Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Setting up our new flat in Norfolk!!

Setting up our new flat in Norfolk!!

Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up our new flat in Norfolk!!

Originally Posted by robin1234
We are in the process of buying a little new build flat in a small town twelve miles from Norwich. Just heard on Friday that completion is scheduled for Friday 23 January! Seemed excruciatingly slow, because of lengthy Christmas holidays etc. Probably, I'll go over on my own, around 1 Feb, to buy stuff, get the washer and fridge bought and installed, etc. etc. We will probably spend up to half the year there, maybe become UK resident eventually, also hope our son who lives in England will spend some weekends and holidays there..

I'll start out with a couple of practical questions. We were going to get a washer/dryer, but are now thinking of just getting a washer. Main reason is, when staying at holiday rentals, we've always been happy with just a washer, and drying clothes and sheets and towels on a drying rack. Anyone feel that having the washer dryer is especially useful or essential? We are on the second floor, and although there are pleasant grounds by the building, there'll be no outdoor drying opportunities.

TV service, broadband etc. I don't know much about this, having lived in the US since 1991 without TV! Also, living in rural America where there is one choice of supplier for home phone, and maybe three choices for Internet service. Looks much more complex and competitive in England! First off, if I buy one of those smart TVs, do I need to subscribe to TV service from the broadband supplier, or is it either /or? (Our apartment is new build, in a block of ten flats, so there is a connection to an aerial already set up.). I was thinking of doing without home phone, but many of the broadband services seem to be reasonably priced with phone service including free calls evenings and weekends...

I'll leave it at that for now..
Hi, re the dryer, I wouldn't bother with a washer dryer but personally I would want a dryer, otherwise you could have washing hanging around.
If you have the room you could go for a heated airer to dry your washing. They cost from less than 3p ph to run up to 5p per hr depending on size. Or again just the old fashioned airer to hang your clothes on. Its a pain for bedding though although you can dry your duvet over it.
Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most newish apartments in the UK seem to have a combined washer/dryer. At least it solves the space issue.

I don't like drying clothes indoors...the moisture can lead to mould...which can be a health issue.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 11th 2015 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a separate washer and compact dryer with reverse action that helps stop creasing. I haven't ironed for years either! We don't use the dryer a lot (I say we, I mean DH who does all the laundry, lol!) but hang stuff up on hangers to dry (or tights over the kitchen radiator). You can get little washing lines that go across the bath and retract when you aren't using them. We wouldn't have room in our kitchen for a dishwasher as well as a tumble dryer but the dryer is what we prefer. Ours has a hose that goes outside the window.

I don't think you can buy a TV without Freeview in the UK nowadays as it would be useless because the analogue signal has been switched off. We haven't go satellite or cable, just the digital channels and there's plenty to choose from.

Last edited by LondonSquirrel; Jan 12th 2015 at 12:56 pm. Reason: correct error
Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I know this thread is mostly about 'clothes dryer'. Given many houses are not well insulated and dampness, is it useful or necessary in the UK to have a 'dehumidifier'?

Best Sellers Dehumidifiers - Portable Dehumidifiers, Commercial Dehumidifiers, Domestic Dehumidifiers, Dessicant Dehumidifiers. Buy online at DehumidifiersUK.com
Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I know this thread is mostly about 'clothes dryer'. Given many houses are not well insulated and dampness, is it useful or necessary in the UK to have a 'dehumidifier'?

Best Sellers Dehumidifiers - Portable Dehumidifiers, Commercial Dehumidifiers, Domestic Dehumidifiers, Dessicant Dehumidifiers. Buy online at DehumidifiersUK.com
Mark & I have a damp/mould problem in our bedroom and we are planning as soon as we can to get a combined dehumidifier/air purifier, £230 on Amazon. This would kill the mould and stop the damp. Just bought a new cooker as the oven door was broken, this will have to be our next 'project.'

Last edited by LondonSquirrel; Jan 12th 2015 at 2:51 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin, congratulations on your new home, you must be very excited!

We have separate washer and condenser dryer (both our own) and we are quite happy with them. We do line-dry things outside when possible but in Cumbria that can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. From a personal standpoint, I wanted a dryer because I didn't want to be living with a seemingly non-stop string of drying laundry hanging about the place. A condenser dryer may cost you a bit more but depending on how you're fixed in your building you may have to go that route. FWIW I'd by another condenser unit if ours ever needed replacing vs a vented model because you don't have to mess on with venting. We had a combination unit in the house in Scarborough which we hated for same reasons others have mentioned so I also wouldn't recommend one.

Re the smart tv - they will work fine with free-view, satellite package is not required if you don't want it.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 5:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for your useful perspectives. I didn't know where this thread was, so I've only just found it again... Sign of a successful forum, you go away for a few days, and the thread is down on page two or below!!

I'm now sure I'll buy a decent quality washer with good spin speeds, and rely on drying indoors. As someone pointed out, clothes are almost dry after those fast spin speeds, unlike my antediluvian American top loader, when the clothes are literally dripping after the spin when I take them out. There should be a thread about top loaders vs. front loaders... we have the luxury of a second bathroom, with extractor fan, to hang the laundry in.

