Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Scared, Angry and Confused....

Scared, Angry and Confused....

Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:08 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scared, Angry and Confused....

and in need of a shoulder - so sorry but you're 'it'

I just need to get this all out of my head before it explodes. I know there's nothing anything can do to change the situation but writing about it will help clear my head and I do need some practical advice.

As most people here already know (from other posts) I am a 14 year breast cancer survivor. Did the surgery, chemo, radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen. Mid January I had an abnormal mammogram, detected a palpable mass, suspicious for cancer - the radiologists letter stated it was of 'great concern' to her. Although I have no insurance, I am qualified to receive mammograms under the West Virginia Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening Program (WVBCCSP). Following that report I had an immediate follow up appointment at the local hospital where I was given an ultra sound and had a brief chat about the findings with a surgeon. Due to the amount of scar tissue in the area (prior surgery) he was unsure as to what the situation was. As he put it, it showed some characteristics of a tumor but others not. I needed a biopsy. Obviously my head was up my arse, and dealing with something like this alone ( hubby wasn't well enough to accompany me) wasn't the best place to be.

Next day, I received a phone call from the WVBCCSP with an appointment that afternoon with highly respected surgeon at his offices. This guy is partner in group practice of four, who have extensive experience in this area ( the owner iirc sits on the American Cancer Society board) so in that respect they (he) has the relevant expertise. I takes myself to their offices (more like a 5* hotel) along with all my reports, mammogram films ( both here and from the UK), scans etc. He spends a fair amount of time looking at them, then he gives me an examination. He confirms yes there is a palpable mass present and yes a biopsy will be needed but his 'gut' instinct (based upon his experience and what he saw on the films) is that it's not cancer. However, until the biopsy it couldn't be ruled out completely, especially given my history. He was very honest and open with me and when I pushed he responded that while he couldn't say for certain at this stage if it was cancer, he could tell me that if he thought it definitely was then he would have told me so that I could have been preparing to deal with it plus he would want it biopsied asap. I guess in that respect that's the best he could do - and I appreciated his openness.

His staff scheduled me for the biopsy two days later, but he had them reschedule it for Feb 11th (reason being he didn't think it warranted such immediate priority as he was not thinking it was cancer) In one respect I was happy with this ( after all he had seen all the films, done the exam and was still viewing it as low priority) in another I was upset that I still had this hanging over me for a few more weeks. Fast forward to Feb 11th. Roads from our house to the hospital impassable due to the snow and ice appointment now rescheduled for Feb 18th.

I am now at the stage mentally of breaking point. One part of me is clinging to the hope (largely based on the surgeons 'gut' instinct) that this will be a clean biopsy, the other part of me ( which is winning) is that it really is round two with this ****er - and i don't know if I have the personal strength to gear myself up for that battle. It would be a lot more bloodier than the first and I'm scared. Compounding all of this is my domestic situation. My biggest source of strength if I do have to fight this b'astard again would be my hubby - yet because of his condition I wouldn't be able to do it and look after him at the same time. Plus I can't take him to the UK (where I would have the support of my family to help) because he wouldn't be eligible for care support there. Hell we wouldn't even be able to live in my place in the UK as he wouldn't have wheelchair access. So he would be denied entry. Further, if I leave him in the USA our state has recently just suspended (indefinitely) the home care aide program (which he qualifies for medically) so
he would be placed in a nursing home

If I do have to deal with it here ( if the worse comes to the worse) then seemingly I can get treatment under the CDC program however, I would still have to maintain the almost 24/7 care I provide for hubby - with little if any support for him (or myself for that matter) - my head is cabbaged.

Oh yes then to add to ALL of that - there's the 'little' matter of my I-751 - which is due by April. Things are tight here $$$' wise and I don't know if we can afford to pay for that and buy a ticket home *if* I need to go there. Further, if I do need to go back to the UK without completing my I-751, where does that leave us - besides up shit creek without a paddle???? Right now I'm holding on to what bit of sanity I have left, so many 'ifs'. I haven't been able to discuss this with my family (apart from my son ) because I know their response will be 'get back here NOW!", plus I don't want to worry them(my mum is 71). I don't know what to do for the best. If i never had the I-751 looming then that would be one less thing to worry about - at least i would have the cash to go home if I absolutely *needed* to - but as it is I'm in no-mans land right now.

Question: Is there a 'humanitarian' clause/ get out, if I don't complete the I-751 due to the circumstances I've outlined. In other words, *if* I had to return to the UK would I lose my CR1 status and have to start all over again?

