Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Selling house in Germany. Any tax to pay in UK?

Selling house in Germany. Any tax to pay in UK?

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Andytaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling house in Germany. Any tax to pay in UK?

Hi All,

Hope your all well!!

I am in the process of selling my house in Germany as I have moved back to the UK.

I know that I will not have to pay capital gains tax in Germany as I was in the property for over 10 years.

However, my question is as follows:

Do I need to pay any tax in the UK when I bring in the money from the sale? Or in other words - will I lose any money when I bring the money into the UK (apart from transfer fees)?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Andy
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling house in Germany. Any tax to pay in UK?

The relevant law is contained in the taxation convention between UK and Germany: .

A quick read of it suggests that you pay in Germany, but not in the UK (article 13 read with article 6).
Old Nov 25th 2015, 2:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling house in Germany. Any tax to pay in UK?

The are two parts to your question: the sale, and the movement of the money. I don't believe the sale is taxable in the UK so long as it was your home (others may have more specific advice), but the movement of money does not attract tax either moving it out of Germany or into the UK.

If you give it to, or receive it from, someone else, then the answer may be different, but if you are sending the money between your own accounts, the movement of money is simply not taxed. Full stop.