Completion on the flat purchase is this Friday, I just booked my ticket to fly over to England in two weeks time, February 3. I'll be going for six weeks!

I'm thinking of getting the fridge and washer at the little local electrical retailer, because I think they'll install them the same day or next day if they have them in stock. Furniture and other household bits I'm thinking of relying on Homebase as a first choice.

I hope setting up the furnishings etc. doesn't take up too much time, I'm hoping to get out on the footpaths, there's lots of medieval churches, pubs and tea rooms to visit!
Old Jan 20th 2015, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for your useful perspectives. I didn't know where this thread was, so I've only just found it again... Sign of a successful forum, you go away for a few days, and the thread is down on page two or below!!

I'm now sure I'll buy a decent quality washer with good spin speeds, and rely on drying indoors. As someone pointed out, clothes are almost dry after those fast spin speeds, unlike my antediluvian American top loader, when the clothes are literally dripping after the spin when I take them out. There should be a thread about top loaders vs. front loaders... we have the luxury of a second bathroom, with extractor fan, to hang the laundry in.

Completion on the flat purchase is this Friday, I just booked my ticket to fly over to England in two weeks time, February 3. I'll be going for six weeks!

I'm thinking of getting the fridge and washer at the little local electrical retailer, because I think they'll install them the same day or next day if they have them in stock. Furniture and other household bits I'm thinking of relying on Homebase as a first choice.

I hope setting up the furnishings etc. doesn't take up too much time, I'm hoping to get out on the footpaths, there's lots of medieval churches, pubs and tea rooms to visit!
Argos is good. I bought 2 great leather reclining sofas from there.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 6:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Local is good (support local businesses, often get personal service), but online is often cheaper.

Is there a John Lewis close by? They are also good for appliances and household stuff. Good delivery turnaround, free delivery of large items, often an enhanced guarantee (1 year more than the manufacturer), great customer service and good ethical company.

I bought my tumble dryer from John Lewis, cheaper than other online retailers. Delivered it promptly, unwrapped and installed, took away the box and wrapping.

ETA: Just checked and they have a branch in Norwich. I bet they deliver to where you live. John Lewis delivers to where I live 10 miles from their branch in Glasgow.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Setting up our new flat in Norfolk!!

Congratulations on getting the keys to your new English 'pied-a-terre'!

Here's a couple of ideas:

Are you a member of Costco? Your Costco card can be used at any of their warehouses worldwide. I should think the nearest location to Norfolk would be their Leicester warehouse; however you can order goods online and for appliances Costco can deliver and install. The 5% which is added to the invoice online for non-UK Costco card holders will be refunded to you. The inventory is a tad limited though.

Costco UK - Washing & Drying

Costco UK - TVs, Appliances, Toys, Sheds, Furniture, Food, Wine & More! (Home page)

A great place to do research is on the Appliances Online website; they have a huge inventory with reviews from customers and videos; they will deliver and install anywhere in the UK. They will price-match with Currys, John Lewis, Co-Op etc. (although if the price is similar to that of John Lewis I would order from JL instead). You could print off the specs for any machine you like and see if your 'local' retailer can match the price?

I bought my daughter an appliance from AO with a non-UK credit card billing address and was very pleased with how quickly it was installed (within 36 hours....you can have it more quickly if you choose next-day delivery).

Washing Machines & Dryers – Free Delivery 7 Days A Week

Btw; they have a 'premium' range with various price points eg. Bosch and Miele which are naturally more expensive but the quality is much better and they should last a few years longer than the usual Hotpoints/Whirlpool/Zanussi machines; we had a Bosch washing machine in Singapore and it was very, very good.

However at our rental apartment in Switzerland there is a Miele washing machine with a Miele condenser dryer stacked on top of it (oddly enough in our en-suite bathroom and our apartment isn't very old....I guess most of the plumbing is in the bathroom though and we noticed that many new apartments in Switzerland have the w/m and dryers in the master bathroom!). Both machines in my experience have been whisper-quiet...but the Miele is the best washing machine I've ever used - it's the Rolls Royce of washing machines lol! (there are strict laws here about noise between 10pm and 7am and on Sundays....our neighbours below us never hear our washing machine and vice-versa as they have the same appliances). Miele washing machines also have a 'water stop' feature - if they detect a leak the machine will cut off the water supply (so you won't flood the floor....or neighbours if you have any resident underneath your flat!).

Btw; I have noticed very little difference between the wetness of items after being spun at 1400 rpm compared to 1600 rpm.

We were at our house in New Jersey over Christmas and I have a horrible old GE top loading washing machine in the basement.....it's dreadful and uses so much water! I also think that the American detergents aren't as good at cleaning as the European ones....I always use liquid detergent but my favourite is Ariel and I prefer 'Comfort' Pure (it's white with a baby on the label) fabric conditioner
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Congratulations on getting the keys to your new English 'pied-a-terre'!

Here's a couple of ideas:

Are you a member of Costco? Your Costco card can be used at any of their warehouses worldwide. I should think the nearest location to Norfolk would be their Leicester warehouse; however you can order goods online and for appliances Costco can deliver and install. The 5% which is added to the invoice online for non-UK Costco card holders will be refunded to you. The inventory is a tad limited though.