Question: Although I have been told by a hospital social worker in her opinion I would qualify for full treatment here in the USA if I needed it - I'm not so sure about that. Anyone??

Question: Is there a 'humanitarian' entry available for me to take hubby to the UK if I need to go back there??

Thanks for taking the time to read this - it helped just spewing it all out. keep your everything comes back clean for me on the 18th .
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared, Angry and Confused....

Originally Posted by Songbird
and in need of a shoulder - so sorry but you're 'it'

I just need to get this all out of my head before it explodes. I know there's nothing anything can do to change the situation but writing about it will help clear my head and I do need some practical advice.

As most people here already know (from other posts) I am a 14 year breast cancer survivor. Did the surgery, chemo, radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen. Mid January I had an abnormal mammogram, detected a palpable mass, suspicious for cancer - the radiologists letter stated it was of 'great concern' to her. Although I have no insurance, I am qualified to receive mammograms under the West Virginia Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening Program (WVBCCSP). Following that report I had an immediate follow up appointment at the local hospital where I was given an ultra sound and had a brief chat about the findings with a surgeon. Due to the amount of scar tissue in the area (prior surgery) he was unsure as to what the situation was. As he put it, it showed some characteristics of a tumor but others not. I needed a biopsy. Obviously my head was up my arse, and dealing with something like this alone ( hubby wasn't well enough to accompany me) wasn't the best place to be.

Next day, I received a phone call from the WVBCCSP with an appointment that afternoon with highly respected surgeon at his offices. This guy is partner in group practice of four, who have extensive experience in this area ( the owner iirc sits on the American Cancer Society board) so in that respect they (he) has the relevant expertise. I takes myself to their offices (more like a 5* hotel) along with all my reports, mammogram films ( both here and from the UK), scans etc. He spends a fair amount of time looking at them, then he gives me an examination. He confirms yes there is a palpable mass present and yes a biopsy will be needed but his 'gut' instinct (based upon his experience and what he saw on the films) is that it's not cancer. However, until the biopsy it couldn't be ruled out completely, especially given my history. He was very honest and open with me and when I pushed he responded that while he couldn't say for certain at this stage if it was cancer, he could tell me that if he thought it definitely was then he would have told me so that I could have been preparing to deal with it plus he would want it biopsied asap. I guess in that respect that's the best he could do - and I appreciated his openness.

His staff scheduled me for the biopsy two days later, but he had them reschedule it for Feb 11th (reason being he didn't think it warranted such immediate priority as he was not thinking it was cancer) In one respect I was happy with this ( after all he had seen all the films, done the exam and was still viewing it as low priority) in another I was upset that I still had this hanging over me for a few more weeks. Fast forward to Feb 11th. Roads from our house to the hospital impassable due to the snow and ice appointment now rescheduled for Feb 18th.

I am now at the stage mentally of breaking point. One part of me is clinging to the hope (largely based on the surgeons 'gut' instinct) that this will be a clean biopsy, the other part of me ( which is winning) is that it really is round two with this ****er - and i don't know if I have the personal strength to gear myself up for that battle. It would be a lot more bloodier than the first and I'm scared. Compounding all of this is my domestic situation. My biggest source of strength if I do have to fight this b'astard again would be my hubby - yet because of his condition I wouldn't be able to do it and look after him at the same time. Plus I can't take him to the UK (where I would have the support of my family to help) because he wouldn't be eligible for care support there. Hell we wouldn't even be able to live in my place in the UK as he wouldn't have wheelchair access. So he would be denied entry. Further, if I leave him in the USA our state has recently just suspended (indefinitely) the home care aide program (which he qualifies for medically) so
he would be placed in a nursing home

If I do have to deal with it here ( if the worse comes to the worse) then seemingly I can get treatment under the CDC program however, I would still have to maintain the almost 24/7 care I provide for hubby - with little if any support for him (or myself for that matter) - my head is cabbaged.

Oh yes then to add to ALL of that - there's the 'little' matter of my I-751 - which is due by April. Things are tight here $$$' wise and I don't know if we can afford to pay for that and buy a ticket home *if* I need to go there. Further, if I do need to go back to the UK without completing my I-751, where does that leave us - besides up shit creek without a paddle???? Right now I'm holding on to what bit of sanity I have left, so many 'ifs'. I haven't been able to discuss this with my family (apart from my son ) because I know their response will be 'get back here NOW!", plus I don't want to worry them(my mum is 71). I don't know what to do for the best. If i never had the I-751 looming then that would be one less thing to worry about - at least i would have the cash to go home if I absolutely *needed* to - but as it is I'm in no-mans land right now.

