Scared To Go Home.

Old May 3rd 2011, 10:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared To Go Home.

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I looked at that website but without appearing negative me without job status verses those with jobs plus professional type jobs i just feel like im at a job interview with a thousand applicants i know thats negative of me and what with the photo gallery it looks more like a dating site

Thanks
Yes but you will find lots are more interested in an "older person" than a 20 year old.

If you say in your ad you can pay up front then I don't see any problems.

For the record I had no photo up as I didn't want to appear on a dating site too LOL!!
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck....home your move home goes well!!!
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Hi Panhandle,

it sounds like it is time for a major change for you .

- In Shropshire there is still work as carer / support staff in Disability Services and I assume London will be similar. The role often involves supporting people with learning disabilities to access the community , to do cooking . banking etc and wouldn't mean physical lifting.

Before we left we found it helpful to research all the social service benefits available and to prioritize the tasks to get done first : eg national insurance no, driving licences, benefits etc - and we applied for lots of stuff in the first month upon arrival.

I think people who decide to migrate want it to work so badly that we might put in the extra effort/ motivation / determination/ resourcefulness to find jobs etc just make it work. Remember you don't have to do it all yourself now that you are part of a couple- share the load.

Salopian and i are similair ages to you . Our finances were/ are very tight but it's been a great thing to do. England is such a wonderfully interesting and beautiful country.

lets hope you find your energy and courage , give yourself plenty of time to resettle and please be kind to yourself -

with best wishes Julie and Salopian
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:33 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Beedubya pity that that site services Manchester,i would certainly feel a little less scared to return home if i knew there were services available to me at reasonable prices and organized also.
It may be the case that i will have to go stay at a backpacker type accommodation to begin with as its cheap and i dont want to dip too much into my savings as i know how quickly they could diminish.
London seems to have so many people looking for accommodation so just that aspect is a challenge.
Ive looked at house sharing sites etc but all seem to want people with jobs ,paying up front for six months is an option i guess.
I have no guarantor im on my own ( my life story ) i guess im due some luck so maybe i may get a few breaks .

Thank Beedubya
Many UK universities rent out their accommodation for a reasonable price during summer break. Some of the accommodation is en-suite. Some do B & B too.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Yes, it is indeed scary to contemplate returning after being away for so many years. I have the same problem, having been away for 25 years. The old get up and go has got up and left. My mind is nostalgic for the old days in England, but the reality is different. Society has changed there, both on a human and financial level. I thought three years ago, when the economy hit the skids, that it would have probably recovered by now. But, it hasn't. If anything, it's gotten worse. So many cut backs. For me, library closures and the huge increase in Uni fees speaks volumes; along with England being one of the worst European countries regarding pension payments. It also looks as if the NHS has deteriorated too and is facing more cutbacks
Heavens - The economy has hit the skids in most countries! I have been in the USA 30 years and today I am unemployed! So what if it's the same in the UK? At least I will be back where I belong and I will get a job eventually.

The only drawback is I need a job in the USA to save up to leave the darned place one and for all!
Old May 5th 2011, 1:09 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Thanks everybody for you advise and support i shall keep the forum posted on my progress,i doubt i will be in the UK until later this year so it could be my winter of discontent

Cheers.
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Panhandle. Fully appreciate your trepidations in returning to London.

Do keep us informed including thoughts prior to leaving. Wonder what city in Oz you are in?

I was back in London last year for an extended period. I love the city very much but decided i had little wish to work there anymore,pulled the plug in 92, where that is concerned and being a little older than you don't expect I would find it so easy(workwise).

One thing I noticed is that if anything London appears to have got far younger.

Almost without exception all the folk that I knew from my times( the late seventies and through the eighties) have long deserted London.
A few live in the Home Counties but most have dispersed across the Globe.

There is a saying about no going back in life and although I am still in the market for an investment flat there and would certainly love still to spend a few summer months there from time to time,I couldn't help but feel that my London days have sadly in many respects come to an end.

Then your case having family there could make it a very different experience.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Good luck Panhandle. Fully appreciate your trepidations in returning to London.

Do keep us informed including thoughts prior to leaving. Wonder what city in Oz you are in?

I was back in London last year for an extended period. I love the city very much but decided i had little wish to work there anymore,pulled the plug in 92, where that is concerned and being a little older than you don't expect I would find it so easy(workwise).

One thing I noticed is that if anything London appears to have got far younger.

Almost without exception all the folk that I knew from my times( the late seventies and through the eighties) have long deserted London.
A few live in the Home Counties but most have dispersed across the Globe.

There is a saying about no going back in life and although I am still in the market for an investment flat there and would certainly love still to spend a few summer months there from time to time,I couldn't help but feel that my London days have sadly in many respects come to an end.

