NOT fit a US king size, likewise a US king size matress will not fit a UK king size bed properly.
Also the sleep number beds use an electric pump. UK 240 volts....US 120 volts. Therefore a power adaptor/transformer will probably be required. Check with insurance company if this would invalidate your home insurance.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Samali11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading this thread i want to know one thing if taking your LCD and computer to uk by air with you is this a good idea. Do you have to pay any duty on these.?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samali11
I was reading this thread i want to know one thing if taking your LCD and computer to uk by air with you is this a good idea. Do you have to pay any duty on these.?
So long as you have, per the relevant customs rules, owned something for, IIRC, 6 months, there is no duty to pay. ...... In practice it is impossible (for HMC&R) to prove that you have owned something for less than six months, so "household chattels" carried by UK citizens returning from working overseas (or for that matter immigrants arriving to take up residence and/or a job in the UK), are not likely to attract much attention.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So long as you have, per the relevant customs rules, owned something for, IIRC, 6 months, there is no duty to pay. ...... In practice it is impossible (for HMC&R) to prove that you have owned something for less than six months, so "household chattels" carried by UK citizens returning from working overseas (or for that matter immigrants arriving to take up residence and/or a job in the UK), are not likely to attract much attention.
So need to show the receipts when u bought it..that is the only way
Old Apr 18th 2015, 4:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So need to show the receipts when u bought it..that is the only way
If you want to be totally scrupulous, yes. ..... But what do you think I meant when I said " "household chattels" carried by UK citizens returning from working overseas are not likely to attract much attention."?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 4:48 am
Just Joined

If you want to be totally scrupulous, yes. ..... But what do you think I meant when I said " "household chattels" carried by UK citizens returning from working overseas are not likely to attract much attention."?
Pardon my English, so have to Google it..hehe Household chattels means personal property. They will tax everything u have then y not ur personal property movable or not.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 4:56 am

Pardon my English, so have to Google it..hehe Household chattels means personal property. They will tax everything u have then y not ur personal property movable or not.
Household chattels are NOT taxable. So long as you don't have an expensive computer or electronics STILL SEALED IN ITS BOX it is highly unlikely anyone will even question you, much less try to tax you for bringing it into the country with you. ..... In short, relax and stop worrying, you won't have to pay any tax on the things you bring with you when you return home.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Household chattels are NOT taxable. So long as you don't have an expensive computer or electronics STILL SEALED IN ITS BOX it is highly unlikely anyone will even question you, much less try to tax you for bringing it into the country with you. ..... In short, relax and stop worrying, you won't have to pay any tax on the things you bring with you when you return home.
O thank you. its my husband who was worried.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:00 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped a part container and I have often regretted not shipping the lot because the cost of replacing the things I already owned and got very little money for selling as secondhand, has far exceeded what the cost would have been to ship those items. It's worth getting two quotes from the shipper - one with everything and one with the things that you know you want to ship.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Things I wish I had brought with me.
More comfy shoes in styles and colours I like and was used to in the US. I'm having a hard time with shoes and all the walking I do.
Underwear, I love Jockey, you can buy it here from Harrods, not a cat in hells chance I'll buy it from there at £30 a pair. Wish I had stocked up now.
My good pans (needed them to cook and we'd sent our shipping 4 weeks before we left US) I have replaced them with some really nice ones that cost twice the price.
My solid Oak dining table, so lovely and sturdy and could withstand hot cups leaving no marks. I miss that.
The rest of the furniture we sold most with he house and other bits sold and went to friends.