Question: Is there a 'humanitarian' clause/ get out, if I don't complete the I-751 due to the circumstances I've outlined. In other words, *if* I had to return to the UK would I lose my CR1 status and have to start all over again?

Question: Although I have been told by a hospital social worker in her opinion I would qualify for full treatment here in the USA if I needed it - I'm not so sure about that. Anyone??

Question: Is there a 'humanitarian' entry available for me to take hubby to the UK if I need to go back there??

Thanks for taking the time to read this - it helped just spewing it all out. keep your everything comes back clean for me on the 18th .
Get hold of Rete or Meauxna re 751-PM 'em or check profile for their email....

Otherwise, oh my dear heart, all best thoughts-strong thoughts going to you. Makes me feel like a whiney baby.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:24 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Get hold of Rete or Meauxna re 751-PM 'em or check profile for their email....

Otherwise, oh my dear heart, all best thoughts-strong thoughts going to you. Makes me feel like a whiney baby.

Aww thank you for that cindy
I will pm them - I just know how much they have on their plate and didn't want to lay this solely at their door so to speak
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC, if you do not file the I-751 on-time, then you are no longer a Permanent Resident..but don't quote me on that. As far as a humanitarian reason for being late, I don't know if there is such a thing.

Only thing I would definitely make sure of is to make sure none of the monetary help you would get to pay for your treatments (if needed), would be classed as means-tested benefits. If it is, then your I-864 sponsor could get slapped with paying it back to the gov't.

Good luck hon and I hope for all of your sakes that this is a false alarm. Hopefully meauxna and Rete can give you some help re: immigration impacts.

EDIT: are you absolutely sure that he wouldn't be able to qualify for care on the NHS if you relocated to the UK? I know we were told I would get treatment for my pre-existing condition. Although you would possibly have a problem with sponsoring him if you don't have employment (from my understanding).

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 12th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Aww thank you for that cindy
I will pm them - I just know how much they have on their plate and didn't want to lay this solely at their door so to speak
yes, but they are good people, came to my aid on immigration issues. Rene might be able to help too.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
yes, but they are good people, came to my aid on immigration issues. Rene might be able to help too.
Here I am!

Songbird, I'm so sorry to hear everything you're going through. Big hugs to you!!

To my knowledge, USCIS does allow late filing of the I-751 if you have a good reason for it (which I'm sure yours would be)...BUT....not TOO late. And not if you're going to be overseas. Is April the beginning of the 90-day window? If so, I'd put the I-751 thoughts on hold for the moment, and concentrate on finding out where you stand medically. No sense stressing about the I-751 if all goes well, you know? Don't spend your energy where it doesn't need to go, just yet.

If you find yourself in need of traveling back home, if you have time, try to file the I-751 and get your biometrics done. Then you can safely go overseas for up to 6 months with no problem (if your GC is still valid, of course). If you file the I-751 as soon as you can in April, you should have the biometrics done just a few weeks later, and can then leave the USA (if your GC is still valid). Have someone check your mail in the USA and have them send your 1-year extension letter to you overseas so you will have it in hand for your return to the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

On the $$ side, it maybe possible to get a waiver for the filing fees..

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read this, Songbird, sending huge cyber-hugs your way.

You must be absolutely frantic, but don't forget the surgeon didn't think it was cancer and there's a very good chance all will be fine on the 18th

What must be making it a hundred times worse is the home care being suspended which is just piling on the worry for you both. No wonder you're 'cabbaged' right now, and I'd be exactly the same, but if possible take one step at a time - very good chance all will be fine.

I'm sorry I don't know he answers to any of your specific questions regarding immigration.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Songbird, it never rains huh....Stay strong sweety, take one day/thing at a time and try not to give up under the strain.

I would try and find out for 'sure' what your hubby would be able to get, health wise, in the UK. Do you have any family that could help you out here in the US, while you are going through the tests etc?

Wish I had a magic wand sweety, I will keep you in my thoughts, hoping for the best
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here I am!

Songbird, I'm so sorry to hear everything you're going through. Big hugs to you!!

