Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People gut them, extend out the back and into the roofspace - that's what they were trying to persuade us to do and there does seem to be a nice community feel around there.
I need to take a scoping trip round there, maybe in the summer. Like many cities, it seems (not sure if my perception is correct) like you can walk a couple of streets and go from "pretty rough" to "nouveau chic".

I will likely live outside Brum when I retire but have not completely closed my mind to the possibility of living in the city. Over the years I have revisited Birmingham and driven around Selly Park (where I lived from 3-11 yrs of age), Stirchley (where I went to infants school), Northfield (where I went to primary school), Bournville (where I went to secondary school) and Kings Norton (where my uncle lives).

There is quite a lot of variation between some of these places. My uncle lives next to the railway in Kings Norton and complains of the local neds hanging around the local corner and making noise, throwing rubbish into his garden.

I suppose that's something that applies to everyone trying to figure out where to live in the UK - in many areas of the country there are bad and good within a stone's throw of each other.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I need to take a scoping trip round there, maybe in the summer. Like many cities, it seems (not sure if my perception is correct) like you can walk a couple of streets and go from "pretty rough" to "nouveau chic".

I will likely live outside Brum when I retire but have not completely closed my mind to the possibility of living in the city. Over the years I have revisited Birmingham and driven around Selly Park (where I lived from 3-11 yrs of age), Stirchley (where I went to infants school), Northfield (where I went to primary school), Bournville (where I went to secondary school) and Kings Norton (where my uncle lives).

There is quite a lot of variation between some of these places. My uncle lives next to the railway in Kings Norton and complains of the local neds hanging around the local corner and making noise, throwing rubbish into his garden.

I suppose that's something that applies to everyone trying to figure out where to live in the UK - in many areas of the country there are bad and good within a stone's throw of each other.
Yes that's true, and I'm still feeling my way around the subtleties of the areas. The good side of that equation is that there aren't massive no-go areas. But yes, Kings Norton is a game of two halves type of place I think.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:35 am
Just Joined

rtillsley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bnet36
OP we are pretty much looking at the same areas. From my research Oxford is the most expensive although it gets cheaper as you venture further away from the city centre.

Cambridge is lovely I lived there for 5 years. Chelmsford is alright. Stevenage is great for London commuting but had become expensive when we left, that was our train route.
Let me know how you go.

Sounds like you have a better grasp on it than I do! Cambridge seems to be much harder to travel to London via public transport (for tourism rather than work). Is that right?

Apart from rental price, is there any reason to prefer Oxford or Cambridge?

Cheers

Robert
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:40 am
Just Joined

We were talking to someone who's moved here (Birmingham) from Oxford, and he said it's much sunnier there.
I found a nice map that shows the amount of sunlight across the UK. http://www.contemporaryenergy.co.uk/solarmap.htm

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's just really grotty, run down and not industrial. Not a nice town at all imo, and you certainly don't need to go to such a big town to get the things you've mentioned - we have all of the above in my tiny village! 3 pubs and 2 cafes in fact, plus high speed broadband.

I should caveat this by saying that I'm not a town kind of girl, so I'd never choose to live in a town or city anyway, and would always go with the countryside. But if I were to choose a city/town, then some of your other choices (Oxford, Cambridge) would come far above Reading for me. I lived in Oxford as a student and it's a fantastic place.

If you want the Reading area but not a village, then I'd look at somewhere like Wokingham or Twyford. Great train links in to London (high speed train from Twyford to Paddington, 25 minutes, my husband gets it), amazing schools for your primary school child (as before, some of the best in the country are in Wokingham borough), and you'd have beautiful countryside around you. Not as cheap as Reading though, but as with everything, you get what you pay for!

HTH, good luck and if you do decide on the Reading area and want to narrow things down a bit, feel free to ask. I only really know the south side of Reading, but happy to help if I can.
Thanks for all the info!

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not sure - but it is relatively easy via Wikipedia to see long-term climate data on various cities and areas in the UK.

Certainly, compared to Glasgow (where I am) it is a lot warmer!
I find that easy to believe. If it wasn't for the weather, I would have loved to consider Scotland.

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I wouldn't take any notice of the rubbish about south London. Just consider that Richmond, Putney, Wimbledon and Dulwich are in South London. I think for your rent budget you would get a 2 bed flat in Crystal Palace but I don't know how many children you have and if you need 3 beds. Personally I would neouver consider living in North London, some areas there sound quite dangerous like Tottenham. If I had to go North of the river it would be way north into Hertz or Cambridgeshire or even Grantham Lincolnshire where my mum lives which is on the fast train line to Kings Cross. Fastest train is exactly one hour and for the same cost as my one bed flat in Crystal Palace you can get a detached 3 bed house.
Just the one munchkin at this point in time. Seems everyone has biases. Thanks for lots of good info! My general knowledge of London comes from a BBC Jane Austin miniseries...

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Some lovely places in Hertfordshire, it's not too far from London either, you are looking at around an hour-ish depending which town. Easy access into London using the train and house prices aren't too pricey. It also has some of the best schools on the skirt of London.
Thanks.

Looking at that area. Seems that Luton would be good for easy access to London via rail. Is Luton nice?

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I lived in Chelmsford for a couple of years in the early 90's - man that place was dull then - the County Town of Essex but it didn't even have a cinema at the time. I do remember some hideous nightclub (Dukes?), but otherwise it was a place to leave at the weekends. That said, I did hear they had revamped it a lot over the last 10-15 years.
I'm not Mr party, but I like cafes, festivals etc.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Yes it was a dull place but they've revamped it enormously and apparently it's got some better clubs now too. For families I reckon it's not bad at all and the schools have a good reputation.

I left the area in 1980 and didn't go back into the town centre until recently. Outdoor dining? I thought I was hallucinating
Hehehe. I'm rather used to that in Sydney. I like walking to restaurants/cafes.

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rtillsley
Is it colder in the midlands?
I can say from experience that when I go to my mum's in Grantham, it always feels a couple of degrees colder than London (Farenheit).
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:25 am
Just Joined

I'd really appreciate anyone's knowledge on this spot: St.albans, Hertfordshire

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really appreciate anyone's knowledge on this spot: St.albans, Hertfordshire

Cheers
Absolutely lovely, but extremely expensive.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Absolutely lovely, but extremely expensive.
Thanks. I'm guessing it's expensive because of its closeness to London. Importantly, there seem to be cafes!

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'm guessing it's expensive because of its closeness to London. Importantly, there seem to be cafes!

Cheers
Not really, Steveage is just as close. It's because St Albans is desirable I guess, because of its oldness, being Roman etc. It's just one of those really popular places to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.