Costco UK - Washing & Drying

Costco UK - TVs, Appliances, Toys, Sheds, Furniture, Food, Wine & More! (Home page)

A great place to do research is on the Appliances Online website; they have a huge inventory with reviews from customers and videos; they will deliver and install anywhere in the UK. They will price-match with Currys, John Lewis, Co-Op etc. (although if the price is similar to that of John Lewis I would order from JL instead). You could print off the specs for any machine you like and see if your 'local' retailer can match the price?

I bought my daughter an appliance from AO with a non-UK credit card billing address and was very pleased with how quickly it was installed (within 36 hours....you can have it more quickly if you choose next-day delivery).

Washing Machines & Dryers – Free Delivery 7 Days A Week

Btw; they have a 'premium' range with various price points eg. Bosch and Miele which are naturally more expensive but the quality is much better and they should last a few years longer than the usual Hotpoints/Whirlpool/Zanussi machines; we had a Bosch washing machine in Singapore and it was very, very good.

However at our rental apartment in Switzerland there is a Miele washing machine with a Miele condenser dryer stacked on top of it (oddly enough in our en-suite bathroom and our apartment isn't very old....I guess most of the plumbing is in the bathroom though and we noticed that many new apartments in Switzerland have the w/m and dryers in the master bathroom!). Both machines in my experience have been whisper-quiet...but the Miele is the best washing machine I've ever used - it's the Rolls Royce of washing machines lol! (there are strict laws here about noise between 10pm and 7am and on Sundays....our neighbours below us never hear our washing machine and vice-versa as they have the same appliances). Miele washing machines also have a 'water stop' feature - if they detect a leak the machine will cut off the water supply (so you won't flood the floor....or neighbours if you have any resident underneath your flat!).

Btw; I have noticed very little difference between the wetness of items after being spun at 1400 rpm compared to 1600 rpm.

We were at our house in New Jersey over Christmas and I have a horrible old GE top loading washing machine in the basement.....it's dreadful and uses so much water! I also think that the American detergents aren't as good at cleaning as the European ones....I always use liquid detergent but my favourite is Ariel and I prefer 'Comfort' Pure (it's white with a baby on the label) fabric conditioner
+1 on the AO site, especially the videos. I shamelessly did my research on AO then when I realised John Lewis was cheaper, ordered from them.

I found seeing the appliances "live" on the videos was really helpful in getting a better feel for the strengths and weaknesses and seeing what they look like. Plus the presenters are easy on the eye.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Setting up our new flat in Norfolk!!

Originally Posted by dunroving
+1 on the AO site, especially the videos. I shamelessly did my research on AO then when I realised John Lewis was cheaper, ordered from them.

I found seeing the appliances "live" on the videos was really helpful in getting a better feel for the strengths and weaknesses and seeing what they look like. Plus the presenters are easy on the eye.
Ha ha ha.....strange that there don't seem to be any hot guys presenting the merits of the appliances!

Yes, the videos are impressive; if you are in the showroom of an appliance store it is difficult to envision the pros and cons of the features of the machines and the showroom staff (mostly men it seems) rarely seem to know much about them either....
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Local is good (support local businesses, often get personal service), but online is often cheaper.

Is there a John Lewis close by? They are also good for appliances and household stuff. Good delivery turnaround, free delivery of large items, often an enhanced guarantee (1 year more than the manufacturer), great customer service and good ethical company.

I bought my tumble dryer from John Lewis, cheaper than other online retailers. Delivered it promptly, unwrapped and installed, took away the box and wrapping.

ETA: Just checked and they have a branch in Norwich. I bet they deliver to where you live. John Lewis delivers to where I live 10 miles from their branch in Glasgow.
John Lewis in Norwich is in the town centre, we use them there and also in Peterborough. Here near Kings Lynn we are about midway tween the two but Norwich has better Pubs

J Lewis also often offer extended guarantee for free over what other stores provide
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Something to consider when buying your appliances ....

The small independent local dealer may very well be your best bet even if they are a little more expensive. Over the last few years appliance sales has become an extremely competitive even cut-throat business and a good small independent retailer will tend to go the extra mile to compete. If you find someone who services what they sell so much the better.

My family ran a small Maytag dealership in the town where we lived in Canada for many years. I worked in the family business myself for several years and we always did what we could (within reason of course) to keep our customers happy and loyal. We heard of many not so happy experiences from people who had shopped with the "big boys" and been let down and "hung out to dry" (pun intended) after the sale was final. You could say I'm biased but we bought our fridge and washer from a small local family owned business when we moved here and we've been very happy.

We have an LG washing machine that will spin up to 1200 rpm and that spins the water out really well but you can get models that will spin to 1400 or 1600 rpm if you want.

I notice Homebase is offering 25% off furniture purchases over £150 at the moment. Happy shopping!

Last edited by curleytops; Jan 20th 2015 at 10:37 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to be buying a few appliances, it might be worth getting sorted with a free trial with 'Which' (unless you are already a subscriber)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.