Then your case having family there could make it a very different experience.
I still like London at my age, and think this quote has merit.

http://www.samueljohnson.com/tiredlon.html

However, I think that life in London needs more money than I have to be enjoyed on a permanent basis.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Panhandle, there are many of us who are much older than you, been away longer than you who are returning or plan to return. Sometimes faith is called for. I feel that you are very clear that this is what you want to do. Be at peace with your decision and handle the rest one step at a time.
I think it would be useful for you to read through the thread MBBTTUK Over 50+. I know you are not that old but there is a lot of real information in that thread.
Make a list of things to look into and get started. Like Sallysimmons says... baby steps. I feel sure that it will all fall into place for you.
If London is important to you because of friends, drop them an email and see what help they can be. If they are true friends they will help.
The unemployment rate is lower in London than elsewhere. Have you thought about starting your own business? You sound like a fella with some skills. Or have you checked the Olympics website to see if they are seeking people. I am sure that they are. They hired hundreds of people in Vancouver. Even if it was just short term it would be a start while you network.
Think positive. Have faith. All will be well.
(I liked the idea of looking for rentals in newsagents windows... why deal with agents if you don't have to.)
All the best
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:59 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Thankyou for the latest replies to my post,its good to know i have'nt been forgotten, .
Well not much has happened yet,as im still in the mits of tying thing up here in Melbourne,so im playing a waiting game at the moment,i expect to be stuck here until August earliest.
Watching the present situation unfold in the UK has made my potential upcoming trip even more scarier,i know london is where most of the jobs are,though london is where most of the people are.
Im desperate to return but i dont want to slum it,ive been researching for jobs but until my boots are on the ground-any progress will not be realised.Im at the point in life where i just want to drop anchor,i cant seem to concentrate on anything else,my mind is just set on that and nothing esle.My desire to live in Aust has now vanished,nothing here for me now.Don't know why its come to this,i have tried too settle,i dont know where ive gone wrong.

I have to admit my spirit is at an all time low,i'd always been in full employment,the prospect of door knocking in London for a job in the present environment with the impediment of no real skill to offer makes me wonder if i should even try.
I would like to set up a business but just don't know what i would succeed at,im more than happy to put in 50 hr a week in any job.I guess the only way im going to sort myself out is to just get over there and give it a go.Im hoping something will come along that will lead me to something etc,this has been the case in the past,its just so scary now the news coming out of the UK,High unemployment,low wages,high inflation,high property prices and high rents,makes me wonder why all those asylum seeker's head there !

There is a good chance i will delay my relocation until early next year as a northern winter might just add to my misery.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I still like London at my age, and think this quote has merit.

http://www.samueljohnson.com/tiredlon.html

However, I think that life in London needs more money than I have to be enjoyed on a permanent basis.
Pretty much what I think. I wouldn't rule it out completely in my case,but do ask myself how long do i really want to work for?

Being over 50 could retire in a country like Malaysia now as I meet the requirements.

Never tire of London though as it has more of the type of things that interest me than almost anywhere else.
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the present situation unfold in the UK has made my potential upcoming trip even more scarier,i know london is where most of the jobs are,though london is where most of the people are.
Im desperate to return but i dont want to slum it,ive been researching for jobs but until my boots are on the ground-any progress will not be realised.Im at the point in life where i just want to drop anchor,i cant seem to concentrate on anything else,my mind is just set on that and nothing esle.My desire to live in Aust has now vanished,nothing here for me now.Don't know why its come to this,i have tried too settle,i dont know where ive gone wrong.

I have to admit my spirit is at an all time low,i'd always been in full employment,the prospect of door knocking in London for a job in the present environment with the impediment of no real skill to offer makes me wonder if i should even try.
I would like to set up a business but just don't know what i would succeed at,im more than happy to put in 50 hr a week in any job.I guess the only way im going to sort myself out is to just get over there and give it a go.Im hoping something will come along that will lead me to something etc,this has been the case in the past,its just so scary now the news coming out of the UK,High unemployment,low wages,high inflation,high property prices and high rents,makes me wonder why all those asylum seeker's head there !

There is a good chance i will delay my relocation until early next year as a northern winter might just add to my misery.

Thanks
I think it's important to stay positive. I know or all of us a big move at our ripe age can seem daunting but many are doing exactly this.
Why think that you went wrong somewhere? It can be all too easy to focus on the past and decisions that we might have made differently but that's with the benefit of our experiences. Timing is everything. Everything happens in its right time.
Statistics don't seem to indicate that things are much worse in the UK than elsewhere. Even Australia has an unemployment rate just a little bit less than the UK.
Quite apart from statistics, I think if it's meant to be, the pieces will fall into place. Think positive! (I think it's not a bad idea to go in the Spring. At least that Is what I am thinking of doing. Trust your gut.)
Old May 30th 2011, 11:01 am
advocatus diaboli

Hi again, i was look through the online papers and i came across this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ole-queue.html

Do you think it is wise now to try my luck, i know papers tend to blow things up a bit.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading tings like that back in the 70's when I was in high school yet the older members of my family with no real qualifications always seems to be working. The work is there if you want it, if you are fussy about the area or type then it does cut down on whats available.
You can search whats available on here
http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...76260997&pid=2
If you just put in the post code and hit search it comes up another page where you can click where it says search all jobs for (the post code you entered)

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; May 30th 2011 at 5:21 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:59 pm
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I remember reading tings like that back in the 70's when I was in high school yet the older members of my family with no real qualifications always seems to be working. The work is there if you want it, if you are fussy about the area or type then it does cut down on whats available.
You can search whats available on here
http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...76260997&pid=2
If you just put in the post code and hit search it comes up another page where you can click where it says search all jobs for (the post code you entered)
Thanks for the link, i did check for jobs in the area im choosing to settle, though not much there .
What with so much cheap labour there due to the mass migrant intake over the years, there will always be job thats true, just wonder if im taking on more then a can cope with.

I wish somebody would knock on my door and offer me a job , Wow that would be something

Last edited by Panhandle; May 30th 2011 at 11:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.