To my knowledge, USCIS does allow late filing of the I-751 if you have a good reason for it (which I'm sure yours would be)...BUT....not TOO late. And not if you're going to be overseas. Is April the beginning of the 90-day window? If so, I'd put the I-751 thoughts on hold for the moment, and concentrate on finding out where you stand medically. No sense stressing about the I-751 if all goes well, you know? Don't spend your energy where it doesn't need to go, just yet.

If you find yourself in need of traveling back home, if you have time, try to file the I-751 and get your biometrics done. Then you can safely go overseas for up to 6 months with no problem (if your GC is still valid, of course). If you file the I-751 as soon as you can in April, you should have the biometrics done just a few weeks later, and can then leave the USA (if your GC is still valid). Have someone check your mail in the USA and have them send your 1-year extension letter to you overseas so you will have it in hand for your return to the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Do the USCIS not have some kind of system in place for low income or folk in need of financial help!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Do the USCIS not have some kind of system in place for low income or folk in need of financial help!
Yes, you can apply to have the fee waived....not sure what the criteria is or how strict they are about it, though.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:27 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can apply to have the fee waived....not sure what the criteria is or how strict they are about it, though.

Rene
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Found it.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:31 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Only thing I would definitely make sure of is to make sure none of the monetary help you would get to pay for your treatments (if needed), would be classed as means-tested benefits. If it is, then your I-864 sponsor could get slapped with paying it back to the gov't.
Well I filled in all the forms and spoke to the staff at both the Health dept and the WVBCCSP - had it detailed I wasn't a USC and my current status plus our joint income - so far as the screening program goes I qualified.

At the hospital I was taken to see a social worker ( who partners up with the state DHHR - I know this because she had access on her pc to all my hubby's and my details) She was quite emphatic that even without being a USC my treatment would be covered and wouldn't impact upon my sponsor as if I needed the treatment it would be deemed 'life threatening'. According to her ( and she has other patients/clients in a similar situation) I would be entitled (as they were) to full Medicaid cover. Further, she stated that regardless she was confident that even if there was a problem she would go to bat against the hospital admin if needed be and was sure she would win. Bottom line I would get treatment either via full coverage, or waived hospital costs. she's right.

are you absolutely sure that he wouldn't be able to qualify for care on the NHS if you relocated to the UK? I know we were told I would get treatment for my pre-existing condition. Although you would possibly have a problem with sponsoring him if you don't have employment (from my understanding)
Yep he wold qualify for NHS care he wouldn't however qualify for any state benefits i.e. care aid. Further, my UK accommodation would be considered unsuitable, so we wouldn't have anywhere to live right off the plane. Plus as you rightly say I wouldn't have a job (or if I did return home in those circumstances) have much prospect of getting one to show that I could supplement our income to the level required for entry

Good luck hon and I hope for all of your sakes that this is a false alarm.
Thanks sweetie

Here I am!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks hun

well the 90 day window closes in April - hence my dilemma. Bottom line I suppose I can wait for the Feb 18th biopsy/results and then make that call. Dealing with the 751 hasn't really been a priority for us right now (this whole thing couldn't have come at a worse time!) Do we file the 751, spend the money on that if I can't even get treatment here *if* I need it? Or do we delay the 751 as long as possible till we find out *if* I need treatment here I can get it? Also, if I do have to return to the UK then it would obviously be for longer than 6 months - what impact would that have upon my status assuming I had a properly filed 751 with my conditions lifted? As you can probably tell I'm not even thinking coherently right now. My head is pretty muddled up. I'm generally a fairly strong person but this whole thing has knocked me for 6. I hate that I'm not able to think this through clearly and I sooo appreciate all the help and advice you and others are giving.

EDIT: I'm checking out the link - thank you

Thank you all so much for your support and advice - you have no idea how much it helps just actually being able to 'tell' someone all of this.

Last edited by Songbird; Feb 12th 2010 at 9:36 pm. Reason: other replies
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:37 pm

Also, if I do have to return to the UK then it would obviously be for longer than 6 months - what impact would that have upon my status assuming I had a properly filed 751 with my conditions lifted?
You'd mostly likely be OK to stay in the UK up to a year. You'd get questioned as to the length of your stay when you return to the USA, as you have good reason for being gone that long, just keep your ties to the USA intact while you're gone.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Songbird, I know that you are probably having it tough emotionally right now. Our eldest daughter had a double masectomy in September, and she unloaded her emotions on me, although that is what I am there for I guess. So our thoughts are with you, and you sound like a tough cookie, so hang in there. Things will work out OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.