Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paperwork needed to immigrate back to the UK

Paperwork needed to immigrate back to the UK

Old Oct 21st 2017, 3:43 am
Just Joined

junglist82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paperwork needed to immigrate back to the UK

My wife and I are planning on moving back to the UK with our two kids.

I'm having difficulty finding the forms that are required for us to fill out. Can someone kindly provide me with this info or a link please?

Thank you so much
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork needed to immigrate back to the UK

Originally Posted by junglist82
My wife and I are planning on moving back to the UK with our two kids.

I'm having difficulty finding the forms that are required for us to fill out. Can someone kindly provide me with this info or a link please?

Thank you so much
Depends on your status really. Are you all British, or do some of you need visas?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends on your status really. Are you all British, or do some of you need visas?
Sorry I should of specified on my initial post.

I'm a British citizen and my wife and kids are Canadian.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If your children are your biological children then they are British and just need UK passports.

For your wife, have a look through http://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/british-citizen-living-abroad-non-eea-spouse-see-thread-basic-information-830478/
Old Oct 21st 2017, 10:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in the UK your children will also be British citizens. You apply for their British passports before you start the immigration process for your wife.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Does your wife have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should read the following websites to see what documents you need to provide for a settlement visa for your wife (I am presuming your children are British citizens and not just Canadians)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

Depending on what category you are applying under the documentation you present is different.

Basically you need to provide documentation to prove you meet the financial requirements; for employment income, payslips, bank statements, employment contract/letter etc; for savings, bank statements, savings accounts statements etc

Proof that you have accommodation to go to in the UK; rental agreement/mortgage, approval from landlord etc

Relationship proof that you have a genuine marriage; marriage certificate, photographs etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should consider getting Canadian citizenship before moving back to the UK if he qualifies for it and not already done so.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Another point for the OP - she may be entitle to an UK Ancestry visa if she got a grandparent born in the UK. The UK Ancestry visa can be an easier alternative to the spouse visa.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all your replies.

Unfortunately, She does not have any grandparents or parents who were born in the UK so she wont be able to apply under the Ancestry Visa.

Sorry, but this whole process seems very confusing to me.

1. Would I have to show my bank statements in Canada or the UK?
2. Do I need to have 16,000 pounds savings as well as a job offer? Or is it one or the other.
3. I've applied for the kids British passports, do I need to do anything else for them?
4. Do you have a link for the application for sponsoring your spouse?

Thank you guys for all your help.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

European-born parents or grandparents could also be useful.

1. Either or both.
2. It's £62,500 and if you have that much you do not need a job offer or show any income.
3. No.
4. https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ You should select Settlement>Settlement>Wife.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your replies.

Unfortunately, She does not have any grandparents or parents who were born in the UK so she wont be able to apply under the Ancestry Visa.

Sorry, but this whole process seems very confusing to me.

1. Would I have to show my bank statements in Canada or the UK?
2. Do I need to have 16,000 pounds savings as well as a job offer? Or is it one or the other.
3. I've applied for the kids British passports, do I need to do anything else for them?
4. Do you have a link for the application for sponsoring your spouse?

Thank you guys for all your help.
Read the first link I gave you. That provides all the information you need in order to determine which category you can qualify under.

What you need to show for financial evidence is determined by which category you apply under; are you going the savings route?, do you now earn 18,600 GBP per annum AND have a job to go to in the UK; will you need to enter the UK and work for 6 months before you can apply for the visa.

Until such time as you know how you will qualify, all the other questions are moot.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

@Sandiegogirl - I was going to apply under earning the 18,600 as I have a job offer in the UK. But would I need to work for 6 months first before I can apply for her visa? That kind of makes things a lot harder as she would need to work while we were living there.

I earn more than 18,600 in Canada once you convert it to British pounds.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

@Sandiegogirl - I was going to apply under earning the 18,600 as I have a job offer in the UK. But would I need to work for 6 months first before I can apply for her visa? That kind of makes things a lot harder as she would need to work while we were living there.

I earn more than 18,600 in Canada once you convert it to British pounds.
You still not have read the link I gave you:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more –
overseas sponsor returning to the UK

If you have a current job earning 18,600GBP AND you have a job offer in the UK earning 18,600 GBP and starting within three months of your return, then you can apply for the visa NOW while still in Canada.

You get the visa and all move over together.