Reload this Page >

Securing a job in the UK before you move back from overseas

Securing a job in the UK before you move back from overseas

Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Louise Hedley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Securing a job in the UK before you move back from overseas

Hi All
Wonder if anyone can shed any light on the above question.
My hubby and I have been living in Ottawa for nearly 15 years and now want to move back.
Has anyone ever managed to secure a new position in the UK after applying from abroad? My husband is an Embedded Software Engineer with many years experience but is now a young looking 57 year old - what are the chances?

If this is a no go then we will have to wait until we move in a couple of years and then hope to get employment.
Thanks for your help.
Louise
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Securing a job in the UK before you move back from overseas

I have asked this question before and didn't get anyone who had gone this route.

You can only try. I am hoping that I can manage to secure something but I feel the odds are against me being in the U.S.

Being in IT your husband may have a good chance.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your husband is prepared to "spoof" a UK address using a PO box at Mailboxes, Etc (use the street address of a MBE, and then "Flat No xxx", so that it is not obvious that it is a mailbox, ..... doing this is much more common than you might realise), and obtain a British VoIP phone that rings to his cell phone, I suspect the chances of him securing a job from outside the UK are slim to none. Using the two tricks above, he will have a CV that on the face of it looks like he is in the UK, so might get some attention and not get thrown in the bin, as most applications from overseas are.

That just leaves three problems: what does he do if called to a face-to-face interview next week? When he gets to the interview, what does he say about his current job if asked about the arguably deceptive CV? And how does he manage to repatriate himself if asked to start work one month later?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:49 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

My DD who left NZ yesterday hasn't managed to secure a job, but does have 2 interviews arranged for the day after she arrives (Monday UK time) and she does not have a specific skill set as such, as is young.

She did, however, have a UK address and landline as she will be staying with my mother and I think this helped. She also only started applying in the last week although her flight has been booked for longer, and so would be available within a reasonable time scale to attend the interviews.

I think it also depends on your occupation. I am a UK trained registered nurse and anticipate securing a role before I return, but I think healthcare is very different to IT in which my DH works.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 6:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I believe post#3 gave the reality check.

To add, should he alone move back to try to get work & do the settlement, then you follow - likely unless he has specific skills or can go 'consultant', it be tough for him going up against someone just as qualified who is much younger.

I am a retired Electrical Engineer in my late 60's, that has seen this happen in the UK as well as in Canada & other countries, where an employer is going to look not only at the candidates ability, also 'how long is this person going to be around'

I would suggest to get an idea, that he starts looking on line for consulting or contract work.

Three years from now he'll be 60 & as you may be aware folks in their 60's resident in the UK qualify for certain benefits.

Its all up to you both doing what you have to do & the reasons for moving back

Good luck to you both

EDIT: from a google search

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/adv...tion_within=20

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/job/softwar...ract-952761429

http://www.astutejobs.co.uk/electron...FGPA-platform/

Last edited by not2old; Feb 8th 2015 at 6:37 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for and successfully telephone interviewed for my current job before I moved back. I would echo other comments that you'll need at least a UK address and phone number to get past the auto-sifting software. I would also emphasise your right to live and work in the UK in any covering letter you attach. Many employers will conduct interviews by phone or Skype.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

I was also wondering about this, I was planning on using my parent's address and home phone for contact although not sure where to go from there. I have a trip planned in May so hoping if I get any responses to interview while I'm over there (finger crossed!). I know companies over here (USA) conduct Skype interviews so you hope a decent number of employers would be open to it in the UK.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBJR07
I know companies over here (USA) conduct Skype interviews so you hope a decent number of employers would be open to it in the UK.
This is one area the US is ahead of the game. We do Skype interviews here (US) all the time. Sometimes with candidates out of state but within the country.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
This is one area the US is ahead of the game. We do Skype interviews here (US) all the time. Sometimes with candidates out of state but within the country.
Most applications we get from out of state, or more than a hundred miles away are mostly ignored by my employer IME unless the applicant is pretty special.

I managed to get an acquaintance an interview (and ultimately a job) directly lobbying hiring mangers on his behalf, because although he lived two states away his wife already worked in the area and he was trying to find a job that would enable him to live with his wife!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2015 at 3:09 am.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
....because although he lived two states away his wife already worked in the area and he was trying to find a job that would enable him to live with his wife!
This is not the first time I have heard of such arrangements. I know of a couple, wife live in GA and husband in DC. Wife is almosted vested at current job so she is waiting for that to happen... It's been 2 and a half years, one more to go.

With the remote recruiting, I suspect it varies by industry and then by company, that is why I thought I.T for the OP may be different. That sector has a more global mobile workforce. OH's buddy was hired by a California I.T firm from GA remotely, he is there now.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
No different elsewhere and depends on company and how many candidates they already have. I was living in UK and applied for a job in Ireland and interview was through Skype.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Louise Hedley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Thanks all for your input re my question.
I guess there is no harm in applying and asking for a telephone interview initially and seeing how it goes from there. OH could always move back first and I could follow.

'Never too Old' - not sure what you mean by certain benefits are available when you reach 60 and are resident in the UK????

Louise