Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending ex-pat kid to UK university

Sending ex-pat kid to UK university

Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending ex-pat kid to UK university

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Key word used in my post - local. Local to me, means ability to live at home. There is one college an hour away, but is so oversubscribed, there isn't even a wait list.

So for her to live away from home, she may as well choose somewhere she finds more desirable, as it will cost her extra thousands in accommodation, .....
..... And extra thousands in tuition as she is an international student. At least now we understand the situation, she does qualify for domestic tuition, just not in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 6:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... And extra thousands in tuition as she is an international student. At least now we understand the situation, she does qualify for domestic tuition, just not in the UK.
I don't think I ever said she didn't qualify for domestic tuition, she just has to decide how many thousands is acceptable to spend on a one or two year diploma, I'm trying to convince her to stay in Canada for study but she wants to spread her wings, hence the travel 1st.

It's a confusing time for us all as right now, we don't know where home will be in the next few years, and we could possibly move whilst she is doing her traveling. To be honest her education fees are the least of our worries.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

mandevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope no-one minds me gate crashing here ... I'm in the throws of planning a move back to UK ...my Grand-daughter is 16 ... her Mum is British, she wants to move with me en the time comes ...will this make her a resident ... or will she still have to live there for three years before she can go to college and not be treated as a foreign student.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandevilla
Hope no-one minds me gate crashing here ... I'm in the throws of planning a move back to UK ...my Grand-daughter is 16 ... her Mum is British, she wants to move with me en the time comes ...will this make her a resident ... or will she still have to live there for three years before she can go to college and not be treated as a foreign student.
It doesn't matter if you are British born and bred, if you haven't been "resident" in the UK for three years, you are potentially liable for student fees at the foreign student rate. A few unis are apparently "flexible", but it sounds like your granddaughter was born in Canada, has never lived in Britain, and (at best) is British by descent, so the rules would have to be flexed a mighty long way to accommodate your granddaughter.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2015 at 11:29 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:08 am
Just Joined

mandevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you... I appreciate it! It will still probably work out cheaper than college in the US.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

She won't have to pay tuition fees to attend a further education college or sixth form, which is presumably where she would go at 16. Children resident in the UK are entitled to free education. It's when the student applies to university that the domestic/international problem and eligibility based on years of residence kicks in.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by petrichor
She won't have to pay tuition fees to attend a further education college or sixth form, which is presumably where she would go at 16. Children resident in the UK are entitled to free education. It's when the student applies to university that the domestic/international problem and eligibility based on years of residence kicks in.
But she is 16, and not moved yet, so would likely (aim to) move next summer, which would mean only one year of free school/ college, and a further two year wait for "domestic tuition" for uni.

As an aside, moving between education systems at age 17, with one year before most people would start uni, is a very bad idea. IMO it would be far preferable for her to complete school in the school system she is already in as that is likely to get her the best entry qualifications. If she moves at 17 she is likely to spend at least one additional year gaining qualifications to enable her to enter uni.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to live in Britain for three years prior to University so as not to be a foreign student.
She could move now, move in with you, do two years of sixth form and then a gap year in Britain (or three years of sixth form if she has trouble adjusting). Or even two years of sixth form and then VSO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunt...rvice_Overseas
(Might need to check that doing VSO counts as being Britain if leaving from Britain, but I think it does).
Old Nov 16th 2015, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Hope no-one minds me gate crashing here ... I'm in the throws of planning a move back to UK ...my Grand-daughter is 16 ... her Mum is British, she wants to move with me en the time comes ...
Does your granddaughter have British citizenship??
I assume you have British citizenship?
Where were your daughter and granddaughter born?

Last edited by formula; Nov 16th 2015 at 11:53 am.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

VSO is not often nowadays an option for school-leavers. That is how it WAS in the 1960s. Now most VSOs are professionally qualified with work experience.
There is another programme (ICS) which is now run by VSO but I think competition to get in is fierce.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
She needs to live in Britain for three years prior to University so as not to be a foreign student.She could move now, move in with you, do two years of sixth form and then a gap year in Britain (or three years of sixth form if she has trouble adjusting). Or even two years of sixth form and then VSO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunt...rvice_Overseas(Might need to check that doing VSO counts as being Britain if leaving from Britain, but I think it does).
As I have previously posted our two sons spent nearly 14 years overseas and when applying for Uni both were granted home status, our eldest was granted this while living in Australia and our youngest after only 2 years of living in the U.K.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
VSO is not often nowadays an option for school-leavers. That is how it WAS in the 1960s. Now most VSOs are professionally qualified with work experience.
There is another programme (ICS) which is now run by VSO but I think competition to get in is fierce.
There are other organisations which place volunteers at this age. I did a year with 'Project Trust', and I'm fairly sure they are still going.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilh70
Permanent Residency status. But again, not like she had much choice in the matter and I did originally move for work.....
Before she leaves, she may want to ensure she naturalises as a Canadian citizen. That leaves doors open for her to come back to Canada in the future if she so desires. There's no downside to having dual Canadian/UK citizenship.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit
...... There's no downside to having dual Canadian/UK citizenship.
Having to swear allegiance to the Canadian head of state? .... Oh! Never mind.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Having to swear allegiance to the Canadian head of state? .... Oh! Never mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.